Load DataReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyWidenersLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Repackbox Titan Reloading

Thread: M1941 Johnson

M1941 Johnson

Hello forum,
    Well, I finally got the rifle of my dreams, a M1941 Johnson. And I really got it at a great price. But, the barrel is "shot out". It will not group and "keyholes" badly. It appears as if somewhere down the line, someone may have fired "corrosive" ammo in it, and then didn't clean it for years. The barrel is badly pitted. So, does anyone know where I can get a replacement barrel? Any help would be appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Johnson.jpg  

Boolit Master

That's a really nice rifle. I wish I could help you but I have no idea where you'd get an extra barrel.........

Unless you had JES rebore it to .35 Whelen.

Boolit Grand Master

Banned
    The 1941 Johnson was a great design. It was eclipsed by the Garand but it has its place in history. I can't help you with a replacement barrel but there probably are some out there.

Good Luck and welcome to the forum

MAN -- I HATE YOU!! LOL -- been wanting one for years and years ... can kick myself for not buying when I had the opportunity ... sorry, can't help you with the barrel issue.

Good luck in your quest!!

Boolit Grand Master

You might check with cmp/dcm as to if they could get you one. Also try kriegers Douglas or other barrel makers as one might have the countour on file. The big thing will be getting the barrel timed correctly. Most of the early Garands and Johnsons seen corrosive ammo, and werent cleaned as well as they should( not only to clean but in the way they should. hey were cleaned from the muzzle with no guide or rod support causing alot of wear at the muzzle also.

Boolit Master

The Johnson used combination trunnion/guide on the barrel and was designed to be able to use barrels that weren't designed for it. That was one of the 'selling points' of it in that barrels from bolt actions could be used on it. I think a barrel that works on a '03 Springfield will directly work. At the Senate hearing about the Johnson a fair amount was made about doing this and starts at about page 10 and ends about page 13 in the Senate report.

Johnson said that he did this so that an important part of the rifle was in production before the rifle was in production.

Maybe have a barrel blank turned for it.

Here is a link to more about this:

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufact...1941-36753.htm

http://www.forgottenweapons.com/john...enate-hearing/

Boolit Buddy

There used to be one of those in my local gun store many years and 2 cities ago. I would loved to have bought it, but it was something like $450 and I didn't have $450. It was at a time that I was putting a pristine 03-A3 on layaway because I didn't have the $200 it cost. My, how times change.

Boolit Master
    I believe that if manufacturing numbers had been the other way around, a good Garand in a world of Johnsons would be an even greater prize than the other way around. I think the barrel locking collar would have to be hardened, but it is likely that it can be detached non-destructively, and installed on a barrel blank. Alternatively you could have it sleeved, retaining more of its originality, with a liner from Track of the Wolf.

Either of those should give you a rifle with all the accuracy a Johnson can deliver, which may not be the case with that shortened barrel on eBay. Besides being shortened, I am always skeptical about a claim that a bore may clean up better than it currently is. That price is worth lot of cleaning - successful or not to him, but only if successful to you.

Now that Barack Hussein has opened up diplomatic relations with Cuba, there may be some Johnsons around the island. Some quantity was issued to the Bay of Pigs invaders. Seriously you are one lucky guy. I would like to just handle one for a few minutes. Never seen one ever.
    "Semper quaerendo plumbum"

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Congrats on your new rifle and I hope you can find a barrel for it - ought to be a lot of fun.

I well remember these rifles being advertised in the early 60s in the Klein Sporting Goods (Chicago) ads in the gun magazines. Too bad we don't have "today's" money to travel bak in time to buy at "yesterday's prices"!

Boolit Buddy

And yesterday's availability. You used to could go to a gun show and see dozens of German 98 Mausers. The only German Mauser I've seen in the last 5 years is the one I own.

Boolit Master
    GONRA got one from Interarmco (before Armco Steel sued and they had to change to Interarms)
    waaay back in "the good olde days" along with 500 rds. of "Cuban Invasion Ammo" on 5 rd. strippers.
    (Ammo was non corrosive US arsenal stuff with FAKE HEADSTAMPS!)

These are NOT "gas operated" but SHORT RECOIL - try to find another military rifle like that!

Good news is - you can reload with any .30-06 powder that's OK for bolt action rifles.
    Back in 1960's (+/-) era loaded original surplus Hodgdon 4831 and beatup AP pulls.
    Shot Just Fine.

Bad news is - be REALLY CAREFUL to make sure every round (commercial, handloads, etc.)
    CHAMBERS FREELY.
    You'll have to double check this - but am pretty sure the Johnson's CAN fire
    if a round prevents the bolt from rotating to the completely locked position.
    This is ESPECIALLY IMPORTANT if you have it rebarreled.

When you get it rebarreled, regardless of caliber, check every round "for free chambering"
    to make sure to avoid destroying this Collector's Item - or you.
    Last edited by GONRA; 02-28-2016 at 09:49 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by captain-03 View Post
    MAN -- I HATE YOU!! LOL -- been wanting one for years and years ... can kick myself for not buying when I had the opportunity ... sorry, can't help you with the barrel issue.

Good luck in your quest!!
    Here is another opportunity.

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=185603

Boolit Master
    I have always wanted one, just can't see the 5000 plus price tag. Good luck. Hope you find a new barrel for your prize.