Lee PrecisionLoad DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Wideners
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Henry 41 Mag initial review

Moderator Emeritus

Great pics and report. Thanks.

Boolit Master

I won an Mossberg o/u in a raffle and subbed a Henry steel .357 plus cash(dealer charged $700. for the Henry). I would second the OP's evaluation. I was very disappointed in the barrel finish, looked like it was taken off the lathe and blued! Mine had ejector problems(very weak,some didn't clear) and if it had shot better I would have had Henry correct it. The gun was not as accurate as my two Rossi's but not inaccurate so I sold it. I had hoped it would shoot well due to my experience with their .22's but it was not to be. Also the Henry is about a pound heavier than comparable 92's.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Boolit Bub
    Loaded up some Laser Cast .412 215gr SWC. Starting with a freshly cleaned bore, I took a couple of fouling shots, then first shot on paper hit almost dead center...COOL!.. then rest was not so cool.

210gr Remington JSP were not much better.

From 50 yards I would think I would be able to keep most shots within the 8 ring.
    Majority of the spread is vertical, what would cause that?
    So...is it the rifle, bullet/load selection, scope or operator?

KO

Boolit Bub
    I was going to try the Ranch Dog TL411-255 that was designed for the Marlin 1894 .41 Magnum, but it does not chamber in the Henry.

KO

Banned

the ranch dog molds are designed to combat the marlin gap.
    notice the nose it's there to get across that gap and align the boolit with the barrel.

severe vertical stringing is generally caused by velocity variations.
    in this case I would say it is the barrel getting a layer of lube built up then the group shifted to where it should be. [I have seen it take over 11 shots to move lube down a barrel to the muzzle and even it out to a consistent C.O.R.E. condition]
    I'd say the higher ones are the fouling shots and the bottom bunch is your actual group.
    if a lever rifle has a major problem [bedding or inconsistent placement of the front rest] it tends to wander off at angles.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    the ranch dog molds are designed to combat the marlin gap.
    notice the nose it's there to get across that gap and align the boolit with the barrel.

severe vertical stringing is generally caused by velocity variations.
    in this case I would say it is the barrel getting a layer of lube built up then the group shifted to where it should be. [I have seen it take over 11 shots to move lube down a barrel to the muzzle and even it out to a consistent C.O.R.E. condition]
    I'd say the higher ones are the fouling shots and the bottom bunch is your actual group.
    if a lever rifle has a major problem [bedding or inconsistent placement of the front rest] it tends to wander off at angles.
    Thanks, I did not know that about the lube, I'm usually working with 8.375" or less of barrel length.

I have a .411 sizer coming, will do some more testing in week or so.

KO

Banned

Now I really really want one!

Boolit Grand Master

Velocity variations can also be caused by inconsistent or inappropriate crimp or a powder that's not optimal for the situation. I'm a hard-headed German so I'd piddle a bit longer with your load, ko41. I think it shows a bit of promise.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Buddy
    Got one on Monday. Slugged the bore twice and both times was .4105. 410459 sized at .4115 would chamber but 41032 sized .4115 had trouble with when chambering. Hornady 210 HP chambered easily. Does the 41028 have same profile as Hornady jacketed round ?

Boolit Mold
    I think your review is pretty accurate. I bought one back in late January when Davidson had a few to sell to vendors. I paid $800.00 for mine--a premium for "gotta have one in 41 mag" IMO. The gun is beautiful--but mine has continuous issues with screws coming loose after each shooting session. The anodizing on the metal comes off very easily with little abrasion--the trigger pull is a pretty heavy though I expect that to ease up with use. Accuracy is acceptable--but by comparison my cheaper rossi 44 mag 16" carbine will group better at 100--at least so far. If this were any caliber other than 41 mag--I would say this a $650ish quality value gun.

Boolit Man
    This has had great report and pics. I found a 41 Henry at the LGS ( on Friday 8th) and was actually impressed with the fit and finish. I am still not used to the utilitarian Blue Black finish on several lever guns we have nowadays. But the gun looked better than my Rossi 92. I had been wanting one of these and was excited till I found the price of 850 plus tax. That was going to put me out the door above 920.00 Whoa I just politely handed it back and decided to give this a little time.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by TXGunNut View Post
    Velocity variations can also be caused by inconsistent or inappropriate crimp or a powder that's not optimal for the situation. I'm a hard-headed German so I'd piddle a bit longer with your load, ko41. I think it shows a bit of promise.
    I'll keep working on it. But I was hoping for the easy way out, in that one of the best plinking loads for my revolvers would be the load the Henry liked too.

KO

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by jjnpg317 View Post
    Got one on Monday. Slugged the bore twice and both times was .4105. 410459 sized at .4115 would chamber but 41032 sized .4115 had trouble with when chambering. Hornady 210 HP chambered easily. Does the 41028 have same profile as Hornady jacketed round ?
    I have two 41028 molds that drop slightly different bullets.

I have a Saeco 220gr (pictured on left) to try too.

KO
    Last edited by ko41; 04-16-2016 at 04:21 PM.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by cherokeetracker View Post
    This has had great report and pics. I found a 41 Henry at the LGS ( on Friday 8th) and was actually impressed with the fit and finish. I am still not used to the utilitarian Blue Black finish on several lever guns we have nowadays. But the gun looked better than my Rossi 92. I had been wanting one of these and was excited till I found the price of 850 plus tax. That was going to put me out the door above 920.00 Whoa I just politely handed it back and decided to give this a little time.
    For those looking for the Henry .41, Kjergaard Sports, Lake Benton, MN had them in stock for $689.

KO

Boolit Buddy
    If anyone is looking for Lyman mold 41028 , look at Accurate Mold's 41-210A. Of the two boolits ko41 has posted from his molds, the 212 grain one resembles the 41-210A the most to me. In a Marlin 1894 44 Magnum, the RNFD shoots the best when sized larger and I'm hoping 41-210A does the same in Henry.

Boolit Bub
    I was able to get out and try some more of the 212gr Lyman 41028. Things are starting to come around. The Henry sure is a smooth functioning lever action but it still needs a trigger job.
    50 yard Target, there are 11 shots in that one cluster.

Fired cartridge cases come out sooty on one side.

KO
    Last edited by ko41; 04-15-2016 at 03:38 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Any news on your 41, OP?
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by TXGunNut View Post
    Any news on your 41, OP?

Just been shooting my fun loads out of it with some 255gr WFNGC loaded up got
    with LilGun and 296. Makes it a real
    thumper. I haven't done anything to it but shoot it. Several hundred rounds down range now. I never did get it scoped as I've had too many projects going on and everyday I'm off I've got other more pressing things to take care of around the house.

I do really like it. It's no CCL, but will do until Marlin makes a new batch of them.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by osteodoc08 View Post
    Guesser, there was never a Winchester in 41 Mag, but I've handled and shot several in other common calibers for the 92 model. It was more of a general statement than specific caliber.

My favorite was my Marlin CCL I had to let go. I sold it to a member here a few years ago.
    ive still got it, also just got a new Henry 41 magnum, but mine is not blue its CCH.

ronnie

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by TUG View Post
    ive still got it, also just got a new Henry 41 magnum, but mine is not blue its CCH.

ronnie
    Whoa, what?! I didn't know they offered it in CCH. Probably chemical but still. That's kewl