WidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationLoad DataReloading Everything
Titan Reloading Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Win 296

Win 296

I ended up with a lb of WIN 296, and I was wondering if y'all had any experience with it.

I'm currently loading for 44 Mag, and 357 Mag, at least as relevant to '296's envelope. From what I understand, 'it's a lot like H110.

win296

As I understand it, it is the same powderW296 and H110.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bradh View Post
    As I understand it, it is the same powderW296 and H110.
    Not the same, close, but not the same.
    Everybody should know NOT to reduce the listed load by more than 5%!!!!!! for either powder.
    Calamity Jake

NRA Life Member
    SASS 15704
    Shoot straight, keepem in the ten ring.

Banned

Best ever. H110 and 296 are the exact same powders but with a batch difference sent for each canister brand. It has been more of a nut case for me with H110 working in some guns and 296 better in others. 296 works best in Ruger BH's, SBH's and SRH's, S&W's and BFR's but the RH loves H110. WHY?
    Hodgdon controls many powders, WW, IMR and theirs but each works different so I use IMR or WW for most. Then you have Alliant and AA but Alliant has not changed powder that much over years. AA has never worked for me. Money wasted with many cans of the stuff. IMR has always been best.
    Yeah, everyone uses H110. Ever try anything else?

It's looking good for the 300 blackout loads I am working up. So far I am pleased. Back a long time ago I used it for some .357 loads and it worked well in those too.
    On every question of construction let us carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed.

Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Johnson, June 12, 1823

Vendor Sponsor

There are better choices for lighter boolits, but IMO W296 and H110 are the ONLY choices for max loading with heavy boolits, 300gr and above in .44 mag and Ruger Only .45 Colt. As mentioned, DO NOT download either of these, they like a high load density and a heavy boolit brings out their best.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    H110/W296 is great for mag loads, stick with heavier bullets for less forcing cone erosion, do not reduce loads and use mag primers.

Boolit Master

MP-300 Pro was supposed to be Alliant's powder to fill the 110/296 slot. Has anyone tried MP-300? How did it work out?

From what I remember of H110 in a 44 MAG, it's a plug-n-muffs type of load-- serious shock and awe. Is WIN 296 similar?

Quote Originally Posted by Boolit_Head View Post
    It's looking good for the 300 blackout loads I am working up. So far I am pleased. Back a long time ago I used it for some .357 loads and it worked well in those too.
    Where did you see loads for this powder in .300BLK? I had a guy on another site talking about 9.0 gr with a 247 gr bullet.

This is not even close to filling the case half way, and that's what causes the problems.

I'm wondering where this idea is coming from?

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    Where did you see loads for this powder in .300BLK? I had a guy on another site talking about 9.0 gr with a 247 gr bullet.

This is not even close to filling the case half way, and that's what causes the problems.

Randy
    Sounds about right, Hodgdon's site lists many loads for it.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Calamity Jake View Post
    Everybody should know NOT to reduce the listed load by more than 5%!!!!!! for either powder.
    Nope, H110 and W296 are the same powder.
    Here is a link to an interview with Chris Hodgdon that addresses that:

At about 51:20, is where it is mentioned.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by shaman View Post
    From what I remember of H110 in a 44 MAG, it's a plug-n-muffs type of load-- serious shock and awe. Is WIN 296 similar?
    I don't load .44 magnum, but in .454casull (ruger srh), 296 is my go-to powder almost always.

Definitely heed the warnings of others above; do not over- OR under-charge cases with this kind of powder. A half-charge will likely blow up your gun as quickly as an over-charge.

Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post

Randy
    Maybe from the Hodgdon site? http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/rifle

Shows a number of loads for 300 AAC Blackout. From 115gr to 230gr projectiles. Would never have thought of H110 as a suitable powder. Having very good results with IMR-4227.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by shaman View Post
    I ended up with a lb of WIN 296, and I was wondering if y'all had any experience with it.

I'm currently loading for 44 Mag, and 357 Mag, at least as relevant to '296's envelope. From what I understand, 'it's a lot like H110.
    Shaman -

Howdy !

WW296 is superb stuff !

For .357Mag, my go-to load for 35+yr has been:
    14.5gr WW296 and SP Magnum primer, under a Lyman SWC of 158 -172gr.
    These don't have to be gas checked.

I also used WW296 in my 22" .357 AutoMag " Carbine ( set-up w/ a .358" cal barrel ), and bullets of 150 - 180gr. In the AutoMag just mentioned, H110 and WW296 shot identically well.

With regards,
    357Mag

Quote Originally Posted by dudel View Post
    Maybe from the Hodgdon site? http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/rifle

Shows a number of loads for 300 AAC Blackout. From 115gr to 230gr projectiles. Would never have thought of H110 as a suitable powder. Having very good results with IMR-4227.
    I'm using 15.3gr W296 in 300AAC behind the Lee C312-155-2R cast bullet loaded to the crimp groove. About 1800-1850fps. W296/H110 are the same powder. I can't believe we still argue this. Straight from Hodgdon, it is the same powder.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Calamity Jake View Post
    IT IS THE SAME POWDER. WHY DO PEOPLE INSIST ON POSTING FALSE INFORMATION??????

Sorry for yelling but I'm tired of seeing this posted. Hodgdon will tell you H110 and W296 are the exact same powder. So stop posting that they aren't. Now older lots when Hodgdon didn't own both brands may be different. But they've been the same powder for many years.

Boolit Master
    It works good in 410 shot shells to.

Quote Originally Posted by 6622729 View Post
    I'm using 15.3gr W296 in 300AAC behind the Lee C312-155-2R cast bullet loaded to the crimp groove. About 1800-1850fps. W296/H110 are the same powder. I can't believe we still argue this. Straight from Hodgdon, it is the same powder.
    Who's arguing? I'm in violent agreement. Posted the Hodgdon site as proof.

Quote Originally Posted by dudel View Post
    Who's arguing? I'm in violent agreement. Posted the Hodgdon site as proof.
    Maybe I should have said "debate", not "argue". Either way your violent agreement ruined everything.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast