Lee PrecisionRepackboxWidenersRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingLoad DataTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky

Thread: Redding 3BR measure, seems a little loose

Boolit Master

Redding 3BR measure, seems a little loose

http://www.redding-reloading.com/onl...powder-measure

I've had it for a few years and I love it but the drum annoys me by rotating down all by itself. Not a big deal but I like things to stay put.
    I'm sure a good old-fashioned rubber band would fix it, just wonder if this is common.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Grand Master

Mine drops to bottom also I think the Michrometer head is enough wieght to cause this. One way that could be an interesting fix to this and also keep drum tensioned in the same direction would be to lay out 4 holes 2 each side of drom 60* each side of measuring cavity. drill a blind hole for a light spring and plunger ball. WOuld keep drum pushed in the same direction and provide tension to hold in place. I simply lower it when throwing charges.

Boolit Master
    I always cycle mine up and let it rest after a double tap on the dump side. It rests down, rotates up to fill, rotates down to dump with a second tap. I never thought about resting it with the drum up.

Boolit Buddy
    I took the handle off mine and use the micrometer to rotate it. Stays up by itself.

Boolit Master
    I set up my RCBS powder measures so that the measuring chamber is down with the handle when pausing between powder throws. This way if it gets bumped or whatever, the powder is not settling in the measuring chamber causing a heavy charge.

The powder only fills the measuring chamber when I raise the handle and I give it two taps, then lower the handle dumping the charge.

I have two baffles in the hopper and try to move the handle with as much consistently as I can in order to get uniform charge weights.

The best powder measure still needs to be operated consistently in order to throw uniform weights.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Highwall View Post
    The best powder measure still needs to be operated consistently in order to throw uniform weights.
    That's my belief, too. The involuntary stroke doesn't hurt anything, I just wish it wouldn't do that. The charges are consistent and it doesn't leak.
    Sounds like it's normal. Thanks for the feedback.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Grand Master

I am pretty sure it's supposed to rest with the handle in the down position. At least that's the way mine winds up.