Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackboxLoad Data
Snyders JerkyWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything

Thread: 22 lr reloading

Boolit Master

22 lr reloading

I seen this in a thread in cast boolits and figured this might be a good thread starter and discussion. Has anyone bought the reloading tools from 22lrreloader.com? What results have you gotten? Boolits. .Powder?
    I being the gotta buy and try type just ordered it 10 min ago.
    If this is a viable alternative to buying, the gun ranges around here will be empty of 22lr cases.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Mag Fan ... do a search on Cast Boolits. The subject has already been discussed on several threads
    Regards
    John

Boolit Grand Master

Not sure what your intent is other than reloading and shooting but I did this about 40 years ago when I was in a remote area (no stores) and ran out of .22 LR. I had spent brass, .22 pellets and black powder... and back then everyone had strike anywhere matches.

I made a little bent spatula like tool out of about 3/32" brass rod by hammering the end flat then filing to width and thickness. The "spatula" was used to scrape out the rim then push crushed match head into the rim. A few grains of BP and a .22 pellet pushed in and I was shooting again.

So, yes it can be done and with very simple tools. Disadvantages:

- crushing match heads can and did result in a few scorched fingers
    - ignition was not real dependable but a proper priming compound should improve that bunches (which the kit has)
    - in my case using .22 pellets and BP I wouldn't call accuracy quite at benchrest quality though proper boolits and weighed powder charges would certainly improve that
    - biggest issue is that you have to position the rim so the firing pin is hitting fresh rim and after a few reloads you run out of rim to prime

Personally I think it is easier to reload centerfire brass in the same way if one had to. The primer cup could be removed and tapped flat again with a rod then priming compound added and reinsert. I figure .357 mag. or maybe .44 mag would be ideal for this but everyone has their favourite cartridges and pretty much any centerfire cartridge could be used.

However, if for a true survival situation I doubt a guy would have all the stuff required and a bow and arrow would be a better option. My opinion.

If you just want to do it for fun, have at 'er. Oh and please post results and opinions once you get a range test done. It will be interesting to get a first hand report.

Longbow

Yes I have the kit.

The mold is ****
    The new primo g compound works.

I have found the whole process a pia and not worth my time or effort.

If your thinking it be good for a pepper kit. A flint lock rifle / pistol is way better. No need for any priming compound.

If you are wanting to try it for giggles.

It dose work.

Boolit Buddy
    I have the kit and have been doing quite a bit of it. I made my own sizer with a flat piece of stock that I can push the brass through with my arbor press and punch them back out. Pretty fast.

The priming compound is nothing more than the old H48 compound. Corrosive, but so are the match heads and roll caps. Priming itself is easy. But, priming is also the key. If the compound is not quite right, it does not go off.

The mold is cast aluminum, so the first one I got was not so go, so he very promptly sent me a new one. I think I had it in a couple of days. I also took some dowels and made some wood handles, because the mold handles on this small mold get darn hot.

The whole process is really not a waste of time in my opinion, as I have not seen a 22 LR on the shelves around me in close to 2 years. Guys are just waiting for them and have inside sources, so a working guy is pretty much screwed.

All and all it is a fun endeavor. I love to cast and reload, so I find this fun too. I also have a tap o cap and am going to try the priming compound in those. Just an FYI, there is a prier thread on here that is like 20 pages long that has a ton of info that you might find very interesting. I would have t hunt it down, but if you search something like reloading primers or something, you will probably find it. Keep us posted. I think this thread has some merit.

Boolit Buddy
    This is the link to the primer thread. I found it to be one of the most informational threads I read on this site. The work done by some of the members was extraordinary.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ompound/page20