Titan ReloadingRepackboxLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2WidenersSnyders Jerky
Load Data Inline Fabrication

Thread: NEF Handi Rifle question

NEF Handi Rifle question

so I picked up a mid-80's NEF Handi Rifle in 45-70. Two questions....What is the hottest load I can cook up for it? And, can I still get the barrel fit work from H&R for other calibers?
    Vermont...First Republic...Fourteenth State

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity"....Sigmund Freud

Bureaucracy,, taking the fun out of life one stupid rule at a time,,,,

Banned

Any of the "Marlin" loads will work. Stronger than a Marlin, but less than a Ruger No. 1. I would not use the Ruger No. 1 loads. And yes other barrels will work if it is a factory 45-70, then most any barrel will be fine.

"Industry maximum average pressure for the .45-70 is established at 28,000 CUP; however, most
    of today’s SAAMI specification factory loads hover around 20,000 CUP in deference to older black
    powder-era rifles and their weaker actions, along with certain modern production firearms.
    Most handloading manuals divide .45-70 data into three categories. “Category 1” is for the US
    Model 1873 Trapdoor rifles and actions of similar strength, and should never exceed pressure guidelines
    of 28,000 CUP. “Category 2” is for stronger actions, with some referring to it as “Lever Action” or
    “Modern Marlin Model 1895” data, which is generally loaded to between 35,000 to 43,000 CUP
    (depending on source). “Category 3” is for actions designed to withstand the pressures associated with
    modern high-pressure cartridges. Examples include the Ruger No. 1, Browning Model 78,
    Winchester/Browning Model 1885 (modern version ONLY), Siamese Mauser and Wickliffe. All data listed
    in the accompanying charts are “Category 3” loads, which have been tested at a maximum pressure of
    50,000 CUP. These loads should never be used in guns of lesser strength."

http://www.loaddata.com/articles/PDF...No%20%201).pdf

in Remebrance
    Not knowing precisely which rifle you have, I would strongly suggest that you make sure you have an SB-2 frame, plenty of info and pics! available over on the graybeard site. The SB-1 frame and all early H&R's had a cast iron frame, the SB-2 is cast, heat treated steel. I'll bet you change your mind about "hot" loads, that lightweight rifle will educate you quickly. Besides, velocity ain't what counts with that cartridge, it's that godawful big hole in one side and out the other that does the job. GW

Edit: no, the Handi-Rifle is no longer produced and service is not available, in fact parts aren't either from the factory. Fitting a barrel is not difficult, mucho info found on the graybeard site.
    "If you can walk with crowds and keep your virtue,
    Or walk with Kings, nor lose the common touch,
    Yours is the earth and everything that's in it,
    And, which is more, you'll be a man my son!" R. Kipling

"Brother to a Prince, and fellow to a pauper, if found worthy." Kipling

Banned

I have been using trap door level loads with 350 grain bullets in mine, not uncomfortable to shoot, but I wouldn't want much more off a bench and really can't think of anything I'm likely to shoot inside iron sight ranges those loads wouldn't flatten.

Quote Originally Posted by Goatwhiskers View Post
    Not knowing precisely which rifle you have, I would strongly suggest that you make sure you have an SB-2 frame, plenty of info and pics! available over on the graybeard site. The SB-1 frame and all early H&R's had a cast iron frame, the SB-2 is cast, heat treated steel. I'll bet you change your mind about "hot" loads, that lightweight rifle will educate you quickly. Besides, velocity ain't what counts with that cartridge, it's that godawful big hole in one side and out the other that does the job. GW

Edit: no, the Handi-Rifle is no longer produced and service is not available, in fact parts aren't either from the factory. Fitting a barrel is not difficult, mucho info found on the graybeard site.
    According to Greybeard Forum, the Year of Manf. as told to me was wrong. First letter N (NEF) second letter L (1997), Barrel marked SB2

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity"....Sigmund Freud

in Remebrance
    Stamp on the barrel means exactly nothing. Pull the buttstock, if the frame is solid it is SB-1, if skeletonized it is SB-2. As I said, pics available on the graybeard site. GW
    "If you can walk with crowds and keep your virtue,
    Or walk with Kings, nor lose the common touch,
    Yours is the earth and everything that's in it,
    And, which is more, you'll be a man my son!" R. Kipling

"Brother to a Prince, and fellow to a pauper, if found worthy." Kipling

On an island in a lake in a rainforest of liberals
    Per my calculations and tests, the handi rifle 45/70 is strong.
    I worked up to 32 gr Unique 405 gr cast, that Quickload thinks is 88 kpsi.
    At that point the case head started flowing through the extractor misfit.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	45 70 handi rifle Unique 405 gr work up.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	24.2 KB 
ID:	162634

The way to calculating strong is thick metal.

Boolit Master
    The SB2s are very strong, the limit to your load is going to be YOU! I have one of those and really like it, but OH Buddy can it cross your eyes with safe book loads!! Any 350 gr or better cast boolit at 1000fps or better will kill anything in the lower 48 while keeping your eyes in their sockets. heck, lots of deer fall to 300gr at less than 900. .45 is a big hole!
    NEF no longer does barrels or guns for that matter, look to the aftermarket. GBO and search engine is your friend here.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

My goto load is a 350 gr. RNFP with 48 gr. Reloader7. Minimum 31 gr. for trap door level to 54 gr. for Ruger #1 level. The latter will push a 300 lb man backwards a step and probably not a good thing to shoot regularly. My normal load has enough energy for anything in N. America.

Boolit Master
    I shoot a Lyman 457122HP in my NEF/H&R .45-70, and only push it to 1450fps, and it does wonders you wouldn't believe. I have pushed much heavier bullets much faster, think a 450gr at 2200fps, and that was just too much of a good thing, but never noticed any pressure signs of any kind. The guys who said that your shoulder will give up before the rifle does are absolutely correct.
    I passed my last psych eval, how bout you?

You'll quickly determine the hottest load for your .45-70 Handi, when the rifle moves you out from under your hat as it's fired.............

Boolit Grand Master
    pietro has it! I've had the NEF for years and for my money, you can't beat it. Load to the top of the trap door loads or into the "Marlin" loads, and there isn't anything around ('cept browns, etc.) that will walk away.

Boolit Master
    I once asked H&R/NEF this question, and they assured me that the Handi Rifle could handle Ruger #1 loads. Personally, I wouldn't consider shooting such a load in such a light rifle - unless I just wanted to experience some serious pain that particular day!
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

No experience with the 45/70 Handi Rifle, but my guess is that you will give out long before the rifle does. Every 45/70 I have had kicks like a demented mule with heavy loads.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Boolit Master
    I have a Handi in 500 S&W magnum which had a pressure rating of 65,000 psi. The 500 has a large case head area in front of the rim. Since force equals pressure times area this means that the 500 exerts extremely high destructive forces. I bought mine to experiment with very large bullets at low speeds and it has done well in that application. If you google "12gauge from hell" you might find some insight into the strength of this action.
    Closest recorded range Chrony kill (3 feet with witnesses)

Boolit Buddy
    Most likely your handi can handle a bigger load than you.

Quote Originally Posted by colt1960 View Post
    Most likely your handi can handle a bigger load than you.
    That's what I'm coming to realize. Fortunately, I'm old enough to know I don't have to push the envelope of pain just because the platform can handle it.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by greenmntranger View Post
    That's what I'm coming to realize. Fortunately, I'm old enough to know I don't have to push the envelope of pain just because the platform can handle it.
    So soon we grow old, so late we grow smart!
    Wish I would have realized that when I was younger!

Boolit Master

10 to 13 grains of Unique. Cast or j. Works for me. No fillers.