Inline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLoad DataWideners
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 22 Hornet Mold?

noe has cloned the 225450 47gr spire that shoots great in my 22hornet handi-rifle I have the old ideal made mold in 1 cav but I could send ye some of those lubed and gas checked if you want

I appreciate it Littlewolf. I received a whole bunch of help from a few guys here and I'd hate to impose anymore. Thank you so much for your offer!
    He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High Will abide in the shadow of the Almighty. -Psalm 91:1

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by BUCKEYE BANDIT View Post
    My OLD Lyman is also single cav. I feel your pain,but a pot-o-lead last's a looooonnnngggg time!!!!
    Yes it does,I have both the old single cavity and a couple of the newer NOE Sir you need to check your bore some of those older Hornet have a .223 bore with 1/16" twist, most newer ones are.224 bore with 1/12"twist.
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Boolit Master

The twist is easy to check with a cleaning rod and a marking pen.

Quote Originally Posted by BrassMagnet View Post
    The twist is easy to check with a cleaning rod and a marking pen.
    Yep, that's how I checked it. 1/16 twist. .223 bore.
    He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High Will abide in the shadow of the Almighty. -Psalm 91:1

Boolit Master

I have a few boxes of .223 j words if your interested
    They are 40gr hornet Sierra#1100and 45 gr Sierra
    Shoot me a pm if you want them,my newest hornet is a .224
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Boolit Master
    I hate thieves, I'm in about the same situation with a hornet, I found a new in the box old stock charles daly superior grade last summer for the original sticker price. I finally got a bag of new brass and a Lyman M die. From what I've read it also has 1-16 twist which means that It would most likely shoot the 225438 reliably. I have been wondering if unique might work in the hornet. I hav'nt seen 2400 on a store shelf or online in years

I found this thread for you: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...or-a-22-Hornet

I'd figure 3-5gr of unique with a 45gr boolir will work great. I've been using 2gr bullseye for a 50 yard load with NOE WFN 45gr boolits Rich was generous to send me.
    Last edited by davidheart; 03-20-2016 at 10:31 AM. Reason: 2 grains of Bullseye is my current loading

Cast Boolits Owner

I dearly love the 22 Hornet and have subscribed to this thread.
    "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."
    - Albert Camus -

I would really like to thank all you guys for posting all this 22 hornet stuff ..Because ive got the bug ... And now own a contender ..
    Dave Biesenbach
    port charlotte fl

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by davidheart View Post
    I found this thread for you: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...or-a-22-Hornet

I'd figure 3-5gr of unique with a 45gr boolir will work great. I've been using 3gr bullseye for a 50 yard load with NOE WFN 45gr boolits Rich was generous to send me.
    How's 3 grains working with that bullet? I haven't gone above 2 with it being plain based and that seemed good enough. I don't use it in my bolt gun like yours, but in my 219, which is inherently a less accurate rifle, it's almost like I can't miss with it when hunting.

Did you get that WFN to feed through the magazine in your 340?

Oh yea Rich, the NOE WFN feeds perfectly fine. I could get the OAL for you after church.

2gr! I didn't go up to 3gr for Bullseye. That was a typo I'm going to fix ASAP in the above post! I'll test it up to 3gr, but I haven't gone there yet!

Well this will tell you how hectic my week has been! Here are those OAL numbers I was supposed to get to y'all "after church" last Sunday.

Lee Bator 45gr - 1.650
    NOE WFN 45gr - 1.640
    Lyman 225438 41gr - 1.745
    Lyman 225415 50gr - 1.756

Using PPC 22 Hornet Bass trimmed with a Lee case trimmer to minimum length, chamfered, deburred and flash hole deburred.

Boolits were seated to meet two requirements:
    1) Fit the Savage 342 magazine to feed properly (1.770 MAX)
    2) Seat the cast boolit touching the lands in my grandfather's rifle.

I have 35 boolits loaded up, ready for testing. The scope bonking out really hindered my testing though. I haven't had the time to fiddle with it. When I have more data. I'll be sure to post here though. Maybe the information will help somebody?

Quote Originally Posted by davidheart View Post
    Lee Bator 45gr - 1.650
    NOE WFN 45gr - 1.640
    Lyman 225438 41gr - 1.745
    Lyman 225415 50gr - 1.756
    Finally shot the NOE WFN at 1.5gr and 2gr at the above OAL's.

1.5gr Bullseye gave me 4 shots within 1 inch @ 25yards w/ 1 flier

2gr Bullseye gave me 5 shots within 1/2 inch @25 yards w/ no flier

No fouling. Report was less than a 22lr so much so one of my goats walked over in the field and laid down 5 feet from where I was shooting... and just watched me while she was chewing her cud. Report and recoil was so low I actually checked after several of the shots if they squibed.