Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxWidenersLoad DataTitan Reloading
Lee Precision RotoMetals2

Thread: ruger standard auto barrel

Boolit Master

ruger standard auto barrel

Hi all. A friend of mine asked me if I could gear him up with longer heavier barrel. Sounds interesting and something I want to do. I have a drawing and I am sure it is threaded into the breech.
    Any help/ advice would be greatly appreciated .
    Be well
    When you read the fine print you get an education
    when you ignore the fine print you get experience

Boolit Master
    I have done this and I can tell you it isn't that easy!!

Please look harder at the chamber end of the barrel and note the feed ramp is machined into the barrel, this means a lot more maching than a simple threading operation.

I have barreled Two Ruger Mark I's the first was a standard 6 inch fixed sight gun that I wanted a heavier barrel on.

Rather than re barrel it, nothing wrong with the barrel mind you just to "whippy" for my taste, I chucked the receiver and barrel into my lathe and tuned the entire barrel down so it was the same diameter from receiver to muzzle, leaving a bit of a shoulder at the receiver end.

I then turned a sleeve to fit over the reduced diameter barrel, counter sunk to fit over the shoulder I'd left at the receiver end, and used Acraglass to join the two pieces into a very permanent bonded part!

It now sports a dot scope and with some other improvements shoots very impressively!

The second I did much less work on and simply called Clarke custom and asked if they had any take off barrels from a Mark II or III.

For 100 I got a nice, never fired, 5.5 inch fluted bull barrel, and could have had a 10 incher if I'd wanted it, from a Mark III hunter.

This barrel screwed into the Mark I receiver with no issues except bring it up to center with a slight shoulder adjustment!

Pretty simple work, compared to cutting a barrel with the right threads and set up to have the feed ramp be here it needs to be when done!

I called Clarke about 4 years ago for that particular project and this is the path I suggest you take for improving you Ruger 22 auto

Boolit Master

Thanks for the advice and sharing your experience. I will talk to my buddy about your suggestion, he too thinks it is whimmpy and the added weight would improve accuracy. I am not afraid of intricate machining, it is where I shine. If I could see the barrel end I could make a better decision.
    Thanks so much Heavy Metal.
    Be well
    When you read the fine print you get an education
    when you ignore the fine print you get experience

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyMetal View Post
    Rather than re barrel it, nothing wrong with the barrel mind you just to "whippy" for my taste, I chucked the receiver and barrel into my lathe and tuned the entire barrel down so it was the same diameter from receiver to muzzle, leaving a bit of a shoulder at the receiver end.

I then turned a sleeve to fit over the reduced diameter barrel, counter sunk to fit over the shoulder I'd left at the receiver end, and used Acraglass to join the two pieces into a very permanent bonded part!

It now sports a dot scope and with some other improvements shoots very impressively!
    Impressive solution - mind if I steal this idea for another project?
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."