WidenersRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLoad Data
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox

Thread: New caster - Which to cast for?

Boolit Buddy

New caster - Which to cast for?

Long time reloader, but very undecided on what to cast for since I have lots of projectiles stashed already. There is really no clear winner as far as low inventory goes.

I load 9mm, 10mm for pistol. For rifle, 223, 30 Carbine, 30-30, 303 british, 7.62x54r, 7.62x39, 7.5x55, 7.35 Carcano and 8mm mauser.

Based purely on existing volumes i'm pretty sure I can exclude my 9mm and 223.

I'm really leaning mostly towards:

- 7.62x39 because casting is really about the only way to make it any cheaper currently. It would be fired in a semi - auto VZ2008.

- 7.5x55 because I could save my GP11 since that stuffs like gold. And perhaps there exists a mold already very similar to this round?

-7.62x54r again, plenty of factory projectiles from mother Russia, could save these and I have M39, SVT40, 91/30, m44's that could all eat this stuff (I would think).

The only other would be my 10mm, perhaps either practice rounds or some hollow points, especially if there is a mold that allows me to drop one of both?

I'm totally open to lubing methods but really doubt I want to get the lubesizer equipement, so most likely it would be for me either the tumble lube or the powder coating methods.

Thoughts? What's a good one to start with? recommended molds?

Boolit Master

7.62x54r seems the obvious one to me.
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

Boolit Master
    Of those calibers you mentioned I would start with the 8mm Mauser. Possibly because it is one of my favorites, I would then proceed to the 30 calibers. When you are satisfied with those then move onto you pistol calibers, beginning with the 40 then the 9. Working from the larger to the smaller gives you some experience and ability to note flaws in the smaller boolits.
    Paul G.
    Once I was young, now I am old and in between went by way to fast.

The end move in politics is always to pick up a gun.
    -- R. Buckminster Fuller

Boolit Master

I would start with the 30 cals.30-30 and 7.5 could use the same, carbine will be smaller, maybe with the 7.62x39 the 303 and the 62R may use the same with satifactory results and the 8 will be bigger.
    the 7.35 wil be smaller and may be harder to find. Just a thought to get you gomig with one or 2 molds
    good luck

Start with the one that's the most expensive to buy factory ammo for or the hardest to find. Which would you enjoy shooting more?

Boolit Buddy
    Probably would be the 7.5x55 then.

Boolit Grand Master

Really guys this is a real oppurtunity here to start out completely right. What new gun caliber are you wanting? Buy it moulds and cast for it. Hey any excuse to buy a new gun right???? Now seriously a 30 cal mould 125-130 grns could be used in a big share of you firearms fairly well. Also 30 cal moulds are readily available easy too find and easy to cast.

Boolit Master

Too really save money, start shooting in cowboy action shooting, with Blackpowder. BP ammo for this is terribly over-priced, so rolling your own would save you the most. Plus it gives you an excuse to buy 4 more guns.

Boolit Grand Master

I think both Accurate and NOE have molds specifically designed for the 7.5 Swiss - it takes a particular shape because of it's abrupt chamber design (no throat). It is questionable if the same boolit would be ideal for this and any other 30 caliber. On the other hand a .314/.316 diameter can be sized down for the .30 caliber and used as cast for the .31 calibers.

Your 30-30 will be the most cast friendly caliber. Maximum charges in this case are about at the ideal cast speed. Get a mold that fits and have fun.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

The simple answer is "what do you use the most of?". Start with that and work your way down.

I don't know if you have decided what you want to buy, but Lee molds are cheap and serviceable.

If you want to try something to get started with and learn the craft, try a Lee mold for 10 mm. Pistol are much more forgiving.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

My experience is limited to the 30/30 for casting for rifles at this time. Apparently, I picked the right one for me. It's a very forgiving round to cast for for venturing into the world of casting for rifles. The choices are many when it comes to a mold for the 30 caliber. I chose the Lyman #311041 (a classic). Although, there are many other designs that would work perfectly for a 30/30 it was just what I was looking for as I use it in a lever gun.

9mm: It seems to be one of the more trickier to load for for beginning for handguns. When it comes to casting for the 9mm, size is one of the biggest factors in getting a good load.

Best of luck in your new adventure.

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

Banned

30-30 would be the best one to get started with.
    once you have some casting/lubing/loading practice under your belt then moving on to the others will be a lot easier.

Boolit Master
    Which rifle do you like to shoot the most ,that's the one ��

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by robg View Post
    Which rifle do you like to shoot the most ,that's the one ��
    I completely disagree with this. If .223 is one's most frequently shot caliber it will not be the easiest for which to cast. Start with the least demanding and work to the more difficult. That's why, of your listed calibers, the 30-30 is the best starting point.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    real easy all of them. don't relay on large stocks. I have been going into sticker shock while trying to stock up now.