RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Reloading EverythingLoad DataInline FabricationWideners
RotoMetals2

Thread: .40-50 sbn

Boolit Man

.40-50 sbn

I have a Shiloh Sharps .40-50 SBN and a KAL adjustable paper patch mold on the way. Anyone got any suggestions on bullet weights or loads?

Boolit Grand Master

Should be a fun project to work with. Barrel Twist rate will determine the length of bullet it wants. A 16 twist should be happy with a 400-420 grn slug something around 1.250 -1.300 long. Wrap with a appropriate paper and thickness leaving a small circle of bullets base showing in the center, no tail is needed. Is the kal mould a flat base or cup base? a wad under bullet protects the base also. With the adjustable mould keep track of length and wieght as it makes coming back to a desired setting easier. Measure from top of blocks to base plug with depth rod on calipers and record it and weight it drops at. This way when you want XXX weight bullet you can look it up and set the base plud accurately and easily with the calipers. Also with adjustable moulds the nose dosnt change just the driving section so lighter bullets have same nose but less driving dia.

I have one with a tight chamber and a slow twist barrel 1-18, I also use the kal bullet exclusively

both the 265 and 285 gn bullets work as well as anything and I am really happy with what it does out to 600 yds with the 285 gn bullets, it is extremely accurate,

, the big heavies will shoot but are too heavy for the charge,,

I use 50 gns of 1.5 swiss or 45 gns of Old Einsford 1.5 with equal results, compress to the bottom of the neck keeping the wad in the neck,add a lube cookie and wad and set the bullet,I have to lightly taper crimp my case necks to hold a bullet ,I do this before not after seating the bullet.

win cases work best, rem are a little too thick to blow out reliably and easily

Redding dies work best for sizing but I had to take .1 off the bottom

I have shot both 330 ans 370 gn but the 285 gn wt performs better in my rifle

285s are just a whisker under 1 inch and are in my opinion a tat easier to wrap than the shorter ones,
    lover of 74 sharps
    MYWEIGH scale merchant
    " i'll tell the story 10 different ways before I'll lie to you."

Boolit Buddy
    I have found that my elder Shiloh B-prefix 1874 in .40-60 Maynard with 18" twist will stabilize a bullet up to 1.267" in length, greaser or PP. My BACO .396" x 385 gr. slick works very well for me in my .402" bore rifle, out to 500 meters anyway.