Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2RepackboxInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cz 527 17 hornet and cast

Boolit Master
    In the late 60's I tried 22 pellets with a primer in a Savage 219 22 Hornet. I did have some problems with pellets blowing out at the nose. As an unguided 16 year old, I went back to the 225415 which shot 1.25" regularly. A different pellet or small pistol primer might work, but check the bore every shot until you are sure of your pellet/primer combo.

Boolit Buddy
    Castalot, What's not to like with the 17 HH. I like the Dogtown 20 as well.

Minerat, I went the whole enchilada with NOE.

I bought both the .172 molds. I got the push through set up with .172 and .173 sizing collets. I also got both size expander plugs that I use inserted into my lee universal sizer.

For the 32gr NOE PB, I ended up using the .173 in both the sizing ring and the expander plug for the 32gr NOE PB .172. Per my posting in CBLOAD thread, I am getting dime size 5 shot groups at 50 yards running 1557 FPS AVG VEL. I have not yet moved to the 100 yard range, but, these could hold up. (Load as posted for the 1557 FPS is 2.8gr TB and a 6 1/2 REM SRP.

The key for me for .172 cast HH boolits so far seems to be the NOE tools. With the NOE matched molds, sizing dies, and expander plugs, I am getting no significant leading, no crushed casings, and very satisfactory accuracy. The 32gr PB looks like it will be a winner for me in my 527 CZ V.

v/r rch

v/r rch

Been a while since any activity on this thread.

A friend dropped off a lb of Hodgen CFEBLK and said he heard it works in the 17hh. Anyone tried it? Data I can find says 11.8 gr under a 20 gr @ 3399 to 12.8 @3652.

I have some 173-26 pc gc that I want to try it with and since it is suggested for subsonic or suppressed loads it might work being loaded down to CB velocities.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Buddy
    Minerat: it's been a while. I just saw the above. In my 527 CZ-V 17 Hornet, the CFE-BLK is what I am using for all my Jword bullets. I am very pleased with it so far. It appears a little less jumpy than LIL. In my 22 hornet, I only use LIL GUN. 13 gr and any bullet (Jword).

Let me know what you think of the CFE-BLK.

rch

Rch, what starting load of cfeblk did you use, if you don't mind. Last I tried was red dot and it sprayed like a shotgun and I have not had time to try anything else since then. I finally got enough pored to begin testing but am not sure how low to start with this powder.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    NAGR member

Boolit Buddy
    I ended up with 12.8gr CFE-BLK for all my 20gr J words (Hornady, Midway Dogtown, Midsouth nightmares, etc) and 11.4gr CFE-BLK for all my 25 gr Jwords. For me the key was to load them off the lands a bit rather than at Jam. I ended up matching the LOA that was on the factory Hornady 20 gr.

The AVG VEL was 3650's - to 3680's with the GM primers for the 20 gr Jwords and 3150 to 3230 for the 25 gr Jwords.

Hope this helps.

v/r rch

How was the accuracy? I'm getting sub half moa with my j words and 9.2 gr ltl gun so never figured to use anything else. But maybe I better give it a go. I was looking to use the CFE-BLK with PCd cast due to its sub sonic loads use in the 223. Maybe start with 5.5 gr and chrono with the 173-26 gr?

Boolit Buddy
    Minerat, I am getting nice round .5 and sub .5 - 5 shot groups at 100. This is edge to edge not center to center. I also find I am getting almost ZERO copper fouling using the CFE-BLK. I check by running a patch soaked with sweets down the barrel and then check for "the blue". Sometimes I am even getting No Blue (none).

I use LIL GUN exclusively in my 22 Hornet. 13gr of LIL GUN and any .35 gr Jword. I also use the Remington 6 1/2 primer in my 22 hornets. I haven't tried them in the 17 hornet yet.

thanks chad

Chad,

The 9.7 gr Ltl Gun with CCI 400 SR, and Dog Town 20gr HPs @ 3628 fps average gave me a 5 shot group at 100 yds of 0.440" on centers. So decided this was my go to load. But the Cfe Blk and your input has me pondering what it could do.

I got pretty good results with 11.2 gr IMR4198 , 3633 fps - 100 yd group @ 0.490".

I use the free version of On Target to measure groups and an older PACT chrono for velocities.

This gun just flat shoot.

Steve

Boolit Buddy
    Minerat, there can be more than one great answer for a caliber. My CZ 527 V in 17 hornet is a great shooter. I might try your LIL Gun load just because I have about 10 pounds of LIL GUN (I use it for my 410 as well as my hornet). I have a CZ 527 American in .22 hornet. It is the most accurate "out of the box" rifle I have ever owned. It is NOT the best with factory ammo. For me the key to my hornet is LIL GUN.

Are you doing any more with your PC 32gr Noe boolits? I have been slacking off. My wife requires that I cast outdoors and it has been a hot and rainy couple of months. I will drag out my casting pots soon. I want to try the PC (harbor freight red) on the two .17 noe boolits that I will cast.

I also need to cast a bunch of my .460 NOE collar button bullets for my 45-70's (yep, that's a plural).

thanks for staying on line with this.

v/r chad

My CZ527 Varmet 17hh did very well out of box even with factory but the LtlGun really made it shine. I have a .22-250 Bulll barreled Ruger 77 that has been 2 lb trigger, cryoed, mollied, bedded and the CZ out shoots it right out of the box.

I played with the NOE's but the weather got bad, my chrono's skyscreen leg had a run in with a 454 Casull boolit and I had to order a new one so I put them on the the back burner and just have not got back to them. I played with some 1 to 2.5 gr trail boss with pc'd 26 and 32 grs. sized to 0.172 but the targets looks like I was shooting a shotgun instead of a rifle. No leading though so that was good. Then the skyscreen took the hit while I was waiting for the barrel to cool and never got to the Blue Dot loads I was going to play with. Over the winter and this spring I finally got a bunch of the 26gr GC and the 32 PB power coated and resized but wanted to try the Blue Dot ladder I had loaded first (ran out of brass) since I had loaded all but 50 cases with J word for ground rats.

I found another 100 cases and got the CfeBlk. That got me to thinking about using it with cast. I'll probably start messing with it after Elk season in late October. Then I can chrono the Blue Dot loads and try some CfeBlk, may push some of the 26 gr PC GCs into the 2600 fps range for ***** and grins. When I get some results I'll post it. Happy to stay on line with it, us 17HH shooter got to stick together.

I have a problem with 45-70. I got a Lyman 62-560 mould from a friend, shell holder from Brassmagnet in a PIF with 2 others that I needed, some how I ended up with about 50 cases, and then a set of RCBD dies that were too cheap to pass up. Now I need the funds to get the rifle and the budget and time won't let me do the research to see what gun I want. I really want a Sharpes Quigley but the wife would frown on spending that much money LOL. I tried to convince her I had everything I needed but the gun,but it did not work. She said something about selling all that stuff and get my money back instead, so I hid in on the bottom shelf.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    NAGR member

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12