Titan ReloadingWidenersSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingRepackboxLoad Data
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cz 527 17 hornet and cast

Boolit Buddy

Cz 527 17 hornet and cast

I was on the NOE site and saw a 17 cal 32grn mould. Not sure why but this really interests me. Does anyone out there cast for the 17 hornet? If so what kind of velocity and accuracy can a guy expect? Thanks

Banned

I have fairly small hands and fingers and loading .22 cnterfires gives me fits, can't imagine what .17s are like. Do they even make gas checks, sizing dies, etc for .17s?

Boolit Master

1720 miles East of Wall Drug, North of Cooperstown, NY
    Just looked at that boolit, it is, PB, and .5"+ long. I think it is the smalles rendition of a PB 311299 I have ever seen.

I do not cast for 17, but cast much for regular hornets and up. Keep you mold hot and I believe it should do well for a good plinking boolit.

Ken
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Je suis Charlie
    Remember Lavoy!
    I'll cling to my God and my guns, and you can keep the "Change".

Boolit Master
    It would not be for me but maybe you have the patience and skill to get it to shoot. Good Luck and keep us informed if you buy it....

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    I have fairly small hands and fingers and loading .22 cnterfires gives me fits, can't imagine what .17s are like. Do they even make gas checks, sizing dies, etc for .17s?
    I have not seen any gas checks available but it is a PB mould. A guy could powder coat. As far as sizing dies I think Lee will make custom push through die for a small fee. I just wonder about the 1/9 twist rate in the CZ. It should stabilize that boolit.

Banned

I say go for it if you have the rifle. Strange as it sounds, as itty-bitty as a Hornet is, I've found it to be one of the most rewarding cartridges for reduced loadings. Makes a heck of a fox squirrel round loaded with two grains of fast pistol powder, quiet and pleasant to shoot. A .17 might be too.

Could a guy load just a primer and an air gun pellet?

Boolit Buddy
    Could a guy load just a primer and an air gun pellet?[/QUOTE]

Not sure, I'll try it and let you know.

Banned

Might work better with a small pistol primer rather than a small rifle primer.

Boolit Master
    I name most of my 'keeper' guns. I would have to name a 17 Hornet CZ ...ZeeDaisy.

The pellet thing sounds very interesting. Guys were doing that back in the 1980's with .22's over the long winter months and some were not bad. Max range was 30 feet though...

Banned

This has me intrigued now. I would worry that a primer might be too much and blow out the front of a pellet since they are hollow based up to the nose almost.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    This has me intrigued now. I would worry that a primer might be too much and blow out the front of a pellet since they are hollow based up to the nose almost.
    HHHmmm...I wonder about filling the pellet with hot glue...at least for the 1st few rounds. It would strengthen the pellet a lot I would think.

Boolit Master
    IF I remember correctly, once you had the case neck tension just right that the pellet could be seated by finger pressure undamaged- you then found just the right 'flare' that the pellet would enter undamaged but the case would still chamber. The only operations were deprime/prime and pellet seat.

Dale

I wish I had paid more attention....

Over the winter months and with the right bunch of 'goofy' guys this could be a lot of fun....

Boolit Master
    One guy would seat the pellet in the rifling & then load the primered case. That tool wouldn't be too hard to make.

Boolit Buddy
    I know this is an old thread, but, I just ordered in both of the current NOE .172 dies (26gr GC and 32gr PB), the gas checks, and a push through set. I will be using a CZ 527 Varmint 17 H Hornet with 1-9tw 24in barrel. I am hoping for a non-expanding .17 with good penetration and acceptable accuracy.

I currently cast .224 for hornet and 223 but this is going to be even smaller.

Is anybody currently casting and shooting for 17 Hornet? Has anybody actually casted with a NOE .172 die?

I will post some outcome regardless of responses just for "history" if nothing else.

v/r rch

Wow. That is some tiny casting. Years ago I used up a box of .22 air rifle pellets and a box of .22 blank yellow power loads together in a Marlin single shot .22. Decent accuracy to 20 yards but louder than a normal Long Rifle.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by castalott View Post
    I name most of my 'keeper' guns. I would have to name a 17 Hornet CZ ...ZeeDaisy.

The pellet thing sounds very interesting. Guys were doing that back in the 1980's with .22's over the long winter months and some were not bad. Max range was 30 feet though...
    I'd just buy a nice pellet gun. LOL.. (-:}

Boolit Buddy
    SITREP: I have begun testing with the 32gr NOE .172 PB bullet in my CZ 527 17H Hornet.

I have to admit that I am cheating here. I was looking for aftermarket .17 custom bullet resources and found Reed's Ammunition & Research, LLC. I do not work for them and am not associated with them, so here is the link: http://shop.reedsammo.com/17-Cal-Bullets_c278.htm. They are selling .172 32gr PB and 26gr GC boolits by the 100.

I called them and confirmed that Reed's is selling bullets cast with NOE's .172 molds. These are the same molds I just got in. I admit to ordering 100 of each bullet. I am claiming it is to serve as a benchmark for when I begin with my molds.

Back to test plan. I am going begin with Trail Boss and my magneto speed chronograph. I used the .173" .17 cal push-through die from NOE to "clean up" the edges on my purchased bullets (they came fully lubed). I have settled on a COAL of 1.631 using the Hornady comparator .17 cal insert (1.715 raw caliper measurement).

This morning I will take my first 32gr test loads to the range and chronograph them as well as grouping assessment. The JBM calculator says they should be stable down to 600 fps, so, I am hoping for a "no keyhole" test.

With the long round nose 32gr boolits, they remind me of the MIL SURP 6.5x55 with the 156gr boolits on top. Now if they will just shoot.

thanks to all that make this forum great.

v/r rch
    Last edited by rhouser; 11-10-2017 at 09:22 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    I did the first shoots with the .17hh and the NOE bullets from Reed's. I have started a thread under the CB LOADS forum to do the reporting.

Thanks rch

castalot - 17 hornet may be a CZ ZeeDaisey but this is the first 5 shot group after the scope was set on my 527 measured 0.44", no trigger job, out of the box. # 1 was the eleventh round down the bore. First 3 shots went into the upper hole and I got too excited for the last two and shot them low. 9.7 gr ltl gun, 20 gr Dogtown HP from a rest @100 yds.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170128_140744.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	23.4 KB 
ID:	207919

OP check this thread by rhouser
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...V-in-17-Hornet

FYI NOE has push thru dies and gas checks too.

and 223 are easy to reload compared to these mouse scat sized bullets. I use a Universal Case Expanding Die to expand the case necks to get them to start without crushing the case necks.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Master
    Well done! But I bet it will do even better. ( You said yourself you got excited...) I have some 22 Dogtown bullets to try ... I hope they shoot like that...

But CZ makes good stuff.. I like their rifles...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast