Snyders JerkyInline FabricationWidenersReloading Everything
Load DataRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Titan Reloading Repackbox

Thread: Traditional vs. Polymer/powder coat and haz vapors generated

Boolit Man

Unhappy Traditional vs. Polymer/powder coat and haz vapors generated

Indoor range dude gave me a little flac about shooting lead last time (understandable) Here is my question, just out of curiosity:

1. Current lube method: Tumble with LLA, allow to dry, run thru sizing die at .357 ish. Then pan lube using a variant of Barry Darr formula. Then push out, load, shoot. Been workin like a champ.

2. I am considering going to the Harbor Freight Red everyone seems to tout.

My questions: Is there any significant difference in the harmful vapors generated between the two methods? Will smoke generated likely go down with the powder coat? I can no longer generate white blood cells due to an unfortunate incident a few weeks back and I want to make sure I'm not doing something ultra-toxic.

Is one color really any better than another?

Would sizing/loading procedure be about the same?

I will use the search function to find other threads and stuff about the matter but if there is a good one or two you know of, feel free to post.

Thanks fellow casters. I sure do value the input on this board, and thank you for taking time to chime in.

Regards,
    ejl
    Last edited by bullpen7979; 02-18-2016 at 05:32 PM. Reason: punctuation

Try the coatings and alternatives forum. There is more information there than you would ever believe.

There is probably more lead particles, not vapor, from the primer than the lead bullet. The bitch about lead bullets indoors is all the smoke from the lube, especially with powders like TG. A lot less smoke with any type of coated. I hate indoor ranges, when I go I shoot plated or coated. I size my coated bullets, they load the same as lubed lead.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Banned

man alox,,, put some 231/unique behind it and tell em your shooting black powder.

the powder coating will cut down the smoke, but will increase your diameter.
    it may be a problem on the nose.

I stopped shooting at indoor ranges because of the amount of lead in the air from primers. Every time I went to the indoor range I had a hard time breathing after.

Boolit Man
    Yeah, I'm in North Dallas area and outdoors is a little hard to come by. I know there's a public range in Garland.....might give them another go if I can't get this PC thing together.
    Thanks guys.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    You are in the wrong area. Go to the alt coatings threads. We have infomation there you will find useful. PC does not generate smoke like grease. I shoot it all the time indoors.

Boolit Master
    Not to hijack, but, Can you buy non-lead primers to reload with? I know that there is factory loads using NL primers, but how about for the reloader? Just curious...

Boolit Grand Master
    My suspicion is that some of the coatings, as vaporized good very easily give off toxic fumes.

SHiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post
    You are in the wrong area. Go to the alt coatings threads. We have infomation there you will find useful. PC does not generate smoke like grease. I shoot it all the time indoors.
    No such thing as a free lunch. None of what we use is good to breathe. Indoor ranges just compound the problem. I don't shoot at any because the ventilation systems are never built right.

Garland range is good. I use the HiTek stuff for pistol, production is faster, cost is same and no problems at indoor ranges. LLA indoors chokes me up. I just oil the XD40 and go - probably >600 rnds since I cleaned it.
    Whatever!

I use White Label X-lox(LLA) for nearly all of my pistol rounds.
    I am lucky that the indoor range I usually use has excellent blowers. I never even smell the stuff. All the smoke goes downrange immediately.