Load DataInline FabricationRepackboxReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2Lee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Why powder coat?

Works fine @ 2700 in 308W. HF red.
    Whatever!

I realize that I am resurrecting a old post, but someone else like myself may be doing research. So....I can’t resist opining about someone downplaying another’s attempt to give good info for all to use!

I’m onboard with Hickok’s opinion as well. If someone has sour grapes.....put them in the compost pile or make some wine! memtb
    Last edited by memtb; 12-30-2020 at 12:26 PM.

Boolit Master

Haha. Deserves a reup. Gotta be newbies around!!

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Just got around to reading this, great post!
    Aim Small Miss Small

Boolit Master
    I was surprised to see this old post come back to life. When this was posted years ago a lot was theory, but now after the contributions of so many, our PC knowledge base has grown significantly. I know PC is the only reason I continued to cast once the shelves were reloaded with components. I haven't bought a commercial bullet since 2012. Unfortunately, now we apparently are in a much more serious component shortage with primers.

Boolit Master

Yup, PC really has taken off, so much that poly coated bullets are being used by commercial loaders - at the same price as their FMJ stuff. I tumble a lot of colors, the only boolits I still spray are 30 cal when I am using colors I mixed to get an FMJ color.
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonheart View Post
    I was surprised to see this old post come back to life. When this was posted years ago a lot was theory, but now after the contributions of so many, our PC knowledge base has grown significantly. I know PC is the only reason I continued to cast once the shelves were reloaded with components. I haven't bought a commercial bullet since 2012. Unfortunately, now we apparently are in a much more serious component shortage with primers.
    ALLOT of the credit for that lies in YOUR POSTS MAN!! ♥️♥️

Good job!

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Mold
    There are a lot of us noob's who have just woken up and started casting because we couldn't get boolits we wanted or finally saw the handwriting on the wall. Read many posts on different lubes, how to make them and apply but weren't in a position to buy a lubri-sizer or couldn't find on except on e-bay at a wild price and so went looking for something better. Found PC and will leave the toilet ring where it belongs now. Thanks to Dragonheart and Smoke for bdringing life back into casting and providing a great product.

Boolit Master
    [QUOTE=boomerpusher;5101447]There are a lot of us noob's who have just woken up and started casting because we couldn't get boolits we wanted or finally saw the handwriting on the wall. Read many posts on different lubes, how to make them and apply but weren't in a position to buy a lubri-sizer or couldn't find on except on e-bay at a wild price and so went looking for something better. Found PC and will leave the toilet ring where it belongs now. Thanks to Dragonheart and Smoke for bdringing life back into casting and providing a great product.[/QUOT

The future today may be even more uncertain than it was then but, flash back to 2012 the day of Sandy Hook. My wife and I were in bed watching the 10:00 pm news, when my wife said, "Do you have all the components you need to keep shooting"? At the time I was shooting in a weekly IDPA match plus practice. I said, "Yeah, i am good". Then she said, "You have supplies for a couple of years"! I said, "Two years,of course not". She said, "then I would suggest you get up and go order what you need to keep you shooting for the next two years". Well how could I argue? I got out of bed and on the computer and ordered over $1500 in powder and primers, but since I had 5K bullets on the shelf I said to myself, two years, no way, I 've got plenty of bullets and if I need more I will just order then.

Well long story even longer, I shot up those 5K bullets in no time, by then guys were dropping out of the IDPA because they had no ammo. The shelves were bare and most places wouldn't even take an order. Gun prices were through the roof, if you could find one. However, thanks to my smart wife, i had plenty of cases, primers and powder. But thanks to her stupid husband, I had NO Bullets!

Then one evening I was at the club range and telling an old club member I was going to stop shooting because I had no bullets. He said, "Why don't you cast your own". I said, " I cast when I was a kid, but i don't want to get back into that gooey mess". He said, "You don't have to, what color bullets do you shoot". While I stood there contemplating the question, he pulled hand out of his pocket filled with colored bullets. He said, "These are some of the colors I shoot, red, green blue and oh my the granddaughters love these pink ones". When he told me they were powder coated and how he made them in a Cool Whip container and cooked them in a toaster oven, it was hard to believe, but there they were. I asked myself how was this possible and then I remembered in one of my college classes learning lead was an unusual metal as it had an the ability to accept and hold an electrical charge. But I would have never guessed rubbing lead on a piece of plastic would generate enough of a static charge to hold powder.

By that evening I had a pound of powder on the way. My wife donated our toaster oven and the cool whip container to the experiment and that is how it all started for me. I haven't been out of bullets or bought a bullet since.

But more than that PC created a whole new and enjoyable hobby for me that I might get more pleasure out of that the shooting itself.

Boolit Mold
    Good one Dragonheart.

Banned
    I may have just read this post for the first time OR, more likely I simply have no recollection of reading it the first time.
    I wanted to point out (as Dragonheart put it) :Powder coated bullets are prettier than lead bullets; Women love PC bullets and detest ugly, sticky lead bullets.

If that isn't the best reason to use it....I just give up.

I’m trying to suck up as much knowledge as I can here. Being new at the PC thing I have had some failures but it certainly seems like my future. The last 500 rounds I shot were PC in pistol and rifle calibers and all performed well. Gun cleaning was easy and accuracy was great. Cast Boolits is the best!

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Although I think this is a rather silly thread I would like to comment - as a former Bullseye shooter.

First. If you want to determine accuracy with a pistol, NOTHING is better than a Ransom rest.

Second. Accuracy testing is done at 50 yards - period. That is the distance for the slow fire target and it is the most difficult stage to shoot a good score on. If you have an accurate 50 yard load, it will run X's in timed and rapid at closer range. We shot 50 shot groups at 50 yards with a Ransom rest to determine accuracy. 5 shot groups are next to useless. Anyone who had done much testing, or has an elementary knowledge of probability, will know that.
    not everyone uses the same standards for what they consider accurate
    my accuracy for revolvers is different than that of semi auto's 50 yds for revo's and 25 for semi's
    I do not shoot groups or use a ransom rest
    but that is just my .o2
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by white eagle View Post
    not everyone uses the same standards for what they consider accurate
    my accuracy for revolvers is different than that of semi auto's 50 yds for revo's and 25 for semi's
    I do not shoot groups or use a ransom rest
    but that is just my .o2
    Well said.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234