RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackboxInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Load Data Wideners
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why powder coat?

Quote Originally Posted by Willbird View Post
    I saw an assertion early on on the thread that if we have a higher velocity for a given powder charge that we MUST have had more pressure. When we compare cast bullet loads and jacketed loads with same bullet weight/length/shape the lead bullets typically exhibit a higher muzzle velocity with a given powder charge. This has often been attributed to lower bore friction from the cast bullet. If you have ever tried to load really light "cats sneeze" loads you no doubt noticed it is a LOT easier to stick a jacketed bullet than it is a cast bullet same weight .

To clarify I am referring to pistol stuff here, rifle stuff gets way more complex .

Bill
    The slicker bullet theory doesnt really apply imo. Softer lead or coated lead bullets are more malleable than jacketed. That is why they more easily push down a bbl. Since vel is a product of pressures, if you reduce the pressures with a "slicker" bullet, vel will drop. This is 100% true with moly coated jacketed. I see no reason it is diff with lead or coated lead. Better gas seal from a softer bullet that is slightly over sized. My theory anyway, basec on load data & chron results. Easily verified by testing undersized lead bullets & seeing the reduced vel.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Master

NW Ohio, almost as N and W as you can be :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
    The slicker bullet theory doesnt really apply imo. Softer lead or coated lead bullets are more malleable than jacketed. That is why they more easily push down a bbl. Since vel is a product of pressures, if you reduce the pressures with a "slicker" bullet, vel will drop. This is 100% true with moly coated jacketed. I see no reason it is diff with lead or coated lead. Better gas seal from a softer bullet that is slightly over sized. My theory anyway, basec on load data & chron results. Easily verified by testing undersized lead bullets & seeing the reduced vel.
    It is a complex system...the powders are designed to work with some pressure buildup before the case releases the bullet.

Resistance to the bullet by bore friction wastes energy...again easily demonstrated by trying to shoot jacketed bullets really slow until you stick one.

Agreed the dynamics of the whole system are complex and isolating effects without creating others is difficult.

Bill
    Both ends WHAT a player

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Willbird View Post
    It is a complex system...the powders are designed to work with some pressure buildup before the case releases the bullet.

Resistance to the bullet by bore friction wastes energy...again easily demonstrated by trying to shoot jacketed bullets really slow until you stick one.

Agreed the dynamics of the whole system are complex and isolating effects without creating others is difficult.

Bill
    Bill, I guess you can see the reason for Redfir's post and how this post went south in the first place.

Boolit Master

NW Ohio, almost as N and W as you can be :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonheart View Post
    Bill, I guess you can see the reason for Redfir's post and how this post went south in the first place.
    it is what it is ...........I have heard and read plenty of wild theories, a guy who does not understand how the 1911 works wrote a book on how they work with some strange ideas in it, and he is help up as an "expert"...people love his books .

Bill
    Both ends WHAT a player

Boolit Mold
    RP moderator thanks for the clean up. I appreciate it. Redfir.

Boolit Bub
    In reguards to lubricity, all one has to do to put this to bed is to handle a pc boolit. I lose half a dozen of them slick buggers everytime im resizing.

Dragonheart
    I’m a reader not a writer (poster)

Thanks for a great Post

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom_et View Post
    Dragonheart
    I’m a reader not a writer (poster)

Thanks for a great Post
    Thanks Tom. I just hope the post encourages more casters to give PC a try. i know if it were not for PC I would have been back to buying bullets a long time ago. Now I have a hobby I enjoy as much as the actual shooting, maybe more, because of the mechanics involved.

Banned
    You forgot another big bonus, -- girls like pretty boolits
    It's boring loading the same colored boolits when you don't have to

Boolit Master
    Absolutely! Have you ever tried the line of walking over to a young lady on the firing line and inquire, "what color bullets do you shoot?" now you have got a long conversation going, of course being a grey haired old fart like me helps, but some of you young guys might want to give it a try. But for this you really need to get into powder coating because strolling over and asking, "What kind of lube do you use?" is probably not going to get the same reaction.
    Last edited by Dragonheart; 05-06-2019 at 03:36 AM.

IIRC stated PC ~ 7 yrs ago. It works, why do anything else. MOA @ 200 from AR10 carbine, cast at Amax fps? Why not?
    Whatever!

Boolit Master

Why powder coat?

Quote Originally Posted by Conditor22 View Post
    You forgot another big bonus, -- girls like pretty boolits
    It's boring loading the same colored boolits when you don't have to
    What color and brand PC are you using? Those red ones look perfect but the gold ones are great too. Those MP 359-93s?

Boolit Master

Really appreciate the original post and the additional posts that were informative. But just to illustrate how beauty is in the eye of the beholder, regarding the colors of powder coating … I've always been partial to the looks of plain lead boolits (but then, I'm nearly color blind). The reds, blues, browns and various color mixes don't do a thing for me. But to each his own, whatever floats your boat. When I got into powder coating, I chose Smoke's clear and never looked back. My boolits look just like plain old lead only shinier and slicker. And when I send a round downrange, there's no smoke. Most other shooters probably think I'm using jacketed stuff. Big Boomer

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonheart View Post
    But for this you really need to get into powder coating because strolling over and asking, "What kind of lube do you use?" is probably not going to get the same reaction.
    My sides are in orbit.
    MC-130J Driver
    Former T-6A Texan II Driver
    FAIP Mafia
    Hook 'em all

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MrHarmless View Post
    My sides are in orbit.
    Years ago when I was scuba diving in Australia one of the local divers came up to me and said, "You guys may not know it, but Aussies love Texans, because your sense of humor is as warped as ours is". Well I guess you found us out too.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Boomer View Post
    Really appreciate the original post and the additional posts that were informative. But just to illustrate how beauty is in the eye of the beholder, regarding the colors of powder coating … I've always been partial to the looks of plain lead boolits (but then, I'm nearly color blind). The reds, blues, browns and various color mixes don't do a thing for me. But to each his own, whatever floats your boat. When I got into powder coating, I chose Smoke's clear and never looked back. My boolits look just like plain old lead only shinier and slicker. And when I send a round downrange, there's no smoke. Most other shooters probably think I'm using jacketed stuff. Big Boomer
    If you like the looks of lead you might give one of the chrome powders a try, looks great, but it may need to be sprayed as I have never tried a tumble coat. I will do a test and let you know.

Why powder coat?

High chrome that I got from UK supplier works great with shake and bake aka dry tumble. It also can be added to basic colours to make them look more metallic. Idea shamelessly stolen from Conditor22. High chrome is a bit more costlier in my case.
    Last edited by Gamsek; 05-07-2019 at 05:23 AM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamsek View Post

High chrome that I got from UK supplier works great with shake and bake aka dry tumble. It also can be added to basic colours to make them look more metallic. Idea shamelessly stolen from Conditor22. High chrome is a bit more costlier in my case.
    Thanks for the post, now I know and will give chrome a try. BTW: they look great!

Boolit Grand Master
    I pc because it works and I aint afraid of a wee bit of extra work
    to get MY boolits better than any factory made boolit
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Never tried any non PC’d boolits yet. All I know is I’ve never had any leading pushing my Ruger American 450 bushmaster past it’s limits all the way up to 40 grains of H110 with a PC and GC 300 grain lee. Never chronied above the tightest grouping load of 35.5 grains which averaged 2075 FPS. My 40 grains of H110 had to be cruising! The accuracy just wasn’t great after about 38 grains not to mention the wallop! The gun never leaded but rattled apart due to a non bedded, lock tighten down factory picatinny rail rattling my scope, trigger, and bolt release loose. In my short testing I’ve found you can push PC to the limits and then some with no leading. I’m sure in a 4,000 FPS varmint caliber there would be issues. Wonder how it dose close to over the 3,000 FPS mark?
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 05-09-2019 at 12:32 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast