Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationRepackboxWidenersLoad Data
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lyman 55 mesure. Drops vary

Boolit Buddy

Lyman 55 mesure. Drops vary

OK, so I am a little new to using this old Lyman 55, and just wondering if its normal for the drops to vary a tenth or two one way or the other. Im loading with Bullseye, and HP38, in 38spc, and 45acp. Is a tenth or two normal range for varying? I do try to be consistent with how I use it.

Might be difficult with small charges of Bullseye, but I try to open up all 3 sliders so the interior opening is deep instead of wide.
    Helps with stick powders, particularly, but has worked well for me with others.
    Yes, a tenth or 2 (sometimes) variation (+/-) is not uncommon with the 55.
    A bear, however hard he tries, grows tubby without exercise.

Vendor Sponsor

Is a tenth or two normal range for varying

yes it is
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master
    When setting up a 55 I get the best results using the smallest slide I can for the powder charge. When you get beyond that capacity, close the small slide and then go with the middle one. If you have a deep cavity and large flakes it doesn't drop as consistantly. Mine consistantly drops within the black on my RCBS 5-10, and usually touching the white.

A lot has to do with the size and shape of the kernels as well.

Boolit Master
    Don't forget to have the measure anchored securely and be consistent in operating the device. Notice the knocker on the measure.

First make sure the internals of the measure are clean, dry and free of any oils. Make sure slides all run freely and close snug tight. As suggested above, I like to creat a deep pocket for all charges .... Don't just use top slide for light loads ... Too much unnecessary shearing of powder. Then I like to tap powder vessel itself before each drop rather than using the tapper.

Boolit Master
    I like to use deep slider setting ,flake powders crunch a bit and tend to vary more than ball powders like true blue/2400etc

Boolit Buddy
    Ive been adjusting the mid slide till its close, and adjusting the fine load changes with the small slide. Does that make sense? Sometimes it throws dead on the money, but some sittings it will vary a bit. I figure a tenth or so either way was expected, but I figured I would ask. I weigh every charge till I know its pretty stable, then every 10 after to make sure its holding. I do need to pull it apart and clean it one day. I got it after my dad passed, and it was pretty clean, and worked nice and free... but still no telling when it was fully cleaned.

Boolit Master
    Which powder and what size charge are you throwing?

It's all in the 'which powder' and your technique of adjustment and operation…all in all, guys that have mastered the 55 won't turn them loose.
    After you clean it well, run some powdered graphite through it. Graphite the 'contacting parts' that rotate etc. You won't regret the effort.
    A two/10's is not uncommon at all centered 'over' the target throw weight…but…two/10's on 'either side' of the target weight is not acceptable.
    "why?"…what if you are loading @ or near Max…a plus two/10's makes a 'plus P' load, will your weapon be OK with that?
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Buddy
    I'm loading 3.5 gr bullseye in 45acp, and 2.9 of hp38 in 38spc.

Boolit Master
    The lightest load I am dropping right now is 4.8 grains of TG. I use just the small slide and every load I check is within the white line on my 5-10. It don't get much better than that.

Boolit Master

I like the 55! Once you learn the mystery of the three slides, it's down hill from there. Lyman's website has a downloadable PDF manual for the 55 and it's worth printing off.

Everyone has given great advise. All measures may trouble with a certain powder and certain charges. And I wish it wasn't the cases, but up to a two tenth variation is acceptable only way to get around that is to trickle on a scale. I do that with my hunting loads, and it doesn't take long before its "that's close enough" and I go back to dipping!

Jerry
    I'll be needing that for squirrels and such.....

Banned
    I know it is blasphemy but I've never been a fan of the Lyman 55 powder measure. Some powders meter better than others and some measures work better with some types of powders. The 55 differs from the cylinder type measures and a lot of folks like the old 55 for that very reason; I'm not one of them.
    Sorry.

Boolit Buddy
    My son and I both have 55's. I found mine to drop small pistol loads better than my RCBS. BUT we both had the same trouble with them. They creep up in charge. We worked and worked and couldnt stop it. I think he got rid of his, but I still have mine. I wish I could correct this because I would like to use it on my 32's and 38's. Be careful.

Boolit Master
    BUT we both had the same trouble with them. They creep up in charge. We worked and worked and couldnt stop it.
    Interesting. I have had one 55 locked on 4.8 grains of TG for a couple years now as it has one purpose and it hasn't moved. Upon reading your remark I just walked over to my bench and dropped a charge. Dead on, and I haven't had a session with it for over a month. Must be all in the wrist

Boolit Grand Master

Consistency in operation is crucial . I worked at developing a consistent technique for a while before getting mine down, and with different types of powders that technique may change.
    Another trick is when setting the slides. There are three . Having a deep narrow cavity is better than a wide shallow one , the less surface area of powder that gets cut by the drum will result in more consistent charges, I discovered this by accident, but it does help .
    Mine is locked on 5.2 grains for Unique. 38 special +P , 357 magnum , 9mm luger and 45 acp...they all get 5.2 grains.
    The Lyman 55 is a good measure , you just have to develop that consistent operation and proper setting. I've been using one for decades.
    Gary
    Last edited by gwpercle; 02-21-2016 at 03:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chevyiron420 View Post
    My son and I both have 55's. I found mine to drop small pistol loads better than my RCBS. BUT we both had the same trouble with them. They creep up in charge. We worked and worked and couldnt stop it. I think he got rid of his, but I still have mine. I wish I could correct this because I would like to use it on my 32's and 38's. Be careful.
    No matter which measure used, the hopper needs a real good 'settling' by tapping the metal rotor housing softly with the rubber handle of a light screwdriver for 10 or 15 seconds, depending on coarsness of powder, or tap with something of the same sort before use. If not, it will settle as you use it and drop more dense loads as you go…hence the increase. The larger flake powders are most prone. Extruded powders are a discussion for another day.
    Leave the throw in the 'delivered' position as you use it so that the bench vibrations don't settle the new load even more densely in the rotor as you work the press and shake the bench. For me…just sayin…on my upstroke to pick up another load…I tap the handle twice 'softly' to help insure that the volume of the rotor has no voids. Since using this method I can get unique to drop at 'dead on' or -1 tenth consistently.

OS OK

PS...that little knocker thingie…I always thought was for making sure that there was no bridging on delivery…I've used it to settle the hopper too but my screwdriver gets the job done more efficiently.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Master
    PS...that little knocker thingie…I always thought was for making sure that there was no bridging on delivery…I've used it to settle the hopper too but my screwdriver gets the job done more efficiently.
    I "knock" at the top, and I "knock" again at the bottom.

Boolit Grand Master

Most all measures require several things to operate accuratly. A consistant flow of powder into them, A hopper not over full or almost empty. Some really show a predrence for a certain range of powder in the hopper, they will drop very consistant in this area. A solid stable bench and stand out side vibrations a wobbly stand allowing them to vibrate when operated affects them alot also. Consistant operation of the measure as to spped and "bump" at ends of stroke can make a big diffrence. Some measures will show a prefrence for ball, flake or stick powders some will throw all well. Setting the measure to a desired charge of a certain powder throw charges and weigh each one thru a hopper this will do several things. It will show you How it wants to be operated as to speed and bump. It should show any sweet spots in the hopper level it likes. It will also give you practice operating the measure, aiding in consistency of operation.