Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLoad Data
Reloading EverythingWidenersInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Repackbox Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 222Remington X7 Marlin, my new cast boolit rifle.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    I'll give that a go, I have some white cleaning vinegar in the laundry. Flat out this weekend, I'll see how I go Monday, thanks.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Master
    I have an XL7 in .25-06 and it's a shooter!

I did the trigger myself and that was also an improvement.

One day my wife was out on the ranch hiking around servicing her trail cameras and as usual I like to send our cattle dogs with her for a little early warning duty ...... we have cougars and bears here.

So for the second time in a row a coyote is trying to draw our dogs out to give them the business .... she grazed one on the previous trip with her M60 Smith .38 ........ yes, I try to get her to take a better side arm ...... but to no avail!

Well this time the coyote is hiding in the bushes and our dogs will not follow my wife away from it .. just can't stand the nasty language I guess ..........

She calls me and asks me to drop what I am doing and bring a fire stick and get this coyote off our dogs ..... at the time, I was suspicous that the Marlin .25-06 was shooting a little high and I had not gotten around to getting it back on paper to confirm and adjust ........

Well, I knew I had better help my better half out ............. (well you know .... super time was just around the corner and all ........... )

I drove over and low and behold the coyote did not run off like I had hoped and instead presented a hail mary shot ........ it was facing me head on and yapping it's head off!

I whistled and tried and tried to con it into a broadside shot ..... but nothin' doing!

So, I gave it my best guess on hold over ......... and touched off an 87 gr. Speer TNT HP .........

My wife immediately went to laughing .......... she said I cut that coyote off ......... mid howl!

We drove up to the crumpled coyote and my wife GPS'ed the location ...... the coyote had good reason to stop it's howl abruptly ...... the round entered the right lung and ran length ways ...... a fist sized entrance and no exit!

I kind of shut off the air ..........

So my wife returns to our home and we bring up Google Earth ........ I pin point the location from where I was shooting from and she loads her saved location where the coyote was and it measured to .............

.......... a 435 yard shot.

Three 44s
    Last edited by Three44s; 06-08-2016 at 10:47 PM.

And that my friend is the 25-06! And great shooting by you! Best, Thomas.

A calibre that is said to be perfect for Australia and I have never owned one. I load for so many calibres I can't see that changing in a hurry either. Shame.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Quote Originally Posted by Four Fingers of Death View Post

Back to the range on Wednesday just passed and the patches are still coming out dirty.

Amazing.

I really don't know what to make of it.

AFAIK, Marlin test-fires every rifle they make - so I would suggest trying a copper solvent to clean the bore.

The only .222R, I've had, was a Sako L-46 that was very accurate - but I mis-remember the twist rate.

My friend saw me at the range cleaning it and was really impressed with it. I rang the shop I bought mine from but they were sold out and no more available. He offered to buy mine, I explained the problem with it, buy he wasn't worried and started pulling money out of his wallet. I let it go for what I paid for it (he actually offered a bit more than I paid for it) and he is very happy. I dropped $50 freight and handling and a fair bit of elbow grease, but we are both happy. I will go back to shooting my 788 Remington in 222.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12