Reloading EverythingWidenersTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee Precision
RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: if you want an LBT, Veral Smith, mold-something to consider

Boolit Mold

if you want an LBT, Veral Smith, mold-something to consider

All,
    First off, I have no monetary interest in this post what so ever and am posting this without permission. Hope that's OK.

If you've ever thought of getting a mold from Veral Smith, LBT Molds, you might want to consider the following:

1. Veral is about 75 years old and he makes each mold himself (I believe)
    2. Veral has no succession plan for LBT molds.

So, if you've ever wanted one of his molds, you might not want to procrastinate any longer, not that Veral has any plans to go anywhere soon, but you never know.

I've been meaning to check out one of his hardness testers. Perhaps I will actually stop procrastinating this week.
    __

Boolit Master

We know what happened to NEI mold quality when Walt went away, get your LBT today.
    God Bless America
    US Army, NRA Patron, TSRA Life
    SASS, Ruger & Marlin accumulator

Boolit Master
    Everyone should own at least one LBT mold and his book. I've been using his stuff since he lived in Cornville, Arizona.

It will be a bummer when Veral goes, but you can have an identical mold from makers like Accurate. Same thing btw for over paying for a vintage Lyman design when you can have it recreated for 1/2 by Accurate. Just sayin.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

The same thought has crossed my mind also. I bought a .44 magnum and a 9 x 18 Mak mold from him last year . The hardness tester is very simple to use. His soft blue lube is also easy to apply, effective, and easy to clean up. I have Lyman, Lee, and NOE molds, but I want several more of his this year. He probably has dropped more boolits than I have cast. He answers questions fairly quickly by email. The two molds I ordered came within a week of sending the money order.
    "Semper quaerendo plumbum"

Quote Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
    It will be a bummer when Veral goes, but you can have an identical mold from makers like Accurate. Same thing btw for over paying for a vintage Lyman design when you can have it recreated for 1/2 by Accurate. Just sayin.
    I have had Accurate molds in the past and they are far from the quality of a LBT . The cutter on a LBT is far superior to any thing else on the market IMO . Marvin

Moderator Emeritus

I just received his book and was looking at his moulds. Guess I am gonna have to get off that fence real quick.
    Last edited by MrWolf; 02-17-2016 at 07:26 AM. Reason: Spelling

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by melloairman View Post
    I have had Accurate molds in the past and they are far from the quality of a LBT . The cutter on a LBT is far superior to any thing else on the market IMO . Marvin
    Your opinion is just that however I wouldn't go "far superior" by any means. I personally do not like the trough sprue plate and that's by choice and I wouldn't say Verals molds are not of good quality due to that. The one thing I don't like about Veral's molds but has no affect to the quality of the mold is with the aluminum molds I had he used a roll pin as the male alignment pin and then simply drilled a hole in the opposite block for the female socket. I much prefer steel on steel male/female pin alignment.

I just talked to him today, he sounded good. I actually thought of the same thing, after I hung up with him.
    Just wish I had half the knowledge he does, and could machine molds. I'd offer to buy his business.
    Start CASTING or get off the POT!

Quote Originally Posted by noisewaterphd View Post
    I've been meaning to check out one of his hardness testers. Perhaps I will actually stop procrastinating this week.
    I have his BHN tester. I love it well worth the money.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    ILSA MEMBER
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Boolit Grand Master

His molds are awesome, however, I wouldnt say far superior to Accurate or MP molds. Collectively, these are the best, IMHO.

Boolit Master

His book is a good read and worth having by any cast boolit hunter.
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RobS View Post
    Your opinion is just that however I wouldn't go "far superior" by any means. I personally do not like the trough sprue plate and that's by choice and I wouldn't say Verals molds are not of good quality due to that. The one thing I don't like about Veral's molds but has no affect to the quality of the mold is with the aluminum molds I had he used a roll pin as the male alignment pin and then simply drilled a hole in the opposite block for the female socket. I much prefer steel on steel male/female pin alignment.
    My sentiments exactly. Different strokes for different folks, but I have never been able to get consistent boolits using a trough type sprue plate. While a grain and half variance may be no big thing, I much prefer to pressure fill each cavity individually to avoid this.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

I think it's not good form to talk about someone this way, especially when he's only 75 years old!

Veral Smith is a good guy who stands up for what he believes.

Boolit Mold
    Is he still around. I have one of his molds and tried to get online today and the web site is expired. Called and left a message but no reply.

Vendor Sponsor

I don't have the molds, but I ended my search for good tier2 hunting boolits for 45 caliber when I launched a few of these LBT WFNs from my 45 Schofield chambered Vaquero. I can't comment on the molds but I sure am quite pleased with the boolits..

L to R: 250gr LBT WFN-OWC, 250gr LBT WFN-PB, 250gr LBT WFN-GC

Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

If you can't get an LBT mold you want, Tom at Accurate will cut you a mold of your design, to your specs. You can even send him a bullet to copy!
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Heard that his website might have been corrupted. The Greybeard forum had also been hacked.
    A deplorable that votes!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast