Load DataRepackboxTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingWidenersLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: "Breaking your Routine"…BENCH TIPS

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by OS OK View Post
    The wife gave me a 'label printer' by 'Brother', many colors, various width of label materials available, even clear labels with black print.
    I use them for everything in the reloading shop…including 'recipes' for the reloaded stock in the cupboard.
    I really like this idea. I have done the Avery labels printed as a form, but then the lines are too small to actually write the info on.

Next time I am near an office supply store, I will look into getting one of these label makers.

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Mk42gunner View Post
    I really like this idea. I have done the Avery labels printed as a form, but then the lines are too small to actually write the info on.

Next time I am near an office supply store, I will look into getting one of these label makers.

Robert
    "Been there done that too'…I like to develop new loads now that we are doing the PC thing. When I would try to remove an old label those dang things leave behind glue and the shredded back of the old label…made me want to pull my hair out!
    These Brother labels stick on and stay there…when you remove one they peel off easily and do not leave anything for you to have to mess with…so far I haven't found a better system!"
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

I generally load on a 550 Dillon and put an Avery label on the powder measure with the type of powder being used. This plus the only powder possibly on the bench that is being used. I load many different calibers so I generally load one completely before changing to the next one. Can't be too careful.

Boolit Grand Master

Only one can of powder out at a time. Only one sleeve of primers out at a time. I leave them both on the bench until it's time to clean up. Preliminarily write all the load info down on a notepad. Put everything away when you are done using it. There is no excuse for a cluttered bench and that's asking for trouble. Enter the load data into your logbook when you're finished the run.

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    Plus one on the one can at a time on the bench while reloading!! And always write the load data on a primer sleeve and tuck it in the press somewhere so you can always know what you were doing last! Primer sleeves with all info goes into the loaded rounds containers along with the date.
    also use those sleeves to do what was said here as to processing brass, steps in case prep, etc.
    has worked for me for all this time so why change now? I'm just sayin'! Be safe.
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Boolit Grand Master

The only exception to the one powder on the bench is if one is Black. That's hard to mistake!
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Good thread.

1) One powder on the bench at a time.
    2) When done, empty the powder measure back into the container on the bench.
    3) Leave the empty primer pack(s) on the bench till done with the session, then toss.
    4) If doing a multi step process on brass, leave a sticky note INSIDE the box (had too many sticky notes lose their stick).
    5) Leave the beam scale settings in place until done, then return to zero.
    6) Clean area when done.
    7) Update inventory (primers/powder/projectiles). You buy 5K/20K primers, then get surprised when you're down to your last few hundred/thousand.
    8) Update label on the ammo box.

It's good that threads like this come up once in awhile. It keeps the rest of us on our toes.I don't think I ever opened a reloading manual and read the safety procedures since I first started in the early 70's.It's easy to become over confident and mindless when reloading,especially after doing it as long as some of us have.
    I'll throw another few out there: No radios or television in my loading room and definitely no other people,that includes the wife.The only other body allowed in my reloading room is my black cat and she has a bed in the corner.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by tstowater View Post
    I generally load on a 550 Dillon and put an Avery label on the powder measure with the type of powder being used. This plus the only powder possibly on the bench that is being used. I load many different calibers so I generally load one completely before changing to the next one. Can't be too careful.
    On my dillon measures I put the weight it throws (only use Red Dot for everything) on a colored dot you buy at wally-world. Then cover with clear packing tape. Easy to remove the tape, dot doesn't fall off (been known to happen) I can tell quickly which is which.

If I need more info I just use two or more dots and cover them all with one piece of tape.

I guess I could color-code them but haven't see a need.
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Here's another tip that works well for me.
    Working up a load for your favorite rifle can get confusing with all those differently loaded rounds. When you get to the range undoubtedly someone distracts you and it almost never goes the way I planned. Looking for that 'node' is too much work for these things to spoil your efforts. So…I devised a method that would work for me…
    *This is how I color code the rounds...Attachment 161107
    *This is my prepared target...Attachment 161108
    *This clip board tracks each shot placement and any notations, ie. 'pulled shot' or otherwise...Attachment 161109
    I never got around to doing this 'workup' for these 155g. A-Max's because of a house I bought and spent a year upgrading before moving in.
    The other little 'distraction' is casting and Powder Coating pistol rounds since moving in and settling down here…The Point is…I have this set and ready to go even though it was set up 3 years ago…all the info, the rounds, the target and my notes are ready to pull out…WELL…not until I complete my rifle range…anybody got a D-9 I can borrow?

Come on you guys…share some of your inside info with the rest of us 'tinhorns'.

One powder on the bench at a time. When using one of the two Green Machines I dump 50 rounds after loading them. I always size, deprime and clean pockets before loading. It was the way I was taught. I also load only one caliber at a time. When making test loads I keep all powder weights separate and loaded rounds in their own ammo box or plastic bag with the info on a tag (boolit weight, powder charge, date, seating depth. As others have stated I also write info on targets before going to the range. More shooting time less pencil time.

Keeping track of the reclaimed Lead
    Seems as though it is either feast or famine when it comes to our lead stock.
    *Here I've stocked this very humble supply under my casting bench and try to keep it in batches as I reclaim COWW or whatever I find.Attachment 161111
    *Here I have stamped one of the ingots from each batch with its BHN number, you can see the test dimples and I put the total weight of the 'type' of batch even date them…a testament to my OCD, but it makes it simple, quick and easy to figure whatever blend I want to make.
    The 'Lead Calculator' download on this forum makes it a simple task to adjust the Pb, Sn and Sb to your desired blend...'If and only If' you have your stock sorted and marked beforehand.Attachment 161112
    These metal stamp kits are available through Harbor Freight and are cheap…they come in different sizes so you can pick one that is agreeable to your old eyes.

One powder, can always in same location. Load data for current task on card, card in same location. Primers container for primers in use on bench in same location. Lube & Trays & Scale all in same location. Bin of bullets in same location. Caliber to measure cartridges in same location.

My biggest bug-a-boo is searching for where something is. Distracts me and annoying so I try to make it a habit to put the stuff I use consistently in the same location. Then I can focus on the process, and where I set my pen or glasses or coffee mug.

I'm also big on labels and notes. Noticed a long time ago however that self stick labels don't. At least not for long enough. Tape over them if I want them to stay put.

Like the idea of leaving turret press ram up so there can be no doubt about where I was if I have to stop in mid-process. Will have to make it a point to make that a habit. Might avoid things like dispensing powder into a case missing a primer which I hear can be messy but have absolutely zero first hand knowledge of because no one saw it happen but me and the dog.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master

This is a good thread, helps remind us all to keep things straight and safe......I had a little trouble this winter because of clutter...........just couldn't get in the flow, had lots of things out, half projects all around the work area. Never again. The biggest thing is one powder at a time, followed by one primer at a time and notes notes notes. This has been mentioned above and several times but it's good to repeat.double charges are the next worry, after wrong powder , the only sure 100% way is to weight every charge, for rifle I do, for ignorance volume pistol in a progressive I look at each one during bullet seating and weigh at random intervals.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by OS OK View Post
    Keeping track of the reclaimed Lead
    Sharpie or the HF metal stamps. A family member relieved me of most of my stock that was marked w/ a sharpie. So I bought foundry lead and stamp it "96-2-2" when I make smaller ingots to put in the pot. The larger ingots are in their own box w/ the contents marked multiple times on it.

Boolit Master
    One powder ,label all boxes of cases and loaded rounds

Boolit Master
    Hi...

As almost everyone else has stated...one powder on the bench at a time. Finish charging cases...empty the hopper back into the container.
    I typically load handgun cartridges in batches of 500, so I prime all those cases first(when I am reloading on my RockChucker). The cases get a reloading label with the manufacturer and type of primer ie, CCI Small pistol magnum and get stored in a 5lb plastic coffee can.

I charge cases 50 at a time using a powder measure and verify every tenth charge weight with a scale, then immediately seat and crimp. A label with all pertinent information goes in the box (sometimes a 50 or 100rd plastic cartridge case box and sometimes in a ammo can)with the completed rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Mk42gunner View Post

Robert
    The Brother label makers are nice BUT the tapes are really expensive unless you order online. They last awhile but are like $24 in the store and $8 online.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

"This is not a tip for the bench…but…it's why we are at the bench so much. Making practice really count and having some real fun in doing so."
    You could call it a tip for the range...
    Fun pistol game…shoot faster and more accurate too.

We shoot on a private range, so we can come up with fun pistol matches that improve our shooting skills and tap into everyones competitive nature also. (we are tired of bulls eye targets)

These two targets are hand made at the moment, doesn't take too long but I would suppose that a silhouette target bought at a store could be modified to work the same.

They are 24" high X 20" wide, made from a roll of poster paper from the office supply.

* We each shoot 5 rounds @ 5 different distances, each shooter shoots and then scores, (mark your shot holes with a slash into the hole) then the next shooter does the same until all shooters have shot @ that particular distance.
    * Then we move to the next distance and repeat until all the 5 distances have been shot. Sometimes we shoot from close and move progressively farther back, sometimes reverse. The distances are up to you.
    * The idea is to put 3 rounds into the single target on the left, then the remaining 2 rounds go into the hostage target on right.
    * You have 5 seconds to fire all 5 shots. We don't use the shot timer everyone just keeps track in their heads and if they get too slow aiming/shooting they get a 'razzing' from the other shooters. Great fun 'razzing'.
    @ the first distance…shoot 2 rounds to chest & 1 round to head,
    then shoot 2 rounds at the hostage target any where you want.
    @ the second distance…shoot 2 rounds at shoulders & 1 round to head,
    @ the third distance…shoot 3 rounds to the head,
    @ the fourth distance…shoot 3 rounds at the shoulders,
    @ the fifth distance…shoot 3 rounds at the chest,

End of Gameadd the totals and 'razz' whoever you want while the winner enjoys a temporary high.
    Notice that for each game each shooter only expends 25 rounds but the shooter is under some pressure to make them really count. That makes good shooting habits develop.
    * The single target is pretty simple and has small hi-point zones that develop your moving/aim-point and developes your aim/small to miss/small skill.
    * This hostage target is another 'critter' all together…if you hit the hostage you get a 'zero' for both those shots. Everyone loves to 'razz' the hostage shooter!
    You notice the 40 point oval areas on the arms of the gunman…we call them tattoos, 'tats' for short, those are tempting to gain points in the competition but deadly to the score of the shooter…that 'zero' can bite you in the 'butt' real quick. It takes a gutsy shooter to go for those spots at 15 yards and greater.

I tried to get these printed and have not found anyone to do them without costing too much, so the reason for the following pictures of my 'templates'. I trace in pencil quickly then trace the marks with a chisel point 'marks a lot'. It takes about 3 1/2 minutes each per target but the fun is certainly worth the effort.

If anyone tries this game please let me know how and whether or not you like it.

OS OK

Here is a target we tried once to make the 'errant' shots 'really cost you'…too much work but it was fun…wish I had a printing press!

Boolit Bub
    Those targets are really cool. I get bored with static targets very quickly. With a friend or two, I could see me really enjoying those "static" targets!!!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast