Inline FabricationReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Load Data

Thread: Show off your DIY stippling.

Boolit Buddy

Show off your DIY stippling.

Recently I saw a post on a local gun form where the member had tried his hand at stippling an AR mag and since its been so cold outside today I decided to give it a shot. Seems like the two mags I tried turned out great! Other than some hand cramps and almost burning myself a few times, it was really fun. So I wanted to start this thread so others could share their DIY stipple jobs, it'd be cool if people could post pics of what they stippled and say what they used to do the stippling. I used a basic run of the mill 30w soldering iron, I think if I get into stippling more I may try out some different tips, and maybe even make a stipple stamp, but right now just using the tip it came with has worked out just fine for me.

I'm not sure how long it took me, but it seemed like the second mag took about half the time. I didn't stipple the base plate of the second mag, was wondering if I liked it better with out it, comments welcome on which base plate looks better. I started with the base plate on the first mag because I figured if it looked horrible I could file it off and it'd be on the bottom.

After stippling these mags in the relief area it got me thinking about the all the different designs of polymer mags and the cool things that could be done with them. Eventually I want to work up the courage to stipple my G17.

The front of mag (faces barrel)

The rear of the mag (faces you)

Very nice.

Banned

I done this same thing in place of checkering on a couple of milsurp rifles I Bubba'd up.
    the argie I done for littlegirl years ago turned out real nice, since I outlined it and used a hollow ground punch it turned out similar to fish scales.

Boolit Grand Master
    I must be getting old. When I read stippling an AR mag, my first thought was that the aluminum was too thin and would distort; resulting in an unusable magazine.

It looks okay, but I see this as something to combat cabin fever, not a real necessary mod. I would not do any fully inserted pistol magazine, the added texturing might cause it to stick.

Robert

Looks like you did a great job to me.

Boolit Buddy
    @Mm42gunner Oh yeah you wouldn't want to do it on a fully insertable mag. Mainly do it for added grip, I got bored and wanted to try it out. Was hoping to get good at it and do my polymer pistols instead of getting stuck on grips like Talon. Turns out it's quit a bit of fun, will probably pick up some more mags and do a few more.