Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLee Precision
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fun pistol game…shoot faster and more accurate too.

Fun pistol game…shoot faster and more accurate too.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1044.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	29.1 KB 
ID:	180343Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1046.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	34.4 KB 
ID:	180344We shoot on a private range, so we can come up with fun pistol matches that improve our shooting skills and tap into everyones competitive nature also. (we are tired of bulls eye targets)

These two targets are hand made at the moment, doesn't take too long but I would suppose that a silhouette target bought at a store could be modified to work the same.
    Attachment 160662Attachment 160663
    They are 24" high X 20" wide, made from a roll of poster paper from the office supply.

* We each shoot 5 rounds @ 5 different distances, each shooter shoots and then scores, (mark your shot holes with a slash into the hole) then the next shooter does the same until all shooters have shot @ that particular distance.
    * Then we move to the next distance and repeat until all the 5 distances have been shot. Sometimes we shoot from close and move progressively farther back, sometimes reverse. The distances are up to you.
    * The idea is to put 3 rounds into the single target on the left, then the remaining 2 rounds go into the hostage target on right.
    * You have 5 seconds to fire all 5 shots. We don't use the shot timer everyone just keeps track in their heads and if they get too slow aiming/shooting they get a 'razzing' from the other shooters. Great fun 'razzing'.
    @ the first distance…shoot 2 rounds to chest & 1 round to head,
    then shoot 2 rounds at the hostage target any where you want.
    @ the second distance…shoot 2 rounds at shoulders & 1 round to head,
    @ the third distance…shoot 3 rounds to the head,
    @ the fourth distance…shoot 3 rounds at the shoulders,
    @ the fifth distance…shoot 3 rounds at the chest,

End of Gameadd the totals and 'razz' whoever you want while the winner enjoys a temporary high.
    Notice that for each game each shooter only expends 25 rounds but the shooter is under some pressure to make them really count. That makes good shooting habits develop.
    * The single target is pretty simple and has small hi-point zones that develop your moving/aim-point and developes your aim/small to miss/small skill.
    * This hostage target is another 'critter' all together…if you hit the hostage you get a 'zero' for both those shots. Everyone loves to 'razz' the hostage shooter!
    You notice the 40 point oval areas on the arms of the gunman…we call them tattoos, 'tats' for short, those are tempting to gain points in the competition but deadly to the score of the shooter…that 'zero' can bite you in the 'butt' real quick. It takes a gutsy shooter to go for those spots at 15 yards and greater.

I tried to get these printed and have not found anyone to do them without costing too much, so the reason for the following pictures of my 'templates'. I trace in pencil quickly then trace the marks with a chisel point 'marks a lot'. It takes about 3 1/2 minutes each per target but the fun is certainly worth the effort.
    Attachment 160670Attachment 160671
    If anyone tries this game please let me know how and whether or not you like it.

OS OK

Here is a target we tried once to make the 'errant' shots 'really cost you'…too much work but it was fun…wish I had a printing press!
    Attachment 160770
    Last edited by OS OK; 11-08-2016 at 07:29 AM. Reason: to add a picture
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Buddy
    Great post love the detail and the special targets! I may have to try this out at the range.

Super Moderator

Looks fun, but the 40 point zones need to be moved out to the elbows...just sayin'.

Boolit Master
    I wouldn't practice shots to the forearms for 40 points - a 'pass through' on the forearm will score a 10 or 20 on the hostage - not so bueno. I'm thinkin' double tap la cabeza!
    It ain't rocket science, it's boolit science.

Super Moderator

That's exactly why they should be moved to the elbows, because of pass through.

Boolit Master
    Very excellent, you Kalifornia guys sure know how to have fun. Copied and will try when the weather warms up, supposed to be 1 deg. tonight.
    Lucky Joe
    "There's always a way."

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterAZ View Post
    That's exactly why they should be moved to the elbows, because of pass through.
    The shots don't really hit the hostage behind the gunman's arm, he just got out of the 'pen' and has arms that would stop a .50 cal.

The idea is to get contestants who are falling behind to go for those extra points…thus they risk hitting the hostage even more so! Then the 'razzing' goes into high gear!

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Joe View Post
    Very excellent, you Kalifornia guys sure know how to have fun. Copied and will try when the weather warms up, supposed to be 1 deg. tonight.
    I'm a transplant from Texas…that's where I learned to have fun! Crazy…risky…you name it…fun! Some call it ''loco en la cabeza!"

OS OK

PS…It's about 78* today and it literally snowed just last week!

Super Moderator

I don't practice for "make pretend stuff", I practice for real life stuff. Through the arms and into a hostage body is not what I would do...but to each his own.

Hey ease up on the op, HE and his FREINDS have started a game/ contest, not a this is where you need to shoot the bad guy that has your wife. IT IS A GAME! I think it is pretty ingenous and I can see where it could get competitive real quick. OS OK good thought leave it alone and keep shooting, it is just guys with over thinking the game.
    CD
    When you find you are in deep trouble, look straight ahead,keep your mouth shut, and say nothing.

A man who is good enough to shed his blood for the country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards

Theodore Roosevelt

I don't practice for "make pretend stuff", I practice for real life stuff. Through the arms and into a hostage body is not what I would do...but to each his own.
    "Guess I forgot to mention this…In our 'pretend world' we learn to look at a spot and hit it quickly and accurately. We are not tied to some methodology that would force us to wait for a specific scenario before we can shoot.
    It's like when I was in the Marines and we learned 'quick kill'…look at a spot…put a hole where you are looking…Simple"

You don't like it…fine…Let me invite you to be the 'first to not try it'…OS OK?

Boolit Master

How do you practice "for real life stuff" without using real lives? It is all pretend until it's not! geesh
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Quote Originally Posted by Bzcraig View Post
    How do you practice "for real life stuff" without using real lives? It is all pretend until it's not! geesh
    We'd like to make it real…just can't find any volunteers to play 'perp and hostage'!

Very cool post! Thanks for sharing.

Games are fun and do teach a lot. Friend has a timed B.E. game like that, 2 per target, multiple targets. He has added a couple more stages of targets so position is moving. I practice left, right, 2 handed, glasses, no glases fast fire. Sometimes results are not so good.
    Attachment 161350
    Then compare to rested
    Attachment 161351
    Whatever!

Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    Games are fun and do teach a lot. Friend has a timed B.E. game like that, 2 per target, multiple targets. He has added a couple more stages of targets so position is moving. I practice left, right, 2 handed, glasses, no glases fast fire. Sometimes results are not so good.
    Attachment 161350
    Then compare to rested
    Attachment 161351
    If you ever want to really humble yourself…try shooting and moving in any direction at the same time!
    At first I wanted to find some excuse other than me…NO…It was me…humbling experience.

You mean it's not like on TV where they are RUNNING, 50 rnds missing then shoot the gun out of the hand? I can't run anymore so SLOWLY moving is good for me.
    Whatever!

Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    You mean it's not like on TV where they are RUNNING, 50 rnds missing then shoot the gun out of the hand? I can't run anymore so SLOWLY moving is good for me.
    Just moving at any speed and trying to shoot is hard to do. I think that we need to learn to shoot like ole' Gabby Hayes did…he could hit anything, anytime, anywhere, with any draw, running, riding horseback, falling off a balcony, you name it….you don't think that Hollywood was fooling us all these years do ya?

Boolit Master
    Blast from the past! Was clearing out my old PM's and I found my chats with Charlie about this. Time to revive the game and try my hand at it, those targets he sent me are still awaiting some lead.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Warning Derek...If your shooting buddies are competitive (like the Texans I grew up around)...this is addicting! The Gamesmanship is outstanding and you'll really enjoy yourself!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast