RepackboxReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UNIQUE POWDER…What dispenser/technique…4 best delivery?

UNIQUE POWDER…What dispenser/technique…4 best delivery?

I have been using the Lyman 55 almost exclusively, (on the turret) it does the job well.

Yesterday just for my own edification, I set the old RCBS Uniflow w/small rotor up and w/baffle slid down all the way to the bottom and started to try and find a method of using it with the Unique to outperform the 55.

To my surprise…by double 'tapping' on the pickup (top) stroke 'lightly' so as to 'settle' the flakes in the hole of the metering area…that old Uniflow started throwing either 'perfect' 8.2 grain loads or 8.1 grain when it was throwing low.
    The double tap on delivery was a bit more 'vigorous' as 3 times it delivered only a partial load into the pan (bridging?). It wasn't that the powder was not in the metering hole as it was. As soon as I saw the 1/2 looking charge I would tap that handle 'vigorously' and here came the rest of the charge.

I enjoy using Unique in the Colt .45 SAA but I just need to have more confidence in the metering process.

What are you guys doing?
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

I use a Lee Auto Disk and Lyman pistol powder measure instead of the #55. A consistent rhythm while operating the first two really helps as does a a great deal of throwing charges and weighing them to determine how much each cavity or rotor actually drops.

In Remembrance

I`ve had about the same events happen with my Uniflow. I am using a Hornady auto feed measure and scale and it seems to work pretty fair so far with Unique.Robert

Thanks, I get that part…I'm always working up loads so any type disc wouldn't help especially if it requires disassembly for changes of weight/throw.
    I use the old RCBS auto dispenser, set it low and trickle up to what I want. The only problem is that it is sooo slooow.
    I'm trying to figure out a way to deal with that pesky Unique.

Boolit Master

You've found a consistent way to throw unique in your uniflow, the bridging problem is solved by removing
    the screw in funnel at the bottom then use a stand alone funnel designed for charging
    rifle/pistol cases.
    Calamity Jake

NRA Life Member
    SASS 15704
    Shoot straight, keepem in the ten ring.

Quote Originally Posted by Calamity Jake View Post
    You've found a consistent way to throw unique in your uniflow, the bridging problem is solved by removing
    the screw in funnel at the bottom then use a stand alone funnel designed for charging
    rifle/pistol cases.
    Mine came with two funnels, one has a larger hole than the other and I use the large hole one…is that what you mean?

With a Lyman 55, I don't just use the thin top adjustment bar for light charge, but rather open at least 2 slides to create a deeper pocket for powder to settle in. Seems to help consistency with Unique. Also like the RCBS L Dandy. The drop tubes need to be cleaned once in while. Unique seems to have a "greasyness" to it that is really noticeable when dropping larger amounts for shotshells. I clean my MEC drop tube on a regular basis.

Boolit Grand Master

I will only use my B&M or one of my pistol powder measures for Unique - all others bridge and I have to watch the Bair Pistol Power Measure.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

B+M if I don't just scoop, and I do.

The Lyman 55 is a very accurate and dependable powder measure of proven design. If can be pain in the butt to get set, but once set is there forever. I have 8 of them set up for various charges of Bullssye, Unique and 2400 that I use for handguns.

There is a guy on Ebay that sells a powder measure weight system of aluminum and brass. This gizmo really makes the 55s consistent. I have one for my 55s and another for the RCBS Little Dandy. They are available for under $30.00 and are made for most popular measure. No, I have no interest in the gizmo and have no idea who makes them.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

I see your using a weight to keep head pressure the same on the trough in the rotor…hmmm, I used the same idea by putting a funnel in the top and keeping an inch or so of powder in the funnel…did a 100 throw test run to see if that made a 'big' difference on the +&-'s but was not impressed, mainly because I didn't like powder exposed like that so I found a snap on plastic lid to go on the funnel…then it is a pain to keep an eye on that…I ended up using a home built baffle shoved all the way in and that was the only way I could keep an exact weight of powder on that rotor…the biggest single thing beyond that is my 'technique'…a light 'double tap' on the pick-up stroke and a 'firm' double tap on the delivery stroke and forget the 'knocker' all together…leave the handle in the 'delivered' position until the next charge is to be taken.
    I'm pretty much satisfied with that…but I keep the scales in service to monitor things as I go along, testing at a rate that reflects the type of powder I'm dealing with.

Quote Originally Posted by OS OK View Post
    I see your using a weight to keep head pressure the same on the trough in the rotor…hmmm, I used the same idea by putting a funnel in the top and keeping an inch or so of powder in the funnel…did a 100 throw test run to see if that made a 'big' difference on the +&-'s but was not impressed, mainly because I didn't like powder exposed like that so I found a snap on plastic lid to go on the funnel…then it is a pain to keep an eye on that…I ended up using a home built baffle shoved all the way in and that was the only way I could keep an exact weight of powder on that rotor…the biggest single thing beyond that is my 'technique'…a light 'double tap' on the pick-up stroke and a 'firm' double tap on the delivery stroke and forget the 'knocker' all together…leave the handle in the 'delivered' position until the next charge is to be taken.
    I'm pretty much satisfied with that…but I keep the scales in service to monitor things as I go along, testing at a rate that reflects the type of powder I'm dealing with.
    With the weight, I don't use the knocker or any particular technique, just a smooth and consistent up and down of the handle, all the way up and all the way down. As stated, the charge weights thrown are very consistent. But if a fellow is going to use something like this, be certain to adjust the charge weight with it in place. It is not something you want to add after the measure is set.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    With the weight, I don't use the knocker or any particular technique, just a smooth and consistent up and down of the handle, all the way up and all the way down. As stated, the charge weights thrown are very consistent. But if a fellow is going to use something like this, be certain to adjust the charge weight with it in place. It is not something you want to add after the measure is set.
    "Copy that!"

I'm puzzled.I use unique a lot and utilize my RCBS Uniflow and don't seem to have the problem of inaccurate charge weights.Lately I have been dropping a lot of 7 grs. of Unique into my 44 mag cases and am getting very good results.I do this by habit for any powder I am using: I raise the handle and just HESITATE very briefly before quickly returning the handle on the down stroke followed by two taps.I also use the large funnel.That it. See if that works for you.Oh and sometimes I wipe the inside tube with a fabric softner sheet.Make sure the inner works are absolutely free of oils and are dry,of course,you already know that.

Quote Originally Posted by Static line View Post
    I'm puzzled.I use unique a lot and utilize my RCBS Uniflow and don't seem to have the problem of inaccurate charge weights.Lately I have been dropping a lot of 7 grs. of Unique into my 44 mag cases and am getting very good results.I do this by habit for any powder I am using: I raise the handle and just HESITATE very briefly before quickly returning the handle on the down stroke followed by two taps.I also use the large funnel.That it. See if that works for you.Oh and sometimes I wipe the inside tube with a fabric softner sheet.Make sure the inner works are absolutely free of oils and are dry,of course,you already know that.
    Copy those good tips for sure, even run some graphite powered form through after cleaning the whole rig.
    Sometimes I just sit and stare at a particular gizmo for a while until I think I have come up with all the considerations about it. What I got on my Uniflow was this…"If it can bridge coming out…well…why can't it bridge going in…sure, why not?…So, I started with the 'gentle' double tap on the pick-up (loading the rotor) and thought that doing that would 'settle' the powder in the rotor hole more completely…along with that keeping a constant weight above the rotor by using the baffle…well guess what?
    I am getting a +&- of .1 now using Unique and 'most' of the throws are hitting dead on…I was stunned, before I couldn't get it to run at +&- just .2 and be constant.
    That's not too bad in your book is it?"

Unique that hit the shelf in the last 18 months is a real pain. Did not have the problem prior to 2012 or so. I wonder what happens if a guy was to blend a small amount of powdered graphite into the Unique powder, i.e. how would burn rate be affected? I may have to try that out.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Grand Master

Just yesterday I loaded up some 9mm ammo using Unique. With my C-H 502 powder measure I was keeping all my charges within .1 grain (+/- .05gr.). I'm working up a load so I weighed very charge, 50 rounds so I'm sure of the numbers...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Cash View Post
    Unique that hit the shelf in the last 18 months is a real pain. Did not have the problem prior to 2012 or so. I wonder what happens if a guy was to blend a small amount of powdered graphite into the Unique powder, i.e. how would burn rate be affected? I may have to try that out.
    Don't know…not a bad idea but I would be afraid of damaging the flake powder trying to get a good mix…affect the outer covering that controls 'burn rate'…might turn that Unique into something like Red Dot or Titewad…dang fast for the quantity dispensed.

I have been using a lot of the new Unique but never had a problem appear so far.Sometimes I switch over to Power Pistol in my 44 spl and 45 Colt and get good results with it too and it meters really good.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by OS OK View Post
    Don't know…not a bad idea but I would be afraid of damaging the flake powder trying to get a good mix…affect the outer covering that controls 'burn rate'…might turn that Unique into something like Red Dot or Titewad…dang fast for the quantity dispensed.
    Personally I don't think the burn rate will be effected. Adding graphite to flake, ball, or extruded powder isn't adding anything to the powder itself, just a compound around the powder (not like adding oil to gasoline, more like adding pebbles to charcoal), not changing the chemical make-up of the powder itself. Now if you mixed gun powder and graphite 50/50, there would be a problem...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast