RepackboxLoad DataRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline FabricationLee Precision
Snyders Jerky Wideners
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: sorry fans of coated bullets

Banned

sorry fans of coated bullets

this may seem like a minor annoyance to some but I'm a bit old school and think your coated bullets are but ugly. Yes I realize they work but so do old school lube sized bullets. I don't want a pink or lime green pickup and don't want my bullets that color either. Maybe if they made a clear coating it would make me take a second look at it.

Boolit Master

Smoke does have a clear coat.
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Boolit Buddy

smoke also offers a silver coating.
    --ISO ITEMS--
    Contender super 16 barrels

updated as of April 2023

My feedback: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ight=Carbine86

Boolit Master
    I have nothing against the color choices anybody makes, but I do have to say that a lot of what I see is not for me. In that regard I agree with Lloyd. I have yet to try powder coat but I have tried the original Hi-Tek copper color. It showed no real advantage to me over traditional lubes, at least not in the applications I tried it in. I may give powder coat a try some day but I would limit my color choices to Silver (looks similar to cast lead), Copper (looks similar to jacketed), or a dark blue (looks like old S&W Nyclad).
    But I encourage all of you powder coaters to soldier on. Thinking outside the box leads to innovation.

Boolit Master

Lloyd I have seen some pictures of the clear coat the fella's put up, and you can't even see it except for a shine/polish look.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by high standard 40 View Post
    I have nothing against the color choices anybody makes, but I do have to say that a lot of what I see is not for me. In that regard I agree with Lloyd. I have yet to try powder coat but I have tried the original Hi-Tek copper color. It showed no real advantage to me over traditional lubes, at least not in the applications I tried it in. I may give powder coat a try some day but I would limit my color choices to Silver (looks similar to cast lead), Copper (looks similar to jacketed), or a dark blue (looks like old S&W Nyclad).
    But I encourage all of you powder coaters to soldier on. Thinking outside the box leads to innovation.
    with pc I get between 40-100 fps faster with the identical load as compared to traditionally lubed cast.
    --ISO ITEMS--
    Contender super 16 barrels

updated as of April 2023

My feedback: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ight=Carbine86

Boolit Master

Attachment 160618Lloyd I am an old grey dog too, and I don't want a pink pick-up either. Now I could go for this pick-up.

Boolit Master

It's not for everyone, just like them new fangled metallic cartridges that came out some years back. But through lots of test and trials I've found pc boolits have an fast advantage, as as accurate or as close not to matter as traditional lubed boolits, no leading ever and a cleaner bore. A side advantage is I can color coat my loadings and know at a glance what they are.....and another, young kids, like my daughter niece and nephew think they look cool, ask about them and have wanted to make more range trips with me after watching the baking process. And I can now use one method/type for rifle pistol and muzzle loader no matter season or temperature. And so far my 2 year long term storage tests are showing that the pc will last in its current state as long as the brass cases will. And I get less smoke at indoor ranges /idpa shoots. And it helps me to realize my dreams of becoming a mad scientist, with various air guns, containers, rakes trays, ovens and home made tools ........Its alive......it's alive!. And one more thing, nothing against traditional lubes but where I can do so many an hour in my Lyman I can shake and bake or spray 100's at a time. Reading some of Larry Gibson's posts on another forum it seems pc may not be ideal for HV rifle, but we are working on it . And my big bore revolver and muzzle loader tests have shown velocity and accuracy on par with jacketed.

Different strokes for different folks. As far as ugly, mehhhh. My edc belt has 18 Bayou Bullet red copper 38spl, and I still get positive feedback about both my GP100, and the cartridges in my belt.

Boolit Grand Master

To each their own. At least we're all shooting. My mentor at age 73 has started powder coating virtually everything. He has his own indoor range and with the lubes, get a bit smokey despite 2 huge ventilation fans. With PC, you can't even tell you've shot. He has landed on the Harbor Freight Red as his favorite. I prefer traditionally lubed boolits.

Boolit Master

I don't coat bullets myself and I don't plan to at this point. I do buy Bayou's coated bullets and shoot them in matches. I've shot in many matches on a hot, humid day where the targets disappeared in the smoke from loads using conventional lube. There's not much you can do then except shoot where you think the target is or wait for the smoke to clear. Either way it doesn't help your score. Other shooters I've talked to use coated for the same reason. Some I've talked to switched from jacketed or plated bullets to coated and like the cost savings.

Coated bullets solved the smoke problem for me. I still cast and lube bullets for practice sessions.
    Chuck

I don't cast my own; rather buy both Bayou (coated) and Dardas (lubed). Both are excellent products. I am not skilled enough to see any difference in accuracy. The Bayou are cleaner to handle while loading and gun does not seem quite as dirty after shooting, but like the perfect circles a Dardas WC make in a target.

Boolit Grand Master

I agree that they look horrible. To many things in life are already "fashion shows". It seems bullets are on that list. They do make a clear coating. It's the process time and lack of performance that keeps me from going down the PC road. Everyone is free to do as they wish. But I do laugh and think most of the pics posted look ridiculous.

A properly sized and lubed boolit is a lot of fun and shoots great.

And can have zero leading.

That being said a lot of indoor ranges don't like them for that extra greasy / smelly smoke.

If I only shot outdoors I am think I'd just lube in 45-45-10 and blast away.

Its not the color of the coat its the protection it offers.

But if the color is off putting meh.

If you shoot them instead of looking at them it helps.

The way things are going these days, it may be wise to have at least a box of defense loads ready, with the boolits carrying bacon grease in the lube grooves.

I use Eastwood clear powder coat. You can just tell folks it's your own special hard lube. Gp

Boolit Master
    i do it for my wife who shoots.

she is prone to putting the wrong caliber cases in the wrong magazines ...or guns.

purple is .40 and goes in purple dotted mags then into the 1911 with the purple dot on the grip base.

yellow is 45 acp ......yellow mags....................................1911...... .......yellow dot .........grip base.

re is 9mm..............red mags........................................1911.. ........and so on.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    You are definitely in the minoriy on this one my friend!!!!!!!

Those of us (MANY thousands!) that ARE into PC'ing like the variety of colors.

"Life is in technicolor........enjoy it!"

I despise gray/silver boolits. So there, I am the total opposite of you.

If you want to live your shooting life looking thru gray-tinted glasses, get some of that clear PC as referenced above and use that. I personally see it as a waste of time.

But ANYTHING/ANY COLOR is better than dirty old sticky grease.

banger

Boolit Grand Master

Minority? That's a very bold statement. Don't let your opinion cloud your judgement.

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast