Titan ReloadingLoad DataWidenersSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox

Thread: Got to handle an old Colt 1911

Boolit Grand Master

Got to handle an old Colt 1911

Fellow I know has it. He said the S/N dates it from 1918. Has the origional issued holster, belt, and two mag pouches that hold two mags. Even the pouches are dated 1918. The old warhorse was in pretty decent shape, probably 80%. He said the numbers match on the gun.

He wants me to keep an eye out for him something along the lines of a combat commander. Figures he better quit shooting the old gun as if something broke, he would have a tough time finding a replacement!!! Ya Think!!

Don't see things like this too often.

That is cool. And I wish I was you!

Boolit Master

One like that was my first every day carry. I miss that gun.

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Boolit Master

Here's a link to Cylinder & Slide's 100th anniversary replica of what Colt was making for roughly the first year of production:

http://www.cylinder-slide.com/reproduction.shtml

It's also worth reading the commentary that goes along with those pics.

The story behind the WWI era finishes is one of those telling differences between the work ethic of THEN and the work ethic of NOW. Between 1912 and 1918, the military told Colt to dial back their efforts on at least three separate occasions - Colt didn't know any other way to make them besides BEAUTIFUL, and even the "rough" brushed guns from 1918 are top notch.

I've seen a few of the really early ones that by some miracle have retained most of the original finish - makes a Python look sad by comparison. Brings tear to the eyes. . .
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master

I have a 1911 made in 1917. It is a true commercial model. Barrel is not original but it is in pretty good shape. I would recommend that your friend stop shooting the firearm. Those slides are prone to crack. They were made of poor materials by today's standards and were not heat treated. Nickel steel and heat treat came about in the 1920-30's.
    I saw something like you describe in a gun shop in Roanoke, Va. about 20 years ago. The rig was issued to a WW1 officer. It was a gun and matching holster along with some WW1 ammo. The holster and belt was natural leather( tan and not black). The ammo had lead RN bullets and was packaged 20 per box. There was one open box and multiple unopened boxes of ammo. It was not for sale.

Boolit Master

1911 circa 1918

Here is a WWI GI 1911 made in 1918 by Colt on the right. The 1911A1 on the left is a Colt made for WWII and was bought through the DCM, the predecessor to the CMP.

Other than the larger sights on the 1911A1, it is easy to see the modifications made to the old war horse to make the A1 version in this photo. I think those modifications were made in 1924 and type classified in 1926 or so.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Master
    A few years ago I had occasion to handle a 1911 that was made in either 1913 or 1914, can't remember exactly which year. The owner wanted it checked out and cleaned so she could feel safe firing it. I removed it from the military flap holster and immediately thought "well, it's been re-blued." When she was gone I took it into the shop and removed the magazine, cleared the chamber and removed the slide. Then time came to a stand-still. As I examined the interior of the frame and slide, I found this pistol to be wearing only it's original finish. The quality of the barrel would rival present day match quality. Even the stocks were flawless. Once I got through cleaning it, it showed museum quality bluing that would rate in the 98-99% range. What a thrill. When the owner returned I told her exactly what she had and how to protect it from further wear. She shared that this pistol had been carried by her great uncle in the great war. That would have been THE Great War! What a treasure. Even now I am smiling from thinking about my privilege from simply handling that fine 1911.

Thin Man

I have an Al Dinan built .45 target pistol built on a Colt frame that dates to 1914. The only thing original is the "US Property" marked frame but still a neat piece of history.

Boolit Grand Master
    Unlike European military arms of the day, the 1911 had no serial numbers on parts other than the frame, but you can tell whether the slide and frame match by the maker's name on the former and the serial number and inspector's mark on the latter. The main parts that changed from the 1911 to the 1911 A1 were the relief cuts behind the trigger on the frame and the size of the sights on the slide. The trigger, grip safety, mainspring housing and hammer were all changed as well, but like the sights can be changed back and forth pretty much at will. Which leads to the subject of repair... since the critical parts are interchangeable, it's easy to keep the gun "running" and even original type parts were made in sufficient numbers to be available reasonably. Yes, the slide is a little softer, but unless you are shooting a concentrated program of competition with full house loads, you probably won't wear it out. My gunsmith, now deceased built me a hardball gun on mine (using a slide left over from his Navy gunsmithing days) knowing that I wouldn't be shooting it enough to do serious damage or wear.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Mold
    My 1911 (not A1) is circa 1919. It is a commercial model and was my Dad's. Its all original and I would rate the bluing at about 90%. I only shoot target loads and I see no reason to relegate it to the back of the safe. Dad bought it to shoot and that's what I do. His Great Grandson will shoot it one day.

Dad's 12 gauge 1914 Parker double also gets a periodic workout....

Very cool!

Went to a party at some friends of ours, and the husband wanted to show me "his grandpa's old pistol" to see if I could tell him something about it.

He produced a WWI vintage Colt M1911 in excellent condition, but wearing Pachmayer type rubber grips. I was stunned, and told him what he had, but that the rubber grips diminished the value a lot. He then said "well, I also have these old wood things that came with it" and pulled out the original double-diamond stocks.

Flabbergasted, I was!

I don't know the year it was made, but definitely WWI vintage. I printed out a s/n list so he could date it. I also gave him a couple of boxes of mild handloads with lead round nose bullets, as he said he'd never shot it.

Kinda surprised me that he didn't know what it was, because he'd spent many years in the Army and National Guard. Next time we go over there I'm gonna ask to see it and fondle it again. And take some photos too. Maybe he'll let me clean and service it for him, and put the correct stocks back on. I'll take my Colt 01911 WWI Repo along too for a stare-and-compare between the two.

Boolit Buddy

Many years ago, I was competing in Combat .45 matches for 6th Army, at Ft Ord, CA. Our guns were service 1911s that had been tricked up a bit. There were lots of Army Reserve and National Guard units there too, and the NG guys were particularly tough competitors. Often they used their personal, though stock pistols. A guy next to me, I think from the S. Dakota NG. was a new competitor, and he had borrowed his gun from a friend. When I saw it, I could only gulp. It was 1912 or 13 marked, virtually new, with gorgeous bright bluing. The magazine were two-toned, with the lanyard loops. He had no idea what he had; equally obvious was that his friend did not either. I tried weakly to suggest it was far too good to be repeatedly holstered and handled roughly in those matches, but he was there to compete, and that was that. I've wondered over the years whether someone woke up and rescued it before it got thrashed. It was the finest specimen I have ever seen, though 30+ years have elapsed since then.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    A family that were long time friends of my mother's from her childhood had quite a neat "array" of 1911 Colts. I knew all of them. The grandfather was a Supply Sgt. in a Battery of the 328th F.A. in WWI. At the end of the war, he brought his 1911 home. His son was an Infantry officer in WWII. At the end of the war, he slid a MP armband on and walked off the ship carrying his 1911A1 and he brought that home. His son, served during VN and somehow, managed to bring a 1911A1 home with him as well. I don't know what ever happened to the three as the grandfather died as did his son . . . the grandson who was in VN sort of went off the deep end and I have a tendency to think that he probably sold all three to get money. Of the three, I do remember that the oldest one which was carried in France in WWI was a very nice handgun and just plain "slick".

Boolit Master
    I started shooting a 45 Auto when I was 9 or 10 years old. It was a Colt, of 1917 manufacture and original. Carried that same 1911 for most of 7 years while in law enforcement. I've never fired any of the models that came after the 1911.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Master

I may have shared this here before, but here goes........I was shooting at a range in Hawkinsville Ga back around 06-07 time frame when my buddy Scott comes up to me and says "there's a guy over there with a 1911", to which I replied "cool", thinking in my head "1911-seen one, seen 'em all". Scott tells me I need to check it out, so I go over to the guy and see what he has. Lo and behold he had a period correct 1911. Not A1, just 11. I starting in with the questions and it turns out he and his wife moved into a small house in Central Ga and was rummaging around in the attic and found an old cigar box with the 1911 in it field stripped wrapped in a grody old oily rag. Not being a gun guy he looked on Youtube of all places on how to re assemble it, and then proceeded to go buy a box of 230gr. ball WWB and shoot it. It was in great shape with honest wear and no abuse. He said he wasn't even a gun guy, but liked to get out and shoot it from time to time.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.