Load DataWidenersSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision

Thread: Dixie Gun Works -Pedersoli

Boolit Buddy

Dixie Gun Works -Pedersoli

Well, I couldn't resist. I just received a Dixie Gun Works Pedersoli made Pennsylvania Dixie rifle in 45 caliber. It is 1984 production. I bought it as sort of a project. The forestock has been cracked on both sides, likely from someone improperly trying to remove the barrel. It has been repaired rather well but I'm going to see if I can do better and maybe reinforce it on the inside with a couple of small steel rods. As seen in the pic, it had a leather cover over the butt. I have since removed it to discover it has the patch box but to my frustration there is the name Charlie carved into the wood. So I'm going to see how much of the lettering I can raise by steaming it out. Hopefully I can keep sanding down to a minimum. Then all the brass will get a polishing. The rifle is set up for percussion right now but the flint lock assembly came with it.

Boolit Master
    That looks like a good project. Let us know how it goes along the way.

Boolit Buddy
    Well, I had some time so I worked on the Pennsylvania rifle. Starting with the name carved into the stock, I steamed the wood first to raise the wood a bit. The I sanded some and steamed again to lessen the amount of sanding required.

I repaired the external cracks a little better. I also cut 3 rectangles into the barrel channel so I could inlet strips of oak to reinforce the damaged areas. The inlet oak had to be perfectly flush all around or the barrel wouldn't sit low enough to get the pins in. It's probably stronger than new now. I didn't take a pic of the channel completely finished but you can't even see the inlet areas. I blended in the areas of the stock I worked on as I didn't want to refinish the complete stock. I wasn't going to rebrown the barrel or high polish the brass so I didn't want the stock looking out of place to the rest of the rifle.

There was a sin number engraved on the bottom of the trigger guard at the front. I sanded it away. The lock had a number of scratches in it so I rebrowned the lock. Overall I'm pleased with the look I achieved and I think I accomplished what I set out to do.

Boolit Master
    Labor of Love, a foundation in craftsmanship. Well done and where lies the next project?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Gtek View Post
    Labor of Love, a foundation in craftsmanship. Well done and where lies the next project?
    Not sure yet. I have a few vintage double barrels and vintage .22's that could use some TLC. Problem is I end up picking up something else that pops up and I put the latest "acquisitions" ahead of the others.

Great job well done!

Very good job.
    Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    'Odd way to spell "Charlie".... but great looking restoration! What a nice rifle. Jealous here.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Beagle333 View Post
    'Odd way to spell "Charlie".... but great looking restoration! What a nice rifle. Jealous here.
    Yeah, I typed in the wrong name in my first post. Maybe Charlie was his middle name, lol!