Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingWidenersRepackbox
Titan Reloading Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: first squirrel w/pistol!

first squirrel w/pistol!

I just got my first squirrel today, with help from my best friend and squirrel dog, daisy! I was using a S&W k-38 combat masterpiece, and wadcutters moving at 800 fps or so.it was about 60 feet straight up and looking down at me. the boolit hit its chest exited its lower abdomen and then went through the hind leg. I have killed a raccoon with this gun before but it was a close, easy shot. the reason I am so excited is that this was a challenging shot for me, and I have been working at practicing my grip and also fie tuning the sights. just had to brag to someone, have a good day!
    Travis, A.K.A. The O.K. KIDD
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.

Boolit Buddy
    Congrats on making meat with the wheelgun. A 38 with cast boolet would certainly be cheaper to shoot than unobtainium 22rimfire.. How many squirrels make a mess for the skillet?

Boolit Buddy
    Gratz! Love my wheel guns glad to see someone else who likes them as well.

I saw this and smiled. Something about a squirrel and a pistol. I did it also, with my 1911, and know exactly how you feel. I think I was more proud of it than if I had shot a 10 point buck.

lol, yeah, ive only ever got does, but that doesn't matter much to me, better eating. but I would like to get a buck this next season with my marlin 22" bbl 1895 45-70. but back to the point, yes I am pretty proud, I was kinda shocked I hit it even though I have been doing good on targets. anyways thanks guys
    Travis

Boolit Master
    Congrats.

Boolit Master

Travis, well done
    Thank you for sharing
    Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Congrats. Back in the late 70's my squirrel gun was a Ruger Mark II 6 7/8" target model. Ross Seifried taught me pistol shooting with his articles on hitting things. I killed a pile of squirrels with that gun and later a K-22. Also got a few with a kit gun and a Walther Pp .22. Now I have a truce with brother squirrel because he amuses me and tells me when the deer are coming. Lots of good memories though.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Banned
    way to go!!!

I have killed a lot of squirrel's with my Ruger MkII. Wonder if it will kill a coyote ? About that time of the year again. The rut starts in February.

Boolit Master
    Brings back memories of good times in the woods with the 1851 Colt Navy .36 cap & ball revolver I used to hunt squirrels with. Good for you and the fun you've had and will continue to enjoy.

huh, I had no Idea coyotes had a rut,lol I bet if you could get head shots or close range heart shots it could, tenbender, maybe that's the next thing I should try w/ the .38. do the ruger mkII's with fixed sights come out of the box with good accuracy? I sure would hate to have to bend the front sight or file it or anything, they are probably one of the best lookin guns in my opinion. Thanks all!
    Travis

Nice shooting. 38 Spl is my favorite small game handgun. IMO in most cases it will put down small game a 22 will only injure and allow to die in unrecoverable location.

But a squirre!?!!! Dang...yall have a lot bigger or tougher squirrels than we do!

Boolit Master
    Congrats, good work!

Three 44s

Congrats!

Boolit Buddy
    Nice shooting. Gotta love taking small game with a handgun!

Boolit Bub
    Good job! I used to bag squirrels in my buddy's back yard with a S&W 617. Gotta love wheelguns...

one time aabout ten years ago I was hunting raccoons with a 38spl and I cant remember what bullets I was using, Im pretty sure they were lrn's but any ways, we treed a big male and it took the whole cylinder. I felt bad because I like to make quick kills obviously, but I was just as shocked. I could not believe it could take that much lead. made me wonder because this gun is also my home protection. now I have wadcutters in it. they seem to have more "thump" if you know what I mean. anyway I would guess that coon was as tough as a human would be. not that I ever want to find out. but me personally, if I get shot once with a 38, I'd think really hard about continuing whatever it was that got me shot in the first place, lol

Boolit Master
    Congratulations on your Squil hunt makes me want to get back to hunting small game again.

I use to hunt with a 8 3/8" S&W model 17 (K22) for rabbits, Squils and other small game. I had to hit some more than one time even with good hits. I switched to shooting a 8" DW 357mag with 38spc wad cutters and you can hear it smack. The small game doesn't usually move to far afterword's.
    NRA Life Member