WidenersRepackboxInline FabricationLee Precision
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Load Data
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: So You Think it's Cold at Your Place......

RRR you sound like some of them old boys out of Saskabush and their bull droppings stories!!
    Ken.
    Ken.

Be nice if it was better, but it could be worse

But it's a "dry cold"

Boolit Master
    85* in So Cal today warmer tomorrow. So much for El Ninyo! Weather guessers are saying it will rain at the very end of the month .march and maybe April. If my engineering designs were no better than these meteorological forecasts/guesses I wouldn't have stayed employed for long.

Moderator Emeritus

Yeah, indoor humidity is like 15%, finger tips split open, knuckles crack...

Quote Originally Posted by opos View Post
    But it's a "dry cold"

Boolit Grand Master

It was 86 degrees today. Next week we may see 90 degrees. Humidity today was 18%. I have seen humidity down to 3%. I drink liquids all day and still feel thirsty.
    Great weather to go shooting here if there is shade. Gotta cast boolits and load ammo!

Boolit Buddy

Made my wife mad this AM, the day before Valentine Day, really mad. Gonna be REALLY cold here for the next few days.

Well we do call it Winterpeg, but seriously guys, that is way off the mark. Surface of Mars maybe but not on this little blue planet!

Boolit Master
    Google uaf sign. Just that. Is a picture of the sign at -43 then at 93 and a lot of drunk kids who should really know better.

Boolit Master
    HI...

I live in southcentral Pa...it was 6F last evening with 20+mph gusts.

Freaking cold...

I have hunted in colder weather but, this is cold enough for me. Had to be outside (work-related) a few times yesterday and even with some of my cold weather hunting gear on, it was still kinda chilly. Fortunately, I only needed to be outside about 20 minutes at a time. I can't wear all my cold weather gear at work...hunting boots are verboten(must be steel toe safety shoes) and I am not risking ruining an expensive hunting parka at work(I do have a company issued parka which is pretty good quality). If needed, I did take my arctic rated insulated hunting coveralls with me but didn't need them. Polar expedition rated insulated thermal underwear was sufficient protection. I did wear layers including a light jacket under my heavier lined coat on the receiving dock yesterday...probably didn't get much above 40F on the dock with all those open doors(dock seals are pretty much ineffective when the temperature gets that low and its windy) and the wind blowing yesterday.

It is winter, after all

Here in NH it was 14 below over night with 30 MPH winds. We kept the wood stove loaded and running with an open throttle. Had to reload it every 2 hours overnight, but the coldest it got in the house was 55 in the bedroom. Who cares? You are under blankets anyway and with pajamas and wool socks you sleep soundly in a cold room.
    Only problem is one frozen water line that does it when it gets way below zero. We are working on getting the house back up to temperature. So far we are up to 66 in the main room and low 60's in the rest of the house. If the wind calms down it will be a lot warmer quicker in here.
    By noon we should be back to the low 70's in the house. High temp outside today is going to be 3 above and the wind is supposed to die down.
    Hey....it's winter in New Hampshire.....what do you expect?
    Last edited by FISH4BUGS; 02-14-2016 at 11:52 AM.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Quote Originally Posted by leadman View Post
    It was 86 degrees today. Next week we may see 90 degrees. Humidity today was 18%. I have seen humidity down to 3%. I drink liquids all day and still feel thirsty.
    Great weather to go shooting here if there is shade. Gotta cast boolits and load ammo!
    So how do you like it when it is 115 degrees? Ya, ya, I know....it is a dry heat.......BUT 115 is 115 any way you slice it.
    I'll take the cold winters and temp in the 90's+ only for a few days out of the summer over 115 degrees any day.
    To each their own.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

In Remembrance

Woke up to -6 yesterday, today wasn`t any better here in the mitten thumb. Wonder how far down the temp has to go for H*LL to freeze over?Robert

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by FISH4BUGS View Post
    I'll take the cold winters and temp in the 90's+ only for a few days out of the summer over 115 degrees any day.
    To each their own.
    I used to be this way. But as I get older I really tire of harsh winters. It was 3 degrees when I woke up this morning. That's a lot better than the -11 it was at my place in the Poconos. But I am done w/ cold and snow. I work outside in all conditions. When it's hot or cold you do the same thing, take breaks. I find it's taking longer for my fingers and toes to warm up. My hands really don't want to work in the cold anymore. 115 is looking more appealing than sub freezing temps.

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    I used to be this way. But as I get older I really tire of harsh winters. It was 3 degrees when I woke up this morning. That's a lot better than the -11 it was at my place in the Poconos. But I am done w/ cold and snow. I work outside in all conditions. When it's hot or cold you do the same thing, take breaks. I find it's taking longer for my fingers and toes to warm up. My hands really don't want to work in the cold anymore. 115 is looking more appealing than sub freezing temps.
    Well, I'm 67 and as long as I can still stack wood and bring it inside to keep the stove going, I'll take the harsh winters. I enjoy the outdoors and winter hike and snowshoe a lot. Take advantage of the weather. It is some beautiful on a cold winter day in the woods.
    No such thing as bad weather.....just under dressed people.

Boolit Buddy
    Dry cold? Dry heat? and you really don't feel it? Is that like a dry rain and you don't really feel wet?

Boolit Master

got the water pipes un-froze- toilet flushed- now for that fresh coffee

That would qualify for the coldest temp ever recorded. previously held in anartica 1983 -89 C.

Moderator Emeritus

-10 last night, my house is now pretty well insulated and air tight so the winds didn't drop temp much except in my bedroom. Grabbed the super thick comforter and tossed it on, had 2 cats burrow under and sleep against my back and chest so I was toasty except for a cold nose! Had to bump the corn stove to level 4 of 5 to hold temps.

Le Loup Solitaire
    News headline today on MSN: Coldest temp recorded on MT Marcy (Lake Placid-Saranac Lake area) in Adarondack mountains of Upper new York State at -114 F with windchill. LLS

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Loup Solitaire View Post
    News headline today on MSN: Coldest temp recorded on MT Marcy (Lake Placid-Saranac Lake area) in Adarondack mountains of Upper new York State at -114 F with windchill. LLS
    Not to far from my neck of the woods.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast