Snyders JerkyInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Titan ReloadingLoad DataReloading EverythingLee Precision
Repackbox RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New type of suppressors

New type of suppressors

Found this an interesting article about suppressors.

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=38460876&nid...ine-in-reverse

MURRAY — A Utah team is challenging the 110-year reign of baffle suppression technology in firearms.
    While the traditional suppressors offer some protection to firearm operators, the baffle system also brings a slew of negative effects along with the benefits. Murray-based Operators Suppression Systems, led by U.S. Special Forces veteran Russ Oliver, has developed a solution with its flow-through suppression system.
    A video introducing the new technology quickly gained traction online, garnering more than 1 million views so far. It took the better part of a decade for the flow-through suppressors to go from proof of concept to its current stage.
    "You have a design that creates better signature reduction, without the adverse effects," said Oliver, the founder and president of OSS. "What that does is take an aspect or capability that was, and has always been, very limited and makes it available to every soldier all the time on the battlefield."

The technology

The underlying issue with modern weapons is that the baffle system retains pressure inside the barrel and then increases the operating system's speed as it cycles, according to Oliver. He said ultimately that reduces the life cycle of the weapon system, but more importantly it also affects the operators themselves by exposing them to high-velocity gas being blown backward out of the chamber into their face.
    Due to these negative aspects, suppressors are only used for very specific missions even though all soldiers and members of law enforcement could benefit from reducing signatures that give away position like heat, sound and flash. The OSS team hopes its technology will eventually be procured by the military, allowing more people to benefit from suppression.

OSS suppressors provide reductions in sound and flash, without decreasing the life cycle of the weapon system and releasing gas. This is because the flow-through technology allows gas to expand forward through a series of channels to come out of the muzzle, according to the company. One physicist described the technology as being "like a jet engine in reverse."
    "We're big on the science here," Oliver said. "The whole thing is based upon basic physics, just applied in a little different way than traditionally in suppression or firearms."
    OSS recently started a large push into the civilian firearms market, with multiple dealers in Utah carrying the flow-through suppressors. The company presented its tech at the Las Vegas Shot Show in January, providing the opportunity for people to try the suppression technology with about 90 types of weapons systems.

The inspiration and teamwork

Oliver, who has spent most of his life in Utah, has been a firearms dealer for more than two decades. He said he worked his way through the industry, going from fixing guns in his garage to working with wholesale distributors and large-scale manufacturers. While working as an adjunct firearm instructor for a group of Green Berets preparing to go to Iraq about 11 years ago, he was impressed by the life they led and decided to join the army himself.
    At the age of 31, Oliver entered basic training. He worked on his designs for a new type of suppression system from Fort Bragg, sending the drawings to a manufacturer in Utah and enlisting a friend who was a SWAT sergeant in South Salt Lake City to test the suppressor.
    "He would shoot it and get back to me and tell me, 'Hey, this works and this doesn't work' and really helped me to continue the evolution of the design while I was gone," Oliver said. "Local law enforcement, SWAT guys all throughout Salt Lake Valley, also had a lot to do with where I came from and getting to know firearms... what worked about suppression with them and what didn't."
    The support Oliver received from local law enforcement and others from his firearm distribution and training days has led him to credit a large number of people with the flow-through suppression system's success.
    "If there is one thing that I had to say makes OSS, it's the combination of personnel that have been here and really pushed this to realization," he said. "I've seen a couple of comments online (saying) the engineering is genius, and actually as much as I take that as a compliment the truth is we're just incredibly stubborn here. We had a thousand of them that didn't work before we found the one we did."

Has some videos that are interesting to watch also.

He's been around for several years
    - looks like he's on 5th generation and has definitely improved it, it was the 2nd Gen when I first saw a video of it.
    I have yet to see one in person so can't comment further
    except to say looks like a pain clean all those channels

I have not run into any head to head tests against other suppressors with Mil-spec testing equipment - that I would like to see. Unfortunately the video's audio's tend to be less than a true representation of suppressed firearms.
    Last edited by Artful; 02-11-2016 at 12:22 AM.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Grand Master

No prices on the web site. Wonder what they sell for? Interesting design. http://osssuppressors.com/
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 02-11-2016 at 02:33 AM.

Boolit Master

They aren't too far from me. I think I will check them out next time I'm down that way. I get by there about once a week. I didn't even know they were there.

Moderator Emeritus

They are coming out with a 50bmg suppressor!

Hmm... It looks like an over-engineered answer to a question nobody asked. Like Artful, I would like to see some actual numbers compared to other designs.
    Cap'n Morgan

Boolit Master
    Guess it depends on the weapon its mounted to. Semi autos can really blow some stuff in your face. A single shot, or bolt gun, hard to even notice.

Boolit Grand Master

sweet.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master

Probably have to clean it with liquid, Mechanical would be far to labor intensive.
    Ole Jack
    "'Necesity' is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of Tyrants: it is the creed of slaves."
    William Pitt, 1783
    "America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we faulter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." Abraham Lincoln.

I imagine an ultasonic cleaner would come in handy for cleaning it. I'm curious about the price.

Boolit Grand Master

Where our governors, congressmen AND THEIR WIVES make our license plates
    With all of the fancy equipment shown and time to produce one I fear only LE and the military will be able to buy one and there is always FEDERAL TAX.
    WE WON. WE BEAT THE MACHINE. WE HAVE CCW NOW.

Banned

Ive never felt stuff blown back into my face on an ar15.

He states suppressors ".....reducing signatures that give away position like heat, sound and flash..."

That just ain't so. You fire a few rounds through a suppressor and see how warm it gets. On windless days in high volume rabbit areas my .223 suffers from mirage big time due to the suppressor.
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffinNZ View Post
    He states suppressors ".....reducing signatures that give away position like heat, sound and flash..."

That just ain't so. You fire a few rounds through a suppressor and see how warm it gets. On windless days in high volume rabbit areas my .223 suffers from mirage big time due to the suppressor.
    check out the thermal video on his site
    http://osssuppressors.com/news-events/

he's showing half the temp gain (251 vs 504)

You can see that by directing the blast back over the barrel
    (reflex) it will keep the part sticking out furthest from the hand guard cooler
    Last edited by Artful; 02-15-2016 at 04:39 AM.
    je suis charlie

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    Ive never felt stuff blown back into my face on an ar15.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwzDSgFHWJ4
    je suis charlie

OK, but what they are doing is using a unit significantly larger and with superior heat sinking construction. Only barrel suppressors are extremely common here. Both mine are over barrel.
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Yep, you can tell it has a HUGE surface area due to the design - and with the design reminds me of the Lewis Gun cooling system.
    je suis charlie

This demo shoot rep says the gases travels up to 70 inches inside the can before exiting out the muzzle end.
    je suis charlie

Boolit Master
    We still don't know the price. Hmmm, is it one of those things where if you have to ask you can't afford it?

If you're going through all those hoops (literally) to make a better mouse trap, you might as well build an integral suppressor around a dedicated barrel with bleed holes to redirect the gasses while the bullet is still in the barrel. I tinkered with all kind of suppressor designs for the last forty years and found that the one thing that really makes for an efficient reduction of the sound signature is volume; the more powder, the more volume is needed.

As for price, this company will charge about $225 for a standard size suppressor - and that price includes threading of the barrel!
    http://www.sonicsilencers.com/
    http://www.nielsengunparts.com/index.html
    Cap'n Morgan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast