MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading EverythingLoad Data
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyInline FabricationWideners
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2

Thread: mauser firing pin?

Boolit Master

mauser firing pin?

So as some have seen, i just did my first case conversion. 06 to 7mm mauser for a chilian mauser i picked up last fall. Epic fail on test firing. Broken firing pin. My question is , what firing pins are interchangeable with mine. Just took a quick look on flee bay and a peruvian looks the same but obviously i cant measure anything off a picture.

Boolit Master

You don't mention what model of Chilean Mauser....?

But whatever model you need to get the correct model firing pin and be prepared
    for possible hand fitting. Its a close fitting part with the cocking piece. There's no
    room for make-shift.

Dutch

Boolit Master
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160210_214527.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	44.5 KB 
ID:	160515sorry chilian model 1895, 7mm mauser.

Boolit Master
    Try Springfield Sporters for the firing pin. Frank

Better measure your firing pin and get the vendor to verify the specifics to you prior to purchase. I've seen the same length firing pins but different spacing on the other end so that sears weren't interchangeable. They do vary from manufacture to manufacture different tolerances, country of origin, etc. I hope this helps.
    Uber7mm

Bambi: The great American hunting story as told through the eyes of the antagonist.

In Remembrance

A good machinist can drill the business end of the firing pin and replace the tip with hardened drill rod of the correct diameter. I have had to resort to this kind of "fix" several times with some of my obsolete and unusual rifles. I have since stopped dry-firing them. Most recently had to do this for one of my Martini Henrys which arrived with a broken pin.

Boolit Master
    Well I ordered the right one from numrich.i hope it don't need to much fitting. If push comes to shove I know a good machinist who could fix the old one. Thanks for the good info

In Remembrance

Bought a `generic maker` firing pin for my 98 Mauser from Numrich to replace a broken one on a deal rifle I made a buy on. The new pin was just long enough to have a nasty habit of piercing primer cups until I bobbed the nose length of the pin, problem solved.Robert

Boolit Master
    Bottom line.
    No matter what firing pin you get, check the firing pin protrusion.
    I would not use a dial caliper for this alone.
    But you can make your own firing pin protrusion gage from simple materials if you have some basic skills.
    Or you can buy one from Brownells if you want.
    When doing a lot of Mil Surps, it is handier then heck to have.

Boolit Buddy
    A piece of the appropriate length and diameter "music wire" (available at hobby shops and some hardware stores) press fitted in a drilled hole in the end of the Mauser 98 firing pin (loc-tite may help) makes a very good and long lasting repair. Trim to length after assembly to get the proper firing pin protrusion. Hemispherical tip seems to be best.
    Getting old is the best you can hope for.

In Remembrance

Quote Originally Posted by Safeshot View Post
    A piece of the appropriate length and diameter "music wire" (available at hobby shops and some hardware stores) press fitted in a drilled hole in the end of the Mauser 98 firing pin (loc-tite may help) makes a very good and long lasting repair. Trim to length after assembly to get the proper firing pin protrusion. Hemispherical tip seems to be best.
    Silver solder makes it permanant.
    Tennessee Hunter Education Instructor

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to
    restrain the people; it is an instrument for the
    people to restrain the government-lest it come to
    dominate our lives and interests"
    Patrick Henry

Boolit Master
    Received my firing pin. Exactly the same as the broken one. No fitting required. What should the protrusion should be? I eyeballed it and it looks the same as the other mauser I have

In Remembrance

Quote Originally Posted by funnyjim014 View Post
    Received my firing pin. Exactly the same as the broken one. No fitting required. What should the protrusion should be? I eyeballed it and it looks the same as the other mauser I have
    60 thousands. More and you may peirce primer. less and may have light primer strikes.
    Tennessee Hunter Education Instructor

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to
    restrain the people; it is an instrument for the
    people to restrain the government-lest it come to
    dominate our lives and interests"
    Patrick Henry

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by funnyjim014 View Post
    Well I ordered the right one from numrich.i hope it don't need to much fitting. If push comes to shove I know a good machinist who could fix the old one. Thanks for the good info
    That is probably the best solution, although the replacement tip method some have suggested would have worked. But you do need to check the protrusion of the tip. If these are old military parts, they may have been supplied oversize for adjustment by an armourer.

Good measurements for a high powered rifle are .075in. diameter and .065in. protrusion. The latter is 1/16in. if you use a piece of metal or hard plastic to make your own gauge. I would worry less about slightly small or larger diameter, than about filling the hole if you find it larger or smaller. The tip need to be hemispherical or very slightly pumpkin-shaped, and the shaping shouldn't be taken so far back that it amounts to a groove around the hole.

Boolit Master
    I made a firing pin tip for my no.4, as a temporary fix , but it works so well I've never replaced it.

The pin had a separate press fit tip when I got it. That tip just fell out one day so I made another from spring tempered steel and threaded the hole ands end of the tip and screwed it in, then final finished the tip. I'd left enough meat at the shoulder to file flats to grip the tip with channel locks, then chucked the complete pin in a drill press to finish turning it down.

I fitted the tip exactly for the worn bolt head that was on the bolt, then when I replaced the badly corroded bolt body and got a NOS #3 bolthead while these could still be found dirt cheap I had to polish the tip down quite a bit to fit the unworn pin hole.