MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackboxWideners
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Load Data

Thread: Lead in a 338 Lapua Mag.?

Lead in a 338 Lapua Mag.?

Hello all, just wanting to know if any one has done any loading with lead bullets for the 338 Lapua magnum I am looking to get more trigger time at a sizable savings, I load powder coated lead in a lot of other cartridges with good results, the Lyman lead book only has 1 entry, just looking for some real time loading experience with the 338 Lapua. Thanks in advance for any info.

Boolit Master
    I'm interested in this too. Can't see why not. Other than a most likely less than favorable twist rate for cast. Why not be the forum Guinea pig and work up some loads and let us know

Boolit Master
    24 gr of 2400 works surprisingly well in my 338 win mag with the Lee 220 gr with no filler. I would think you could start there. I'm not sure how much bigger the Lapua case is over the Winchester.

I don't know but I suspect with slower powders you'll pass your velocity limits before you get enough pressure to burn right.
    I could be wrong, I often am.
    Some people live and learn but I mostly just live

Oh by all means I am going to try it with the loads in the Lyman cast manual, I was just poking around on the slim chance that some one had tried it and may have more incite on the ins and outs before I started load development. And yes I will post my findings good and bad when i get started, I should have my mold and sizing die tomorrow so I can get some boolits cast powder coated and sized this weekend.

Boolit Master
    I've tried it in a Savage 110BA. Mold is Lee C338-220-1R cast with WW and crimped on GC. Have had success (1.25" 5 shots @ 100 yd) with 42 gr. H4895, 30 gr. H4227, and 34 gr. 5744. Had poor results (3"+) with Unique, Blue Dot, and H4759. Haven't had time to wring them all out. Have been busy with other projects. I'll also be checking in to see how you're doing.
    The only amendment the Democrats support is the 5th.

I have only loaded 100 rounds of jacketed ammo for my brother in law so my experience with the caliber is limited but it seems a natural for paper patched bullets. I doubt one would have prolems getting the paper to shed at the muzzle.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Master
    I think Trail Boss might be a winner in this big case.

Boolit Master
    My 338 WM loves cast boolits when I use 5744 to get about 1800 fps. I am using the Lee 220. I tried Trail Boss when I first tested boolits and discovered that even at full charge, the boolits wouldn't stabilize. As time passed and using my chronograph, it became obvious my rifle wouldn't stabilize that boolit at any velocity under 1650. At 1800 fps, the rifle with that boolit is very accurate out to 400 yards. I had all but quit shooting the 338 WM due to the cost until I started using cast and now I enjoy it regularly. The rifle also likes RE-7 powder. If memory serves, my 5744 load is about 29 gr. and that powder is not position sensitive.

Quote Originally Posted by upnorthwis View Post
    I've tried it in a Savage 110BA. Mold is Lee C338-220-1R cast with WW and crimped on GC. Have had success (1.25" 5 shots @ 100 yd) with 42 gr. H4895, 30 gr. H4227, and 34 gr. 5744. Had poor results (3"+) with Unique, Blue Dot, and H4759. Haven't had time to wring them all out. Have been busy with other projects. I'll also be checking in to see how you're doing.
    What is the rate of twist in your 110BA? That sounds promising.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by .30carbnut View Post
    What is the rate of twist in your 110BA? That sounds promising.
    Twist wasn't in the Savage manual but it would appear to be 1:10" from other sources.

Twist wasn't in the Savage manual but it would appear to be 1:10" from other sources.
    I did a little searching on Savage Arms site and found that the 110BA Has a 1-9" twist just fyi.I don't know why I didn't just look there first but you know, Another question if you don't mind, are you using any filler for those loads? I have several Boolits cast and powder coated I would like to give them a try with those loads, my rifle has the same twist so I should be able to get some similar results, so far the loads in the Lyman manual that I have powder for are all over the place. Thanks for all the reply's and when I get some thing to group at all I will post the progress.

Banned

who cares what the twist rate is? unless your going sub sonic it really don't matter.

you guy's might wanna read up on the proper use of fillers.
    with them you could trick the 4 dollar case into thinking it is a .50 cent case and duplicate the 338 federal.

Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    who cares what the twist rate is? unless your going sub sonic it really don't matter.

you guy's might wanna read up on the proper use of fillers.
    with them you could trick the 4 dollar case into thinking it is a .50 cent case and duplicate the 338 federal.
    So what would be your suggestion for a filler? I have been using dacron for anything I need a filler for. Oh I had not thought about the 338 Federal I will look in to that, Thank you.

Banned

now your thinking
    cast is a wonderful thing if you think about how easy it is to manipulate.
    a case size from 308 to 30-06 will use the same loads with the same boolit weights and give you the same results.
    you can trick some powders into thinking they are in the 308 case and have 100% fill but still take advantage of the lower powder volume [lower pressure] and gas produced from it.
    you can also use something like 5010 in the 308 and still be making the speed needed to shoot well [or boost it with a kicker charge]
    and still be in the safe pressure zone by a wide margin.
    it goes on and on.

Boolit Master
    I have tried fillers in other cartidges and have never had an increase in accuracy. Have not tried filler in the .338 Lapua Magnum and it is not likely I will.

I have tried fillers in other cartidges and have never had an increase in accuracy. Have not tried filler in the .338 Lapua Magnum and it is not likely I will.
    Ok, no filler, I know I'm bugging you but a few more questions if you don't mind. What type of lube and brand of gas checks are you using on the Lee boolits, I haven't been using checks since I started using the Powder coat but if I cant get it to shoot I will get some checks and try them. Thanks again.

Boolit Master
    Hornady gas checks and Lyman lube. I can sell you some checks to try before investing in a box of 1000. PM me. I highly recommend GC's on any boolit that will take them.

Update on my .338 lead adventure. I went through all of the powders and loads in the Lyman cast book, some of the loads given to me (thank you upnorthwis) and some that I worked up with Q.L. None of the loads worked very well they shot all over the place on an 18 x 24 target without checks, then I started with the loads i worked up on Q.L. the Lyman loads with RE 15 were the best if you could call it that so I went with IMR 4350 and started with starting fps for a 215 gr jacketed bullet. The load that I have come up with is showing some promise, still working on it but here is what I have so far, 216 gr powdercoated lead 90-5-5 alloy, copper gas check, Lapua Brass, Fed 215 primers, 76.0 gr IMR 4350. A.V. 2735 fps the circle is 2 1/2" the wind was blowing and gusting to about 20 mph still not to bad though. will keep working on it and will up date of any improvements.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	216 gr Lead.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	32.2 KB 
ID:	163536
    Last edited by .30carbnut; 03-14-2016 at 06:56 PM. Reason: spelling

Boolit Bub
    Lyman #3 has loads for .340wby.

I loaded some NEI .292gr RN boolits with about 45gr imr4198 and had some fun several yrs back.
    Check Lyman #3 before you proceed, but compare the case capacities and extrapolate w/care.
    Might even call Lyman ask them if they have data....

Dunno about the .338 Lapua though. Very Big Case ain't it? .338win is more versatile for cast if not happy w/.338-06.
    Detonation is always The Big Worry with light loads in the big magnum cases.

Yes the case is somewhat large 117.0 gr H-2O, but not really worried about detonation as the lowest loading manual charge of IMR 4350 for any load in the .338 Lapua is 72.9 gr.