RepackboxReloading EverythingLee PrecisionWideners
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Decided to get the XL650, what accessories to add

Boolit Grand Master

Decided to get the XL650, what accessories to add

So I decided to get the 650 to replace the LnL. I will keep the LnL for now, because to replace all the caliber conversions would be cost prohibitive, but as I get all of them replaced, will phase out the LnL.

I am ordering the following so far:

XL650
    45 ACP dies
    Large Pistol Case Feeder
    Small Rifle Case Feed Plate
    Strong Mount
    Roller Handle
    Bullet Tray
    Powder Sensor System
    Powder Check System
    Extra small and large primer tubes

Does anyone suggest anything else, add or take away?

Boolit Master

dont really need the powder sensor, the powder hopper is right there in front of your face. powder check on the other hand is a good idea. buy the spare parts kit, yes dillon will replace about anything under warranty, but if you have the kit you dont have to wait while you get parts sent to you.

I got the strong mount for mine and found it made the machine way too high. The powder check is a good thing to have, but when I get through 100 primers, I automatically top off the powder hopper.

Boolit Master
    Good decision!
    Boolits !!!!! Does that mean what I think it do? It do!

Boolit Master

Ergo Handle from Inline Fab instead of the Dillon roller handle.
    Same thing with their Ultramount!
    I'll be needing that for squirrels and such.....

Boolit Master

I use a flexible neck light aimed down on shellplate so I can see necks and powder level of cases before I seat the bullets. Congrats, you'll lose some sleep when you first get it getting acquainted with your new toy! Lol
    Last edited by clum553946; 02-10-2016 at 06:06 PM. Reason: Low primer alarm come with it

Boolit Master
    The case feeder makes life alot easier.

Boolit Buddy

Decided to get the XL650, what accessories to add

I have a bare bones xl650, I really wish I had the case feeder, tool mount and tools, and conversion kits. As it stands without the case feeder I have to stop ever 12 rounds or so to reload my tube. If you want to swap calibers you'll need the conversion kit. Like others have mentioned the powder sensor probably isn't needed, it's really easy to see if it's empty, and you don't really need extra primer tubes. The machine only holds 100, so you can load the machine then load an extra 100 in the primer tube and be ready for a tactical reload if you want. Usually a good idea to stop every 100 rounds or so and check things out, and the primer alarm helps you remember. If you have the extra cash quick change tool heads with powder measures are always a plus.

I have or have had just about everything you can add to a 650, except swagers, and would suggest you put it together stock and load a few thousand at least before you start changing things.

the collator would be #1 on my list and I like the bearing modification. Other than that and GSI bullet feeders and some spent primer mods mine are stock.

Boolit Master
    Regarding the strong mount, two things must be considered, bench height and operator height. My bench is 32.5" high, with the strong mount it puts the shell plate at 45" at it's lowest position and about 50".. at it's highest position. With myself being about 5'9" or a tad less the press height is practicaly perfect.

The case feeder is a must have.

Powder checker is very handy, not absolutelty needed if you have a well positioned light and the discipline to check each case as it goes past.

For changing primer sizes it is helpful to have a complete primer feed setup for large and one for small.
    Paul G.
    Once I was young, now I am old and in between went by way to fast.

The end move in politics is always to pick up a gun.
    -- R. Buckminster Fuller

Quote Originally Posted by bosterr View Post
    I got the strong mount for mine and found it made the machine way too high. The powder check is a good thing to have, but when I get through 100 primers, I automatically top off the powder hopper.

Dillon does make a strong mount just for the XL650 that isn't as tall, just in case you or anyone else didn't know.
    "Life isn't like a box of chocolates...It's more like
    a jar of jalapenos. What you do today, might burn
    your ass tomorrow."

Skip the Powder level sensor, BUT get the one that checks the powder in the cases! That thing is awesome.

If I were doing it over again, would get the strong mount (they make different ones), and ergo roller handle from Inline fabrication. And get the led lighting system from them as well.

The bullet bin seemed a bit expensive to me, so I bent a piece of angle iron and bolted it to the strong mount. Clip a akro bin on it and your gtg for $40 less.

Your going to love the blue koolaid.
    NRA Life Member

Like Dragonrider I too have compete primer assemblies for small and large primers and believe that was money well spent, a tool set and tool holder is another item that is non essential but I find comes in very handy.

Boolit Master
    Hornady bullet feeder die in your preferred caliber and a Lee Bullet Feeder to go on top of it with help from a Bully Adapter. It'll hold 80-100 bullets depending on how long they are and you can slam out rounds way quicker than by seating the bullet by hand. The total cost on this style of bullet feeder is right at $80-$90 with one caliber feed die. The Hornday feed die will need some work with a dremel to get it to feed cast boolits with awesome reliability, but it's easily done with some grinding stones and polishing pads.

I use my bullet feeder setup on station #3 where the powder check die/alarm would go. I seat in #4 and crimp in #5.

There is a way to setup a bullet feeder and retain the powder check station, but you'll need different tool heads to get into all that. And just that head costs $300. Here's the link to it:

http://www.gsiinternational.com/650-...4233_8595.html

Here's the links to my setup, I can take pics of mine later on if anyone is interested in my cheap guy bullet feeder setup.

www.Bullyadapter.com

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004EX...ullet+feed+die

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000KK...+bullet+feeder
    Last edited by tja6435; 02-11-2016 at 12:18 PM.
    8500' Wet Mountain Valley, Colorado

Quote Originally Posted by tja6435 View Post
    Hornady bullet feeder die in your preferred caliber and a Lee Bullet Feeder to go on top of it with help from a Bully Adapter. It'll hold 80-100 bullets depending on how long they are and you can slam out rounds way quicker than by seating the bullet by hand. The total cost on this style of bullet feeder is right at $80-$90 with one caliber feed die. The Hornday feed die will need some work with a dremel to get it to feed cast boolits with awesome reliability, but it's easily done with some grinding stones and polishing pads.

I use my bullet feeder setup on station #3 where the powder check die/alarm would go. I seat in #4 and crimp in #5.

There is a way to setup a bullet feeder and retain the powder check station, but you'll need different tool heads to get into all that. And just that head costs $300. Here's the link to it:

http://www.gsiinternational.com/650-...4233_8595.html

Here's the links to my setup, I can take pics of mine later on if anyone is interested in my cheap guy bullet feeder setup.

www.Bullyadapter.com

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004EX...ullet+feed+die

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000KK...+bullet+feeder

Please post your pics. I'd like to see them.
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Buddy

I would skip the Hornady bullet feeder die. Been there, done that, not happy. Get the Mr. Bulletfeeder drop die. It is the best design out there. Will cost you almost double the Hornady but it's worth it. If you search threads on bullet feeders you will see what I mean.

Boolit Master
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	53.0 KB 
ID:	160573

Boolit Master
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	56.8 KB 
ID:	160574

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingrhino View Post
    I would skip the Hornady bullet feeder die. Been there, done that, not happy. Get the Mr. Bulletfeeder drop die. It is the best design out there. Will cost you almost double the Hornady but it's worth it. If you search threads on bullet feeders you will see what I mean.
    The Hornady bullet feeder dies are setup for jacketed bullets. It needs some work to get it setup to where it will feed a lubed, cast bullet EVERY time. I have mine setup for .358" bullets currently. I do have the 45 cal feeder but haven't worked it over as I'm still loading small primer cases. I expect the 45 cal feeder to work 100% once I go through it. The die needs enough case flair to allow the bullet to drop and to sit down far enough into the case so it doesn't fall out as the shell plate is turned.

I have only used my Hornady feeder with plated so far but it worked fine with them out of the box.