Lee PrecisionRepackboxTitan ReloadingLoad Data
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Where to get angle iron ingot molds

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Whitesmoke View Post
    Guys,
    Hoping some one may be able to answer this one. My little mould sees way to small in the ingot weight it casts.

What size angle would I need to make another mould to throw ingots of around 1lb weight?
    That is going to depend on what length you want your ingots. It is a simple math volume calculation.

Boolit Master

East Arkansas where I55 & I40 come together and then split
    First of all I don't own a welder, but I work for a steel fabricator. It is good to befriend one of the fitter/welders I swapped a guy some
    .45 colt rounds for a couple of ingot molds made from 4" X 1 5/8" channel with 2 X 2 angle ends, I think the channel is 5" long. there are 2 channels
    per mold and he made me 2 molds. If the molds are filled to nearly over flow the ingots weigh a bit over 4 pounds.

The trouble with these ingot molds is he didn't cut a large enough angle in the end and when they were welded the end cut all but disappeared. It takes
    a little bit of banging to get the ingots to fall out. But that is the nature of the beast.

I also made a ladle out of a 4" domed pipe cap with a piece of bent square bar. It hold enough alloy to fill one of the channels.

Made a 3 cavity angle iron mold but did not angle the ends. Also welded inside the cavities then die ground o give a radius which was way more work and not really needed. Ingots fall out just fine.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123