MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationLoad DataWidenersSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading Lee Precision

Thread: BHN in 44 Magnum Rifle Hunting Loads

Boolit Master

BHN in 44 Magnum Rifle Hunting Loads

Once again, I turn to the experience of forum members for assistance. I am trying to work up an effective deer hunting load for my 44 magnum rifles... I will be shooting either a 270gr or 280gr LFN gaschecked bullet.. anticipated distances will range from 50 to 150 yards with velocity in those ranges at an approximated 1700fps and 1300fps respectfully. My supply of casting material is predominately wheel weights, but I also have on hand some linotype and a very small amount of tin... I did some load work up with straight wheel weights that were both water and air cooled, but found accuracy @ 100 yards often broken in two distinct groups or clusters... by that I mean of the five shots in a group, they often printed two separate tight clusters of 2 & 3 shots. ... In doing some research on the forum on 44 mag rifle accuracy, one contributor suggested that the BHN was most likely the culprit and needed to be increased to 25 or higher... What are your thoughts? What would the effect of such a high BHN be on game taking abilities within the target ranges of 50-150 yds???

As always, I thank you in advance for sharing your experiences to accelerate my learning curve... I obviously have a lot to learn..

Kindest regards,

TheMoose
    Perhaps my learning skills have diminished in my senior years.. 50 years ago I could read something once and then "have it"... Now I read it about three times, do it a couple of times and then... "have it" only about half the time.

Boolit Master
    First, pressure, not velocity, is what you need to match your hardness to. Since your higher velocities are from a longer barrel, and not higher pressure, velocity probably is not indicative of excessive pressure.

First, what does the barrel measure based on being slugged, what diameter are the bullets sized to, and what lube are you using?

Boolit Master
    If you use a gas checked boolit then you can use a softer alloy and still get expansion. Air cooled wheel weights are working well for me in my 77/44, but I'm only shooting 1325 fps so far. Still experimenting with the rifle as it is new to me.
    I was a dog on a short chain.
    Now there's no chain.
    Jim Harrison

Boolit Master
    sqlbullet, I cannot give you the slugged bore dimension at this time, but I can tell you that I sent the slugs to Veral Smith at LBTisaccuracy to build the moulds... the moulds are .433 and bullets are sized to .432... I am using Veral's SoftBlue lube.. Thanks for your assistance
    Perhaps my learning skills have diminished in my senior years.. 50 years ago I could read something once and then "have it"... Now I read it about three times, do it a couple of times and then... "have it" only about half the time.

Boolit Master

I've used straight wheel weights, straight range scrap, and the two mixed. Even some pure lead thrown in at times. I've never had leading with the .44 mag using full loads of WW 296, H-110, 2400, or Blue Dot. I've used several flavors of bullet lube too. I size mine to .431. Fired in four different Ruger revolvers and one Marlin micro-groove carbine. No leading. Good accuracy. I just find the .44 mag easy to load for. In the carbine, I chronographed one plain base bullet at just over 1800 fps, still no problem.

In mine I run the lead about 18 BHN but you could get by with less.

Boolit Grand Master

I shoot all PB boolits in my Marlin with no leading and running max. loads with the H&G #503 and Mihec 434640 over IMR4227. I found I had to get "fat" moulds casting no less than 0.432" and mine cast at 0.434". I normally shoot as cast.

Not used for hunting but my alloy is usually straight wheel weights or range scrap air cooled, not heat treated.

I haven't grouped at 100 yards with these loads so can't comment on that but accuracy at 50 yards is good with consistent clusters. I have not chronographed these loads either so don't know actual velocities.

Longbow

I used a Ruger Deerfield for both elk and deer, and a TC G2 with a 19 in barrel. Winchester white box and hard cast. The biggest thing I learned, was that this cartridge will shoot through an elk length wise and width wise. Just my two cents.

Banned

most of my hunting loads run around 16-18bhn. Not because its needed to prevent leading or a bullet that hard is needed for penetrating a deer. I do it because there just more accurate in my guns. Even hard yet would be my choice but lineotype has gotten to expensive for the most part for me to use anymore other then for alloying.

Boolit Buddy
    Not a 44 mag rifle, but in my 357 Marlin and 357 Max, I use half COWW and half range scrap. With a gas checked bullet loaded full speed, I noticed more variation with the type of powder used along with type of lube. I have had best of luck so far with MML lube. I also have a re chambered 454 casull rifle that has been showing the same trends, but I need to experiment with it more.
    Last edited by cattleskinner; 02-21-2016 at 03:25 PM.
    Sometimes I think we make things harder than they have to be

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    most of my hunting loads run around 16-18bhn. Not because its needed to prevent leading or a bullet that hard is needed for penetrating a deer. I do it because there just more accurate in my guns. Even hard yet would be my choice but lineotype has gotten to expensive for the most part for me to use anymore other then for alloying.
    I have found this to be true in my guns as well
    when testing your alloy be sure to let it age awhile before testing
    sort of let it settle
    I always look for accuracy first so whatever bhn it ends up to be there it is
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often