Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingLoad DataWideners
Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Powder Coat Primer

Banned

geez you invented aerobic bullet coating. Me I dump about a 100 bullets (44/45 more if smaller) in a cheap Frankfort anrsonel vibrating tumbler for 15 minutes. Dump it into a colander to remove excess pain and dump them on a sheet of non stick Reynolds wrap and bake for 15 minutes. Never had a problem with coverage using smokes black gloss. tried air soft bbs and even buckshot in the tumbler but it didn't add a thing. Just the bullets pounding against each other does the trick.

Boolit Buddy
    I have been away for four years. Is anyone still using this method?

Banned
    this is how I do it
    How I Powdercoat bullets

PC = Powder Coat
    ASBBDT = Airsoft BB’s Dry Tumble = swirl PC in a plastic bowl with lid in PC and BB’s or poly pellets.
    1) Confirm your oven is actually reaching the temperature you set it at by putting a couple of cheap oven thermometers in the middle of the shelf you will be baking on, adjust the oven temperature setting until the thermometers read 400°
    A) Countertop ovens are almost always off due to the location and type of thermostat they use. For the same reason, every time the temperature around the oven changes you need to re-check the setting
    B) Convection type ovens are preferable to toaster ovens because they circulate the heat and can evenly heat more coated bullets at one time.
    2) Get a plastic bowl with a #5 recycle mark on the bottom (I heard other numbers may work) Cover the bottom with ASBB’s or poly pellets
    3) Add a couple of Teaspoons of the PC color you want
    4) Put at least 12 clean bullets up to a couple of layers in the bottom of the bowl
    5) Make sure the lid is secure and swirl the bowl until the PC has a nice even coating on the bullets 15-60 seconds
    6) Pick out the coated bullets with tweezers, tapping off the excess PC and stand them on a baking pan lined with parchment paper/non-stick foil, non-stick bake mat, -----
    A) Some people dump the freshly coated bullets in a pan to make them easier to pick out, others make a colander with holes big enough for the BB’s to fall through and sift out the BB’s and excess PC
    B) Some PC’s you can sift in a colander then just dump on a baking screen and bake in a pile with little to no sticking.
    7) Place in oven preheated to 400° and bake for 25 minutes to assure you are getting a FULL CURE on the PC
    A) I like to cover the floor of my ovens with a heat-retaining media like ceramic BBQ briquettes/tile, fire brick, lava rock, --- to help the oven recover faster after opening the door
    8) Allow the PC’d bullets to cool or water quench them to increase the hardness of COWW (Clip-On Wheel Weights) or alloys with antimony and arsenic in them.
    9) When the PC’d bullets are cured hammer one into a 1/8 “ thick “Penny” or into a cube to check for adhesion/flaking
    10) Size to the desired size I prefer the NOE sizing die but also use Lee. You can even size in a lube-sizer.

Boolit Master

I found this tutorial not long after joining.
    Except for the scraping of the mocs on the carpet, I still do it this way. just a little less powder.
    And I dump HOT bullets into a bucket of water.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

I don't use the BBs and they turn out fine.
    The BBs seem to be an unnecessary step.
    Perhaps some types of powder they are needed but so far I have done without the need.
    Lately I have been letting my slugs cool naturally, but I have used water too.

Boolit Buddy
    Good post thanks.

Boolit Master

Any suggestions for building static without carpet? Our house is carpet free.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Conditor22 View Post
    this is how I do it
    How I Powdercoat bullets

PC = Powder Coat
    ASBBDT = Airsoft BB’s Dry Tumble = swirl PC in a plastic bowl with lid in PC and BB’s or poly pellets.
    1) Confirm your oven is actually reaching the temperature you set it at by putting a couple of cheap oven thermometers in the middle of the shelf you will be baking on, adjust the oven temperature setting until the thermometers read 400°
    A) Countertop ovens are almost always off due to the location and type of thermostat they use. For the same reason, every time the temperature around the oven changes you need to re-check the setting
    B) Convection type ovens are preferable to toaster ovens because they circulate the heat and can evenly heat more coated bullets at one time.
    2) Get a plastic bowl with a #5 recycle mark on the bottom (I heard other numbers may work) Cover the bottom with ASBB’s or poly pellets
    3) Add a couple of Teaspoons of the PC color you want
    4) Put at least 12 clean bullets up to a couple of layers in the bottom of the bowl
    5) Make sure the lid is secure and swirl the bowl until the PC has a nice even coating on the bullets 15-60 seconds
    6) Pick out the coated bullets with tweezers, tapping off the excess PC and stand them on a baking pan lined with parchment paper/non-stick foil, non-stick bake mat, -----
    A) Some people dump the freshly coated bullets in a pan to make them easier to pick out, others make a colander with holes big enough for the BB’s to fall through and sift out the BB’s and excess PC
    B) Some PC’s you can sift in a colander then just dump on a baking screen and bake in a pile with little to no sticking.
    7) Place in oven preheated to 400° and bake for 25 minutes to assure you are getting a FULL CURE on the PC
    A) I like to cover the floor of my ovens with a heat-retaining media like ceramic BBQ briquettes/tile, fire brick, lava rock, --- to help the oven recover faster after opening the door
    8) Allow the PC’d bullets to cool or water quench them to increase the hardness of COWW (Clip-On Wheel Weights) or alloys with antimony and arsenic in them.
    9) When the PC’d bullets are cured hammer one into a 1/8 “ thick “Penny” or into a cube to check for adhesion/flaking
    10) Size to the desired size I prefer the NOE sizing die but also use Lee. You can even size in a lube-sizer.
    I put 4 ingot muffins in the bottom of my oven to hold the heat

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12