Reloading EverythingRepackboxLoad DataLee Precision
Snyders JerkyWidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Has anybody tried the "other" HArbor Freight colors?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
    Black Airsoft BB's are the best from all reports, and they worked well for me. Size I use is .25 gram not sure it matters if they are that size or the .20 gram size. It doesn't take much in a plastic bowl to do the job. Maybe a layer two or three BB's deep. Cool Whip bowl will work but something with a screw or tight snap lid in #5 plastic is better. Cool whip works but tends to leak around the lid. White BB's are reported to not work well.

Walmart, Meijers, Amazon, most of the big sporting good chains.

You can order from this guy on the forum if you have any doubts or difficulty http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raying-bullets Smoke4320 sells the BB's and you can purchase a 1 pound sample pack of 3 or maybe 4 colors to try. More expensive than the harbor freight red but in a whole different legume in terms of quality and ease of application.

Thanks

exile
    "There is not a single instance in history in which civil liberty was lost, and religious liberty preserved entire. If therefore we yield up our temporal property, we at the same time deliver the conscience into bondage." --John Witherspoon, The Dominion of Providence Over the Passions of Men. 1776

"The words of the Lord are pure words, like silver refined in a furnace on the ground, purified seven times." Psalm 12:6 (E.S.V.)

Boolit Mold
    I've coated over 7000 .358 and .356 boolits with one pound sample pack from Smoke, and 1 pound of HF red, and I still have a **** load of powder left.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Boolit Master
    So, I ordered some powder and one of the colours is a purple 'metal flake' powder. It occurs to me to wonder if the metal flake would damage a barrel with repeated use? Also, how do you guys cure your powder coat before sizing or loading? I have seen some people water quench after coating. How long should you wait after coating to use your boolits? Any tips to getting a thin coat using the shake and bake method?

Sorry for the (repeated) thread hijack. I have started threads in the past, but they just don't seem to go anywhere. Thanks.

exile
    "There is not a single instance in history in which civil liberty was lost, and religious liberty preserved entire. If therefore we yield up our temporal property, we at the same time deliver the conscience into bondage." --John Witherspoon, The Dominion of Providence Over the Passions of Men. 1776

"The words of the Lord are pure words, like silver refined in a furnace on the ground, purified seven times." Psalm 12:6 (E.S.V.)

Boolit Buddy
    exile
    Don't know about the metal flake powders. The powder coat is cured when you bake it. Nothing else needs to be done. The water quench is to get the boolits harder by heat treating .This seems to work even through the powder coat. I think the thinnest coating I get is plucking the boolits out of the whatever container used with a tweezer and taping the tweezer on the edge to tap off some powder. Thinner yet is Hy-teck. I am a nube too at this.
    n.h.schmidt

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by n.h.schmidt View Post
    exile
    Don't know about the metal flake powders. The powder coat is cured when you bake it. Nothing else needs to be done. The water quench is to get the boolits harder by heat treating .This seems to work even through the powder coat. I think the thinnest coating I get is plucking the boolits out of the whatever container used with a tweezer and taping the tweezer on the edge to tap off some powder. Thinner yet is Hy-teck. I am a nube too at this.
    n.h.schmidt
    Thanks. exile

Boolit Master
    So, powder-coated my first boolits today, using the shake and bake method.;The green covered perfectly on the first try.;The purple powder is beautiful, but coated very thin and looks more like Hi-tek than powder-coat. ;The purple boolits were water quenched after coating.;Has anyone tried a second coat, does it work? The boolits looked the same for both colours prior to baking. I would be overjoyed if the purple boolits would shoot as they are with one coat. Will have to see how they shoot I guess.
    Last edited by exile; 04-06-2017 at 09:26 PM.

Boolit Mold
    Tried the red using that now, have the yellow comes out a little thin and the color not really yellow more like mustard to me. I combined some of each and got a tan instead of orange that I was trying for, but the coverage was good.

Boolit Master
    My PC experience was with HF White. I was at HF ( 50 miles away, one way) to pick up a vibratory cleaner & saw the PCs on a shelf nearby. They had Red, yellow, White & Black. SInce I had been reading that Red wasn't working well, I thought for about 6 bucks I would try the white. If it did not work I could use it for the fishing jigs & sinkers I cast. After leaving there, I stopped to get some treat CC media for the cleaner & picked up a small jar of Airsoft pellets( off color grey/green) while I was already figuring to try PCing some boolits, and if it did not work out I would just use the PC for the fishing stuff.

Short version: I did not work well for me... And I am only going to try this one more time, then re-evaluate on whether it is worth my time.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Long version:

I took the pellets , put them in a #5 recycling marked container & added some .44 mag 430gr SWC bullet to test this deal out. They were culls that I was going to return to the melt pot, but if the PC worked I would try them out in the SRH. So, I added the HF White PC powder & shook the **** out of the container for a minute or so. Opened the container & shook the contents out onto a piece of 1/4 in. hardware cloth I had cut for a screen to separate things. I could tell right off that the powder was not sticking to the bullets enough to fully coat. So, I repeated the process. Still not getting good coverage. At this point I was disappointed in this process. I had used the same amount of time to do this as tumble lubing with Alox, or the 45/45/10 I had been using so far. Not impressed...

I then decided since I was already in the middle of the process, I would give it one more try, but using a technique similar to the one I use with jigs/sinkers to try to get them coated with enough powder to bake. I added the rest of the powder to the container so there was much more powder that pellets & set a lit propane torch on it's side, so I could pass the boolits into the flame for a few seconds, then drop them into the powder paint to cover them with the powder. ( Not unlike some that I have read about here, who use an oven at 140F .
    to "pre heat" their boolits before the "Shake & Bake" part.) I am just preheating with a torch for a few seconds.

{ when doing jigs, I hold the wire hook with the jig head out & pass it into the flame a couple seconds & then dip into the paint container for just a second or so , and the head is the only part in the powder then pull it out. If the jighead is not fully covered I put it in the torch flame & rotate the head to get the paint to flow around the head if I can. If not, I usually just repeat the process. then hang on a wire to either use as is, or bake to "cure" the paint even more. Add eyes with a marker sometimes & off I go... Simple as that...}

Well after dropping approx. 70 of so boolits( a pan full, I did not count them) into the powder, I used the screen to separate again & I got a mixed bag of coverage. Some coated very well/maybe too think a coat, some that seemed like maybe just the right amount, and some not quite enough & same as the "shake & bake" effort before. So I took the ones with not enough & repeated the pre heat /drop & then put them with the rest on the pan. Baked for exactly 20 minutes with the oven on 400F. Apparently either the non stick did not work or I put the wrong side up. The boolets were either not covered well enough, "maybe" covered well enough, or covered thinck with pubbles of paint on the foil. I took them out of the oven & dropped the bunch into a pail of water with cloth on the bottom to cool & then waited a while for them to cool enough to handle.

Once removed from the water, I tried to remove them from the foil... Not good... almost every one stuck to the foil & it was pretty difficult to remove the foil from the bottom. Once again, I was not impressed. But, to try to salvage I looked over each one & kept about 20-25 to just "try" to make work in reloading. The rest I put in a pile & later that day when I started casting the ended up in the little ladle pot I use for making ingots so I could skim the paint blobs off & reuse the melted lead.

That is where I have stopped. I had over a hour + in this project & I could have tumbled lubed/ pan lubed a lot of boolits in the same time it took me to PC 70 of them & only ended up with maybe 25 for the efforts. I still have not used those PC boolits yet, as I have other things to do & other ammo to reload before I try cleaning the rest of the foil off, try sizing & all that jazz. I casted about 6-700 other boolets after this effort, & only counting the lube & set time I had them all tumble lubed & set up to dry on wax paper in about the same amount of time as the PC effort.

{I took close to a dozen pics, but I have not yet figured out how to post them here from photobucket. I tried the little icon up above & the IMG-/Image in the [ ] code, but neither worked for some reason. here is a link that might allow ya to see them if ya care to do so...

PC pics test run
    ---------------------

Depending on whether ya read the short or the long version, here are my thoughts....

I will try this one more time, and if the results do not improve, I will not do it again , unless I have the $$ to spare to buy one of those ES sprayer dohickeys to try this. I am not inclined to spend the $$ right now on one, as I could buy other reloading stuff with the same $$ that I can certainly use without issue, rather than throwing the $$ at something I may not like nor be able to use more than once. It is not like I have a lot of other things to ES coat & the Fishing stuff process is well established, so I really would not need it for that....

In summation... will keep reading & trying to learn more, but as of right now, I am not impressed with "my" results, even though some of you are having much better results. I may try doing a couple small lots with some of my fishing jig paints to see how that works using this method, but that is one of those, " hey, I have a little time, let's give it another try things.." I have been satisfied with the tumble & pan lube process & so I will stick to that for now. So, that is my story of using a different HF paint other than the HF Red.

G'luck to the rest of ya!

Boolit Mold
    JB : Feel the same way not spending money on a sprayer when I'm getting good results without it. What I do I use a small plastic peanut butter jar with a screw top. I add maybe 20 25 boolits depending on the caliber and a tablespoon of PC. Then I place it in my tumbler for about 10 mins. When that is done I pour the boolits into a screen sifter ($2 at WW) over a tin pie dish to reclaim any powder left. Then I place the boolits one by one on a metal screen (rain gutter screen from HD) using tweezers and into the toaster oven 350 deg. for 20 mins. When done I remove the screen using pliers and quench in cold water. Have had good results on 45 9mm 38spl and 223. I'm using the HF red.

Boolit Master
    I will try it again, for sure. But I am going to try to do a bit more research & maybe change containers.But, not going to spend any more $$. I will use what I have & see how things work out when I feel like trying again.

G'luck to all!

Boolit Master
    I know this thread is about Harbor Freight powders, but I wanted to report that I have had excellent results on my first try using pricier powders and the simple shake and bake method.

My question at this point is, does anyone have a method to remove hard wax commercial lube from boolits so that they can be powder-coated? I am sold on this powder-coating method and want to make use of it with boolits I purchased previously from commercial vendors. Thanks,

exile

Most things have been covered but I will put in my .02 cents. I started with the Harbor freight red and it worked O.K. Tried the yellow and like people are saying, I needed two coats. I did not get the black BB's. I got some green ones from Dunhams and they did not work very well. I ordered powder and BBs from Smoke and was surprised at the difference. The paint stuck to the bullets better and I could see a difference in the coating on the BBs. If you are going to give PC a good try I would recommend getting good powder and BBs from Smoke. I use his John Deere green the red the white the blue and the clear. I was surprised at how the clear turned out. I even bought his pink to use on the wife's bullets. I would also recommend getting a convection oven. My old one would not maintain even temperature. After getting the convention oven and checking the temp with the oven thermometer it hold good around the 400 degrees when set at 375. I still lube and size , but not as much. I still have too many tubes of lube for my Star sizer.

Boolit Master
    I moved on from the tumble method. Broke down and bought a gun. Bought some of the other HF colors, mostly for the containers, HF gun uses those special containers for the powder, only came w 2. See if the HF colors work good out of a gun.

If using HF powder the gun works best. The first HB powder I used was red. Worked great for a while. Then I couldn't get any of the colors to coat good with shake and bake. Solution, Smokes powder is the way to go for S&B. JMHO.

I'm A Honcho!
    Another vote for red. If using a tumbler...dont overdo it. A few tablespoons will do it for a few hundred bullets. I shoot for as thin of coverage as possible.