Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWideners
Reloading EverythingLoad DataSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: First attempt at making revolver stocks

Boolit Bub

First attempt at making revolver stocks

Hi. I just thought I would share my first try at making some stocks for my new flattop 44.I made a few mistakes when fitting the right panel but to be honest I didn't think I would even end up with something workable. Everything was done with hand tools. Coping saw,files and sandpaper. I have never been much for wookwork but I just Took a few hours on and off to give my hands a break. In the end they came out a little thicker than I planned but when I attached the grip screw. The nut was too thick so I couldn't make them any thinner without grinding into it. But all in all was fun project. So much so that I'm already starting my next set!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20160208_165751.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	57.0 KB 
ID:	160326Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20160208_165821.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	75.7 KB 
ID:	160327Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20160208_165842.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	80.8 KB 
ID:	160328

Look pretty good to me.

Moderator Emeritus

Agreed, they look good.

They look fine to me. From the looks of those, I sure wouldn't let it stop me from starting that second pair. While they may feel bit wide to you, I'm sure someone esle may find them the perfect fit for them.

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

Frosted Boolits

Yep they look good to me too! Great job!
    My Feedback : http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...iscoyotehunter

An armed society is a polite society.

the BB knows

Boolit Master

Excellent craftsmanship,don't stop.
    Are my kids/grandkids more important than "o"'s kids, to me they are,darn tooting they are!!! They deserve the same armed protection afforded "o"'s kids.
    I have been hoodwinked but not by"o"
    In God we trust,in "o" never trust
    Support those that support the Constitution and the 2nd Amendant

Nice looking grips. If too thick, grind away, damn the nuts.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Buddy
    Very nice work and you will only get better from here on out.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks I appreciate the compliments. Main reason. I wanted to post was because I probably never would of tried if I didn't see a post on the beartooth bullets page about making your own. It got me thinking I wasn't sure how things would work out but sometimes you just need to experiment. Never know until you try. When ever I get the next ones finished I'll post some better pics.

Moderator Emeritus

Good job! Now that you've found out you CAN do this, I suspect you'll be making several more sets, and the best thing is, you can make them to fit your specific hand, too! And yes, it really CAN make a significant difference, especially in instinctive, unaimed fire, in recoil control, and "pointability." It really gets intriguing what you can do with grips to affect your shooting.

Outstanding job! Those look fantastic. Maple is my favorite wood to work with.

Boolit Master

Nice looking stocks ! Love maple, I had someone make me a pair of birds eye maple for my GP-100. If you make more why not take photos along the way as a "how to" for the rest of us? I know I would like to see the process. Tim

Boolit Master
    very nice I like them.

Boolit Bub
    Yeah I'm planning on taking some pictures from start to finish on my next set. I'm currently looking for some wood though. Still have some Maple left but searching for some nicely figured walnut. I may just make Another Maple set just for fun/experience when time allows. Here's a link to the site that got me started. http://beartoothbullets.com/tech_not...h_notes.htm/67
    Last edited by KA0811; 02-13-2016 at 10:39 AM.

Looks really good to me too! Well done.

I did a pair many moons ago, but used an axle nut from the hardware store. It would be one option if you wanted to go thinner. Sometimes you can get trim from cabinet shops, or ask for a foot of wood backsplash material. It is about 3/8" thick.

Edit. The axle nut is a long bolt and a long nut, meaning it has a large variance in size while still looking finished. Mine was aluminum with a straight slot head.

Quote Originally Posted by KA0811 View Post
    Yeah I'm planning on taking some pictures from start to finish on my next set. I'm currently looking for some wood though. Still have some Maple left but searching for some nicely figured walnut. I may just make Another Maple set just for fun/experience when time allows. Here's a link to the site that got me started. http://beartoothbullets.com/tech_not...h_notes.htm/67
    That's a great article, thanks for sharing the link!

Boolit Master
    Been planning to make a pair of grips for a relic Ruger Single Six I resurrected. I have some fantastically figured Walnut that's been seasoning for about thirty years, but last time I tried making anything with it I dulled all my tools before getting a good start. That stuff is hard as iron when it gets that old. The straighter grained end of these boards is fairly easy to cut, the highly figured end is tough as pine knots.

Maybe I'll invest in some better hand tools before I try again. I'd rather not use power tools on these grips. Any suggestions on tools I should get?

I love the maple. Hard to work with but well worth the effort. Just remember you're only limited by your imagination. Dare to try.

Boolit Bub
    Multi gunner- a good rasp I would think would do you well. It's also important to have a file card and to clean periodically the chips etc. If you don't it'll clog up and not cut. I also use chalk on them as well.I mainly used a 3/8 rattail and a flat 8"bastard mill. But mostly the rat rasp. Then started with 60-80grit all the way to 800+. To be honest I think I made them too smooth, they are slippery suckers. I would like to use a belt sander for the beginning it would speed it up a little boards i started with were alittle under an inch on each grip so it wasn't too bad with a file but for my next I plan to use a 4x6x8 turning block of walnut so I think a belt sander will help alot