RotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRepackboxLoad Data
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision

Thread: Harbor Freight Bench Grinder Pedestal Stand

Banned

Harbor Freight Bench Grinder Pedestal Stand

This is the one I'm talking about;

http://www.harborfreight.com/heavy-d...tal-68321.html

How strong/rigid are these, does anyone know?

I have accumulated several tools that I won't use a lot, that I would like to be able to have something like this set up to be able to mount and unmount quickly. I have a couple of Lee Load Alls, and a few other presses and powder measures I'd like to use for some things but not often. I've bolted a couple of them to strong hardwood planks about 15" long that can be C clamped to my work bench, so if they could be clamped or maybe I could drill some holes in the platform of this thing and use bolts to mount them on it, that's what I'm thinking.

Would one of these, bolted to a concrete floor, be strong enough to be suitable for what I have in mind? I have a lot of reloading stuff and my bench is always cluttered. My Rockchucker will stay permanently mounted to a strong bench for routine or heavy tasks.

Vendor Sponsor

This one cost me absolutely nothing, picked up a space saver spare out of the median a day after an accident sent it from the smashed vehicle, I figure if they wanted it they would have been back to get it. Cut the tire off it, welded a piece of 2" pipe into it, made a plate for the top and drilled 4 holes in it, voila! A LOT more stable than the HF stand, and $54.99 cheaper!

You'd be better off looking in Craigslist for a welder that is local to you or if one of your buddies (or YOU for that matter) has a stick welder machine, you can make this in less than an hour. You can show them my photo if you find someone that will whip one out for you..

A stand like this one would do what you need for interchangeable work spaces, you could fit it with a wooden top as easy as I fitted a grinder to mine, then clamp your portable tooling to the wooden top. If you need to anchor bolt it, weld some tabs to the rim and drill them.
    Last edited by DougGuy; 02-07-2016 at 02:16 PM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    Years ago I ruined a John Deere 70, flywheel. The thing probably weighs over 100 lbs. I had a 2 or 3 inch square solid steel bar welded in the center, welded some angle iron at the top and put a wood top on it. I have two presses and a shotshell loader mounted on it and 2 or 3 powder measures. To move it, tip it and roll it. I been using it for 40 years or more. You could use a truck rim and run some braces from the edge of the rim to the top of the pedestal. An octagonal top gives you a lot of edges and don't take up as much room.

Boolit Master

I have my 6" Delta grinder mounted to one. There's absolutely no doubt in my mind it will suffice for what you're intending it for - especially bolted to a concrete floor. If you were talking about a swaging press or something of that nature, I'd say maybe not.
    So many guns, so little time

You must pay for everything in this life - nothing is free, except for the grace of God.

"Free cheese only comes in a mousetrap"

I have one on a wheel mount as well, filled with concrete and it won't move around at all.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    This is the one I'm talking about;

http://www.harborfreight.com/heavy-d...tal-68321.html

How strong/rigid are these, does anyone know?

Would one of these, bolted to a concrete floor, be strong enough to be suitable for what I have in mind? I have a lot of reloading stuff and my bench is always cluttered. My Rockchucker will stay permanently mounted to a strong bench for routine or heavy tasks.
    That will work fine for you.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Master
    I have One Of the other models with the 4 Legs. . I have a 6' black & decker Mounted . strong enough and good to Work on
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost

Boolit Buddy

A Guy I know mounted a 2" receiver hitch under top of his work bench and he mounted his bench grinder on a plate with 2" box steel to slide into the receiver he did these mounting plates for all his not often used equipment. When not in use it sets on the shelf take it down slide in the hitch use it put it away works well for him.
    Tony

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Menner View Post
    A Guy I know mounted a 2" receiver hitch under top of his work bench and he mounted his bench grinder on a plate with 2" box steel to slide into the receiver he did these mounting plates for all his not often used equipment. When not in use it sets on the shelf take it down slide in the hitch use it put it away works well for him.
    Tony
    That's a good idea, never would have thought of a reciever hitch. Commonly available too.

I had a welding shop make up something for my son's Eagle Scout project once, the guy was bored and put it together in an hour or so from stuff he had laying around and it didn't cost much. I might just see what I can do, but that Harbor freight one is easy for a guy like me with no welding abilities.

Boolit Buddy

The Harbor Freight stand would work fine. The big advantage of mounting under the bench is it saves floor space, and it moves the tool away from the wall giving more open space around the tool when in use
    Tony

Boolit Master

Sometimes you can get old unusable truck brake drums from a truck repair shop. They have plenty of weight to holt things steady. Mine has a 3x3" box tube for the upright.

Boolit Bub
    I used one similar to these for a reloading stand back when I lived in a apt. It worked reasonably well. I still use it from time to time for smaller projects. I also have one of the grinder stands with 4 legs that has a shelf under. I like that one better. I think the four legs works better. Add some ingots or bullets to shelf and its stable. Harbor freight has both models.

I also have the 4 legged model. Mounted 11x15x2" thick piece of heavy laminated wood scrap on top and it works great for my Summit press. No wiggle or wobble. So sturdy I am thinking I will try a Dillon 550b on it w/o strong mount.

Boolit Master
    The shop I work in has a brake drum from a Mac truck with piece of flat steel welded to the top, and an 2" tube for the post welded on top. That thing is heavy, and good thing is it won't move on you. I've made a couple using auto rims, but they are a little to light. Adding concrete would be a good idea. I just hate when there mounted to a bench, their messy and take up to much space.

Boolit Master

That is a slick idea. I'll be on the lookout for receiver parts now!

Quote Originally Posted by Menner View Post
    Tony