RepackboxTitan ReloadingWidenersLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Load Data

Thread: Lee Classic Turret/40 S&W question

Lee Classic Turret/40 S&W question

I am attempting to use a Lee 10 MM through the die powder drop/flare die to load 40 S&W. I can't seem to get enough travel on the ram to make the Pro Auto Disk powder measure throw properly or to flare the case.
    The press stops against the bottom of the die or the lugs on the toggle links of the press. The Lee 10 MM die is a very old one that I have had for years but never tried to use it until I purchased the Lee Classic Turret.
    I can't find the 10 mm die listed on the Lee web site now.

Any suggestions? I've already considered pouring gas on it and setting it on fire.

Have a blessed day, and thanks for you help in advance.

Leon

Boolit Master
    The sizer/drop tube may be too short for the .40. Maybe a spacer needed to lengthen it out?

Yes, the spacer should work. It would effectively lengthen the powder through ram on the Auto Disc.

A second option is to buy the Powder Through Expander Die in 40 S&W.

One of the cartridges I load on my Lee Classic Turret is the 40 S&W with Lee dies but I use the Lee Auto Drum. Mine is an all Lee system including the cast bullets I make with the Lee Pro 4-20 pot and the Lee 6-bullet mold. It all works really well.
    ,,, stupidity comes to some people very easily. 8/22/2017 Pat Lengyel (my wife) in a discussion about Liberals.

I have a Lee 40/10 carbide set and the expander plug in the drop die is:

1.302" over all length
    1.104" long for just the cylindrical portion before the flare section starts

The dies are marked 40/10.

Might help determine what you have.

GD

Does your die look like what's in the pic below? I had a similar issue with my 45-70 Powder Through Expander Die. In my case I could not get enough travel of the hollow ram on the Auto Drum to rotate the drum to the point it would drop the charge. I fooled around with it for awhile and decided to make a spacer. It's the small piece shown in the picture that goes inside the slider that nests in the die body. It effectively lengthened the hollow ram on the Auto Drum and now it works like it should. The OD on a #10 flat washer fits the ID of the slider perfectly if you can figure out how to enlarge the hole in the washer so as not to obstruct the powder. I drilled out a 1/4-20 hex nut then filed it round on the outside until it dropped into the sleeve.

In the pic I'm showing the Small Rifle Charge Die and an Auto Riser but it is the same basic idea as the Powder Through Expander Die.

,,, stupidity comes to some people very easily. 8/22/2017 Pat Lengyel (my wife) in a discussion about Liberals.

Boolit Master
    I dont see where Lee sells a set like they do with 44spcl/mag. Where there is a 44spcl set that will do magnum, and a magnum set that will only do magnum. Lee only shows a 40S&W/10mm set. I use the same press with the same dies, and have never had an issue with it. Use the same auto disc powder measure.

Wow! Thanks for all the quick responses. Just got in from church and found all the information. I had made a spacer, but didn't think it through. My spacer is .15 thk x 9/16" OD x 7/16" ID, which allows it to slide over the drop tube in the riser. I believe it should be like the one in the photo.

Thanks so much.