7 22.58%
  • 65-70

10 32.26%
  • 70+

4 12.90%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Poll on knee replacement

Poll on knee replacement

Would like to quizz you guys that have had knee or knees replaced your age when replaced. Wife is going to need and she is only 55. Thanks.

Oh boy, the usual suspects won't like seeing a poll in our town.
    Prepare to be lambasted with rude posts.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Boolit Master
    After delaying it - at my Orthopedic Surgeon's advice - until I turned 60, I decided not to wait any longer. They advise you to wait as long as possible due to the nominal 10-year life of the prostheses and our ever increasing life expectancy. Me, I'd rather be unable to walk at 70 than I would 60.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Master

I had my knee replaced when I was 55 even though the Dr. and the insurance company wanted me to wait til I was 65. But, I got to the point where the pain was so bad I spent most of my day in a wheelchair.
    I think what swayed them to my way of thinking, and it is the truth, no one in my ancestral past lived much beyond the age of 65.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Both of my neighbors are in their 50's and both have had both of their knees replaced. She was a telephone lineman and he painted houses and still does. I worked in the woods most of my life, I’m going to turn 70 this summer and have never had knee problems. Am I lucky or in for one hellofa shock one of these days?
    Gary
    Will Fly for Food... and More Ammo

Boolit Master

Pretty the same here,they want me to wait.I am currently under going a once a week injection (5).Made from rooster comb.Back is getting injections too.
    Pro Patria-Ne Desit Virtus

I advise waiting until you can no longer do the things you enjoy the most. In the meanwhile try to lose any extra weight.

My problems began in the early 70's when I suffered the "terrible triad" injury (blown ACL, Torn MCL...destroyed Medial Meniscus and also a shattered knee cap..There were no knee replacements in those days....I was 35 at the time. The doc did a "Slocum" procedure (real meat ball butchery but all they had at the time short of fusing the knee)...He said it might last 15 years and that there was a new procedure called total knee replacement that was "coming along"...I limped and struggled with that blown out knee till June of 2006 when the "grand old man" of knees at Scripps Green hospital agreed to take my knee as a teaching surgery and also as a platform for a trial he was running on a knee that is a bit different.

I was fortunate...he did the surgery (involved) and the knee is functioning great. I'm not a high activity person so the knee is holding up well...because there was so much prior damage my surgery to replace the knee was involved and the recovery was fierce but doable...I was told that he would expect my knee to be good for 15-20 years....I'm now 78 and see him every 2 years and no deterioration at all so I'm not expecting problems....sure an accident or mishap might be an issue but being fairly sedentary keeps the pressure on the artificial knee down.

People that are younger that play tennis, jog, ski or do activities that are hard on a regular knee will have shorter results on a later surgery....I think carrying it as far as a person can was best in my case but your mileage may vary.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by WILCO View Post
    Oh boy, the usual suspects won't like seeing a poll in our town.
    Prepare to be lambasted with rude posts.
    Really? Are you sure? How could this be, we are all so supportive of each other here.
    What is best in life?
    1. Crush your enemies
    2. See them driven before you
    3. Hear the lamentations of their women

Boolit Buddy
    My Father did one knee at 69 and wished he had done both at the same time years before. He is more mobile now at 71 then he has been for many years.

Boolit Buddy

One, two, buckle my .... knees.

Do it. Do in now. Follow doctor instructions. Now.

Nose Dive

Cheap, Fast Good. Kindly pick two. ( have two new knees)

Boolit Master

wife got hers at 52 changed her life way to the better. She became a different person

Boolit Master
    Had the right knee done at67, got infected six weeks later. Cut it open and cleaned it out, should have had it replaced. One bothered me for nine years, finely couldn't stand. Went to the ER they put me in the hospital with a severe infection, the surgeon said infection had been there all the time, and I might lose leg. After three operations and 10 weeks of massive IV antibiotics I got a new knee
    Frank G.

Boolit Master

I'll be 68 when I get mine done in a few months, but the inside cartilage was cut out 50 years ago, so I got full use out of what remained.

Boolit Buddy

I had both knees replaced 5 years ago at 59. Glad I did it. One thing they don't tell you is that the knee replacement fixes the joint it DOES NOT fix soft tissue damage. The longer you walk on a bad knee, the more you compensate for pain and motion, the more the soft tissue changes to compensate for the new motion. Some of this can be fixed with therapy some can't. The longer you wait the harder it is to fix. My one knee is at 100% the other is about 90%, glad I didn't wait longer.

Starbits
    "Only the weak blame parents, their race, their times, lack of good fortune, or the quirks of fate. Everyone has it within his power to say, this I am today, that I shall be tomorrow. The wish, however, must be implemented by deeds." Louis L'Amour The Walking Drum

My mom got both knees replaced when she was 53, both done at the same time.

Still have the original running gear and intend to keep it that way if I can.
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Boolit Master
    I have not had one (so didn't vote), but have several friends that have, and spent years working in hospitals, to include with knee replacement patients. The general consensus I have been told is wait til you HAVE to, and DO BOTH at the same time if needed. Having said that, I have not been told by a single person that they regretted having it done, but many that said they should have done it sooner, and also many that said they should have had both done at the same time so they would be down and healing once instead of twice--BUT everyone said that it was an excellent decision and helped them greatly. They also said that the first 2-4 days immediately after the surgery they were miserable and questioning if they should have done it, but after a week or so, the healing and improvement makes the first few days worth it and recovery is relatively quick.
    I passed my last psych eval, how bout you?

Boolit Bub
    I had mind done on 1 25 16 today is 2 weeks still have pain but what would you expect. The first twenty four the pain was unbearable I mean pull your hat down tight cause you in for a ride. Would I do it again even with the pain I have today YOU BET I WOULD also had hip in 2013 doing great with it also I'm only 55 but my quality of life was terrible before the surgeries

I THANK YOU guys for the information. She's just about immobile, has has issues with tendinitis in ankle, knees just hurt. Got first shot in left the other day. Right needs it too. We'll see how it goes. Guess it might be a year or so down the road. Again thanks

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast