7 22.58%
  • 65-70

10 32.26%
  • 70+

4 12.90%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Poll on knee replacement

Boolit Master
    If it's that bad, she may not want to wait a year if it's possible to do it sooner.
    I passed my last psych eval, how bout you?

Yeah, but she is so pain adverse..... She is afraid of the unknown. And I'd almost have a divorce every day getting her to the rehab. She has to come to the conclusion herself...... Me pushing delays that. Finally figured it out after 35yrs

Boolit Master
    I had both done in 2005,six months between each operation.I have never looked back since then.It made me a new man and I would recommend it to any who need it.Alright after the opp I felt sorry for myself for almost Two Months then I started to feel elated when I could walk considerable distances and not have to deal with pain anymore.A good tip after the opp get on your feet when you get home a go a little further each day although you might feel uncomfortable the exercise will built tissue around the replacement components.I am now 79 years old and minus Pain.Go for it.
    Last edited by Col4570; 02-13-2016 at 08:57 AM. Reason: edited date of opps.

Boolit Master
    That's me winning a Silver at Clay Busting on my Bionic Legs.

Boolit Buddy
    Get it done why suffer! Did my right knee in 2014 no pain can do just about anything i hunt elk, deer i trap. Im 69 and doing great!

Boolit Master

This is encouraging. I'm past 60, left knee "popped" sideways while I was lacing up a boot about 4 years ago. Felt like I was struck by lightning. Well, what I imagine it would feel like to be struck by lightning. It's hurt ever since and the right one is catching up. I'm unable to shoot USPSA competitively because I can't run. If I expect to spend four to six hours on my feet I take a pain pill before I start the activity. I'll be talking to the doctor again soon.

The doc gave me a cortisone injection and I felt great for 2 weeks. At the end of 2 weeks it started wearing off and by the third week it was pretty much back to pre-injection. A few months later I got the rooster comb one time injection. I couldn't tell that there was any benefit from that.

For anyone contemplating either of those procedures, the cortisone was no worse than a small Novocain injection and the rooster comb was painless. Hard to imagine, maybe, but I was pleasantly surprised.

David
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Handloader109 View Post
    Yeah, but she is so pain adverse..... She is afraid of the unknown. And I'd almost have a divorce every day getting her to the rehab.
    That is not good. If you have a good therapist they will push you and it will be painful. It is a short term pain for long term gain. Seriously the rehab is the most important part of the process. If she doesn't do the rehab the outcome will not be good. If you allow her to shirk or skip rehab you will both regret it.

Starbits
    "Only the weak blame parents, their race, their times, lack of good fortune, or the quirks of fate. Everyone has it within his power to say, this I am today, that I shall be tomorrow. The wish, however, must be implemented by deeds." Louis L'Amour The Walking Drum

Boolit Master
    Good advice from starbits,I agree that the rehab is most important to good recovery.A cold compress is good for pain relief,I used a Pack of frozen Peas on the sore joint during the healing process,just refreeze every now and then.Try to keep the Bed Sheets from touching the wound,I used a Plastic storage Box with the ends cut out.Go for it.
    P S .Most people would buy an ice pack rather than the Frozen Peas,just do,nt eat the Peas .Good Luck.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by David2011 View Post
    This is encouraging. I'm past 60, left knee "popped" sideways while I was lacing up a boot about 4 years ago. Felt like I was struck by lightning. Well, what I imagine it would feel like to be struck by lightning. It's hurt ever since and the right one is catching up. I'm unable to shoot USPSA competitively because I can't run. If I expect to spend four to six hours on my feet I take a pain pill before I start the activity. I'll be talking to the doctor again soon.

The doc gave me a cortisone injection and I felt great for 2 weeks. At the end of 2 weeks it started wearing off and by the third week it was pretty much back to pre-injection. A few months later I got the rooster comb one time injection. I couldn't tell that there was any benefit from that.

For anyone contemplating either of those procedures, the cortisone was no worse than a small Novocain injection and the rooster comb was painless. Hard to imagine, maybe, but I was pleasantly surprised.

David
    The Chicken Comb did nothing for me other than put a big dent in my checking account. The cortisone gave me relief for about 2 weeks. Celebrex gave me the most help.
    I had the first knee replaced in Sep, 13 and the second Dec, 13, about 2-1/2 months in between. I was deer hunting 3 weeks after the 1st one (carefully). As most pointed out the pain was pretty bad the first couple days but the pain meds helped a bunch. My rehab actually wasn't near as bad as many told me it would be but I started with the attitude that I was going to make this work since I didn't want to be inactive. That can happen after I pass.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by nicholst55 View Post
    After delaying it - at my Orthopedic Surgeon's advice - until I turned 60, I decided not to wait any longer. They advise you to wait as long as possible due to the nominal 10-year life of the prostheses and our ever increasing life expectancy. Me, I'd rather be unable to walk at 70 than I would 60.
    Same thing with me just got cortisone shots this week iam 58 trying to hold out. A friend had his done at a early age late 50's had to have them done again at 72

Boolit Mold
    Mom needed something done with her knees for a long time...probably starting around her mid-to-late 40s or so. The doctors were loath to do knee replacements at that age, though, out of concern that she would outlive them, so they tried various other treatments and surgeries in the meantime. She was finally able to get the first knee done at 60, with the other knee following a few months later, and she's been good to go ever since. They're supposed to last 20 years IIRC, so there's still a fair-to-good chance she will outlive them, but at least it's not the dead certainty it would've been if the work had been done at 50 or 55.

Boolit Master
    Current knees are projected to last 30-35 years. Had one done last November.....the other is scheduled for next month. PT isn't all that bad....the worst for me was sleeping on my back for well over a month. Was on Celebrex for over 10 years.

Winelover

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    My wife had one of her knees replaced 5 years ago (at 64). The surgeon used a new style of artificial knee that is made similar to the original knee. It uses some type of "space age" material in the area that our cartilage is. The surgeon told us that when this material wears out, the artificial knee is designed to allow a simple out-patient surgery to just replace this worn material. My wife just went thru physical therapy and is now doing exercises every day to strengthen her core muscles. She is then going to have the other knee replaced.
    Shoot'em If You Got'em...

Well, we'll see. Yeah, I'll have to push her. That will be the main issue, rehabilitation. I kind of expect it to be a while longer.... Obviously we has to go through the process.... Try this, try that and end up with Dr recommending the replacement. My daughter will be back home next fall, between the two of us, we can push and badger her rehab.

Boolit Mold
    There are two areas I need to weigh in here. The technology has changed very fast,
    and it may be hard to find what I got, which I would strongly recommend:

First, the plans for the alignment of the new knee: Biomet has developed a system
    called the "Signature" system, which actually takes a full leg MRI/CT scan, and
    sends it to Belgium, where your wife's virtual knee is computer generated and
    special alignment blocks are designed on her bones, to generate a permanent
    alignment. These alignment blocks are sent to your Surgeon, and who uses them
    only to align your wife's bone cuts, which is totally important for optimum
    alignment success. At incision, each block is temporarily pinned to each of the
    femur and tibia, long enough to mark them for the bones to have the correct
    facets cut - imperative for proper proper fit of the prostheses.
    Side benefit: Smaller incisions, shorter and less painful recovery times.

Now the prostheses: Biomet's "Vanguard XP" knee fixtures are the first
    successful designs that allow the Surgeon to RETAIN your ACL and PLC.
    Prior fixtures required severance of these. Again, also smaller incisions
    and better recovery times.

I got my new knee at age 68, after waiting way too long, but benefitting
    in having the time to research the available technologies. I got it done in
    MI, at the Declare Knee and Orthopedic Institute, after having some
    troubles in finding a surgeon conversant with the procedures (Most
    Dr.' just laughed, when I told them I wanted that new process that
    allowed me to keep my ACL and PCL!!!

Now, I understand Biomet has been bought by Zimmer, so I'm not
    sure about how - or where - to get the new technology.

Make no mistake - knee replacement is painful, and requires loads
    of therapy before and after the surgery. But, I've ended up with
    a very small scar, and zero - repeat zero after-effects: When asked,
    my usual reply is that's gone - no longer a factor - no side effects
    or lingering pains. Indeed, I can again get down on my knees when
    I need to, for home repairs, maintenance, or just to find something
    I've dropped! Also, I was warned that my other knee was getting
    close to needing replacement, but it seems to have improved, to
    no problems with it, although I tend to "favor" my new knee, when
    I need to use one.

One final note; This new knee uses specialized, highly cross-linked
    polyethylene inserts for all the wear surfaces. No one seems to know
    how long they will last, but if one does wear out, only the insert
    needs to be replaced, in a very simple surgery. The Titanium and
    Cobalt Chrome base parts are permanent.

Good luck, and please let me know how it all turns out. Just don't
    let someone convince you to settle for old technology!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Boz330 View Post
    The Chicken Comb did nothing for me other than put a big dent in my checking account. The cortisone gave me relief for about 2 weeks. Celebrex gave me the most help.

I didn't want to be inactive. That can happen after I pass.

Bob
    So true on both counts!

David
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Bachner View Post
    There are two areas I need to weigh in here. The technology has changed very fast,
    and it may be hard to find what I got, which I would strongly recommend:

First, the plans for the alignment of the new knee: Biomet has developed a system
    called the "Signature" system, which actually takes a full leg MRI/CT scan, and
    sends it to Belgium, where your wife's virtual knee is computer generated and
    special alignment blocks are designed on her bones, to generate a permanent
    alignment. These alignment blocks are sent to your Surgeon, and who uses them
    only to align your wife's bone cuts, which is totally important for optimum
    alignment success. At incision, each block is temporarily pinned to each of the
    femur and tibia, long enough to mark them for the bones to have the correct
    facets cut - imperative for proper proper fit of the prostheses.
    Side benefit: Smaller incisions, shorter and less painful recovery times.

Now the prostheses: Biomet's "Vanguard XP" knee fixtures are the first
    successful designs that allow the Surgeon to RETAIN your ACL and PLC.
    Prior fixtures required severance of these. Again, also smaller incisions
    and better recovery times.

I got my new knee at age 68, after waiting way too long, but benefitting
    in having the time to research the available technologies. I got it done in
    MI, at the Declare Knee and Orthopedic Institute, after having some
    troubles in finding a surgeon conversant with the procedures (Most
    Dr.' just laughed, when I told them I wanted that new process that
    allowed me to keep my ACL and PCL!!!

Now, I understand Biomet has been bought by Zimmer, so I'm not
    sure about how - or where - to get the new technology.

Make no mistake - knee replacement is painful, and requires loads
    of therapy before and after the surgery. But, I've ended up with
    a very small scar, and zero - repeat zero after-effects: When asked,
    my usual reply is that's gone - no longer a factor - no side effects
    or lingering pains. Indeed, I can again get down on my knees when
    I need to, for home repairs, maintenance, or just to find something
    I've dropped! Also, I was warned that my other knee was getting
    close to needing replacement, but it seems to have improved, to
    no problems with it, although I tend to "favor" my new knee, when
    I need to use one.

One final note; This new knee uses specialized, highly cross-linked
    polyethylene inserts for all the wear surfaces. No one seems to know
    how long they will last, but if one does wear out, only the insert
    needs to be replaced, in a very simple surgery. The Titanium and
    Cobalt Chrome base parts are permanent.

Good luck, and please let me know how it all turns out. Just don't
    let someone convince you to settle for old technology!

Ed: The procedure you described is very similar to Smith & Nephew replacements.....which my surgeon uses. They are out of the United Kingdom. IIRC

Winelover

Mrs.WildBill7 has had both knees replaced. In 2014 and 2015. Swore after the first never again, about nine months later(she forgot about the painful rehab) she had it done again. Best thing for her and she walks without any limp. Don't know what type of knee's they are but she likes them now. Amazing that two hours after recovery they have you up and walking, but back in the fifty's when I had my appendix removed you had to stay in bed three weeks. Ah, progress isn't it wonderful.

Boolit Mold
    I am 6 weeks post op. I had my knee replaced in Houston at the Texas Orthopedic Hospital. I was bone on bone. Day 10 was the turning point after the surgery, as far as pain and such. I am still working to get full use of the leg. I am about 4 deg from being able to straighten it, and can only flex it about 100 deg. I have trouble going down steps, but can walk fairly well. I am just worried i will never get full use of it again, but the doctor said I am doing fine.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Chickm1 View Post
    I am 6 weeks post op. I had my knee replaced in Houston at the Texas Orthopedic Hospital. I was bone on bone. Day 10 was the turning point after the surgery, as far as pain and such. I am still working to get full use of the leg. I am about 4 deg from being able to straighten it, and can only flex it about 100 deg. I have trouble going down steps, but can walk fairly well. I am just worried i will never get full use of it again, but the doctor said I am doing fine.
    Keep at the PT. Mine went exceptionally well and I had 127* in one and 129* in the other and 0* straight at the end of therapy. My supervised PT lasted about a month and I still do some of the exercises to this day to maintain movement. Especially this time of year.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast