RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
WidenersReloading EverythingLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Little dandy powder measure

Boolit Grand Master
    I noticed that the plastic reservoir on one of my Little Dandies was starting to crack, so I picked up a spare or two at the next big gun show I went to (there is a vendor who comes to the larger VA shows) and I noticed the other day one is still in the package on my bench. If you are really that hard on them, you can buy a piece of nickel plated drain pipe from your local plumbing supply for a retro look that will last forever!

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Called RCBS and they sent the barrel postpaid for free. Can't beat that.

Boolit Mold
    I have a Bonanaza tool that is like the RCBS Little Dandy. I heard that they one and the same as far as replacement parts go. Does anybody know for sure.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tony S View Post
    I have a Bonanaza tool that is like the RCBS Little Dandy. I heard that they one and the same as far as replacement parts go. Does anybody know for sure.
    Hi Tony,

Great question. I don't have an answer but wanted to welcome you to the forum!

David
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony S View Post
    I believe you will find them different enough that the parts don't mix. IIRC, the Bonanza unit is more like the older Bair and Pacific units, but I'm not sure even they will work with your Bonanza. Could you post a set of dimensions of one of the rotors that actually measure the powder on your measure? I'll compare those to the Little Dandy rotors (and Pacific rotors) that I have.

Froggie

Boolit Master
    I can tell you for sure that the Pacific measure is different. The rotors are much smaller on the Pacific. In fact I had another pacific and their rotors were different.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Master
    What adjustable measure?
    I have all the rotors, great tool.
    Leadmelter
    MI

I have an RCBS Little Dandy, and two Pacifics, and use them quite a bit at the range for reloading on the spot. I haven't reworked the RCBS rotors, but the Pacific uses brass rotors, so I often custom drill them out to tune them to the exact charge I want. I use the Pacific when breech seating in my.32-40 Ballard schuetzen rifle, as I can use my Meacham re-de priming tool to pop out a primer, and re-prime the case. Then drop a charge with the Pacific, breech seat a bullet in the bore, and chamber the charged cartridge. With the hand primer, and Pacific powder measure, I can shoot the same case all day long with very good accuracy

I missed a bid on another of the Pacific pistol powder measures by that much. I have one that uses the 1/2" diameter brass bushings, and also have a Little Dandy, I need to drill out one of the bushings that a nice member of this forum sent me free of charge. The Pacific pistol measure doesn't come up for sale much, they are great little tools.

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Joe Clarke View Post
    The Pacific pistol measure doesn't come up for sale much, they are great little tools.
    They sure don't! When the 2nd one I found showed up on a table at our local gun show NIB, with no bushings for $5, I figured why not have a spare?

Boolit Grand Master

I got my Pacific with the slide cheap because the original aluminiun slide was broken at the hole for the bushings. I sent the broken slide to Buckhot and he made me a steel one that only took literally three swipes with my file to fit perfectly. I have drilled out several cutoffs of 1/2" brass to make my own measures.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Any of you Little Dandy guys have any spare rotors? I need 4, 6, 7 and 9. Send me a pm if you do, I might have something to trade.

Boolit Master
    I would like to add from # 12 on.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by marlinman93 View Post
    They sure don't! When the 2nd one I found showed up on a table at our local gun show NIB, with no bushings for $5, I figured why not have a spare?
    The limiting factor is the rotors! Extra rotors are hard to find and only a couple of my measures came with more than a single rotor. I may have to break down and actually make some.

Froggie

The Little Dandy comes with "Rotors", the Pacific comes with brass bushings, 1/2" dia x 1/2" long, with the appropriate diameter hole drilled and/or bored in it. By the way, if you have a Bushing chart for the Pacific, the inside diameter for a particular load/powder is shown on the chart.

Boolit Grand Master

Froggie and I have had this confusion in the past. It appears that Pacific made or marketed both styles, with the rotor (a la RCBS/Bair) and one with the slide and bushing. I have a Bair with the rotor and a Pacific with the bushing - and somewhere in the back of my alleged mind something is telling me that Pacific bought Bair and those two with the rotor are the same?
    Wayne the Shrink

This is the Pacific that I am talking about, with the brass bushings.

That's not the little Pacific pistol powder measure. The two I have are much smaller, and have rotors very similar to my Little dandy. I never use my Little Dandy anymore, as I prefer the slightly smaller Pacific measures.
    Here's a picture I found on the internet. The Pacifics are center and right:

Boolit Grand Master

That's what I was saying - they are both Pacific Pistol Powder Measures.
    Wayne the Shrink

Can anyone suggest a product to coat the LD rotors with to prevent corrosion? Something that won't contaminate powder. Mine are still clean, but it seems most used ones offered F/S are speckled with rust.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast