RotoMetals2Load DataInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1911 guide rod

I've disassemble my series 70 Gold Cup, with 2 piece guide rod. Without the use of an allen wrench for 40 years. I didn't know I needed one. There's a reason why, most modern semi-autos have a captive recoil spring. I can't imagine, how many buckets of 45's I've fired over the years and this handgun still looks near new.

Quote Originally Posted by KYCaster View Post
    Looks like I'm the odd man out here since I prefer the full length guide rod.

I'll happily swap a GI guide rod and plug for your Springfield parts.

Jerry
    Quote Originally Posted by apen View Post
    Why do you prefer it?
    Quote Originally Posted by John 242 View Post
    Some people, myself included, feel that a 1911 runs smoother with a full length guide rod. This is certainly a subjective claim.
    FLGRs allow you to remove the slide assembly as a unit by simply pulling the slide stop. The spring remains captured in the slide, around the guide rod. If you occasionally run a .22 cal conversion, like I do, this is very helpful.
    A tungsten guide rod can add a little weight to the front end of the pistol, although not much.
    Disassembling a pistol with a (one piece) FLGR is not significantly more difficult than one without it.

There's always a lot of talk about not deviating from Browning's original design, but it was the US Army that drove the development of the pistol that became the 1911. Browning and Colt had to modify their original design, the 1902, over a period of nearly TEN YEARS, before the Army was satisfied with the resulting pistol. For good or bad, the 1911 was hugely a product of Browning giving the US Army what it wanted.
    Is the 1911A1 an abomination?

In the end, it is the user that has to decide which features they feel they need in a 1911 type pistol.
    I prefer sights that I can see (actually i prefer tritium night sights), a FLGR, beaver tail grip safety, checkered front strap, arched mainspring housing, long trigger, slightly beveled mag well, and (horror of all horrors!) an extended thumb safety and magazine release.

What John said, mostly.

Just a matter of preference. Doesn't bother me a bit if you don't agree. Seems to me if the mod doesn't interfere with proper function then what's the problem?......no harm, no foul!

Full length guide rod seems to operate a bit smoother. Does the GI guide rod work? Of course it does.....my FLGR does too. So what's the problem?

Beaver Tail Grip Safety.....Wouldn't keep a 1911 without it. Two mags through a GI spec gun and I bleed. Beaver tail cures that....so what's the problem?

Can't say I care for extended safety and slide stop, but if that's what you like, that's fine with me.

Arched main spring housing vs. flat.....don't knock it till you try it. Main spring housing can make a dramatic difference in POI and recoil recovery. You may be surprised at the difference it can make.

Flared mag well.....of course! How could that possibly be a negative?

On the down side...... What's this fascination with Pachmayer wrap around rubber grips? The GI spec grip is too big for most people as it is. Why in the world would you want to make it bigger?

But.....that's just My-Not-So-Humble-Opinion. It's OK with me if you don't agree, just don't ask me to agree with your opinion without comment.

Jerry
    Buzzard's luck!! Can't kill nothin', nothin'll die!!

Boolit Buddy
    What is best in life?
    1. Crush your enemies
    2. See them driven before you
    3. Hear the lamentations of their women

Boolit Grand Master

FLGR is not useful other than, literally, as a weight. I have used a tungsten rod, steel and none, all for many
    tens of thousands of rounds in competition. Now, none in my guns any more. No need for the weight, and all
    other claims are illusions, other than the obvious PITA on disassembly. And, yes, I do know many different ways
    to field strip a 1911 after 36 yrs of shooting them and many hundreds of thousands of rounds downrange.
    Still a PITA compared to stock with no gain other than weight. If you want weight, it is good. If not, it is
    unneeded.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by KYCaster View Post
    What John said, mostly.

Just a matter of preference. Doesn't bother me a bit if you don't agree. Seems to me if the mod doesn't interfere with proper function then what's the problem?......no harm, no foul!

Full length guide rod seems to operate a bit smoother. Does the GI guide rod work? Of course it does.....my FLGR does too. So what's the problem?
    I didn't offer an opinion one way or the other. I simply asked a question. Be defensive with those that said you don't need it. I didn't do that.

Banned
    Back when I was into the 1911 I used both the stock set up and the guide rod. I came to the same conclusion, the FLGR is not needed and adds nothing other than a little bit of weight. I've also used an empty 45 casing with the rim turned down as a recoil spring plug! (long story that didn't involve lost parts, just lost sanity)

Boolit Buddy
    Interesting, as looking at the latest Brownells catalog a Clark full legnth guide rod is offered. I don't have a opinion either way. I have run a 1911 with both and I didn't see a difference either way. So whatever floats your boat.

Quote Originally Posted by therealhitman View Post

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    Back when I was into the 1911 I used both the stock set up and the guide rod. I came to the same conclusion, the FLGR is not needed and adds nothing other than a little bit of weight. I've also used an empty 45 casing with the rim turned down as a recoil spring plug! (long story that didn't involve lost parts, just lost sanity)
    I once watched my plug go flying over the bench in front of the line during a slow fire stage
    When I was trying to fix something in a hurry.
    That will make you lose a little sanity.

Boolit Master

I hate to FLGR. My Kimber has one. MTGN44 said it right, PITA.
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by apen View Post
    I once watched my plug go flying over the bench in front of the line during a slow fire stage
    When I was trying to fix something in a hurry.
    That will make you lose a little sanity.
    Never experienced anything like that but clearing a stovepipe always got me concerned in ragged fire, as sometimes it cost me 10 points!!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12