Inline FabricationLoad DataRepackboxWideners
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky

Thread: Need a critique on a proposed load.

Boolit Bub

Need a critique on a proposed load.

Greetings to all,
    As a relative new reloader, I would appreciate your thoughts on this load. I've put this together by consulting the Alliant Powder Book. The proposed is a .360RNFP 158 grain boolit from Moyers Cast Bullets in Pa. on top of 4.0 gr of Bullseye in a 357 mag case.
    This is to be fired in a Marlin 1894C micro groove bbl (pre safety button). The completed boolit measures 1.5760 inches and fits with a definite "plunk" in the Marlin chamber. I've set the die to put a "light" crimp on the boolit. BTW, I have Unique and H110 powders also available.
    As an aside, I want to use this load in a S&W Model 65. I have no desire to do anything more than shoot "minute of beer can" and maybe shoot at a steel plate. As another aside, my young Granddaughter want to go shooting with Granddad so "Mild" recoil is desireable.
    Anyone detect any problem with this load or have a better load idea?
    I thank you for taking the time to read and to consider my proposal.

Col C (aka) Follow Me

I am the Infantry, Queen of Battle, Follow Me

In Remembrance

That should be about a mid rangeload. No trouble. Take that girl shootin' Grandpa.
    Tennessee Hunter Education Instructor

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to
    restrain the people; it is an instrument for the
    people to restrain the government-lest it come to
    dominate our lives and interests"
    Patrick Henry

Boolit Master
    I use about the same load in my Marlin 1894C.Only difference is I use 38 special case with a Lee 358158 round flat boolit using 3.5grs. of Bullseye powder.Very lite in the recoil department and accurate enough at 100 yards to keep a steel plate swinging almost every shot.
    I think your load in a magnum case with 4. grs of bullseye would be about the same........Terry

Boolit Grand Master
    That load should be a virtual identical replacement for the venerable 3.5 grain Bullseye 38 special load that has launched millions of 358-311 boolits downrange over the last hundred and twelve or so years. If your 358 diameter is large enough to suit your Marlin things should go wonderfully well.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Be sure to get some real load manuals, preferably just for cast boolits. Always cross reference your loads with other sources. You'll feel a lot more confident in your load choices. The more books to cross reference, the better. I suggest the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook #4 and if you can find a #3, get that also. The regular Lyman #49 is worth it too, it also has some cast boolit loads.

I almost found out about cross referencing loads the hard way when I started reloading. Luckily, I worked up the load slowly and stopped when primers flattened and the firing pin dent started to look like a volcano. Later, cross checking the load, my load books MAX load was 3 grains over what other manuals suggested as the MAX load.