WidenersTitan ReloadingRepackboxLee Precision
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyLoad DataReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sticky

Boolit Buddy

Stickys on this website suck. Why aren't they edited by experts so that they can be concise and accurate? I read through 24 pages of **** on high velocity in the 6.5 only to find out that it is a hoax.

Stickys aren't much better than a Google search.

Boolit Master

You mad Bro?
    Pro Patria-Ne Desit Virtus

Super Moderator

What do you want for free? Your money back?

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    It would be more than welcome for someone in the throes of aggravation to do exactly as you say, and do an edited version of the topic. It would have to be voluntary, as no one gets paid a dime here.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Banned

and just how would you like it edited?
    for the pro or the con side of things?

the very, very best way to figure out if it's possible is to read what was written by everybody.
    take what works and figure the rest out as you go.

Moderator Emeritus

HV in 6.5, that wasn't a hoax ...now the Saga of the "Asperly Aimless" ...that was a hoax...but a good read.

The Info on long winded sticky threads, is valuable, no doubt. Now the occasional drift and extraneous posts are just the nature of the beast.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Super Moderator

Well, I guess we can at least appreciate the fact that he took the time read the Stickies.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm not mad, I just see where some great work could be done. For example there are several stickys on powder coating that are almost 120 pages long. There is enough experience on powder coating now that good solid info could be condensed into a few pages that would really be helpful and ease a lot of frustration and trial and error that wouldn't be necessary.

There is bad info mixed with good. It seems that if something has some relevance it ends up as a sticky as is, unedited, and they seem to grow and grow and grow. It would be nice if stickys were good proven information that was concise. If one wants to bake a cake a recipe book has a recipe that takes up about a quarter of a page. If one had to read through 118 pages of gibberish with some good lines buried in garbage baking a cake would be laughable. Powder coating isn't much more difficult than baking a cake…if the recipe is good to start with.

This is a suggestion and nothing more...

Super Moderator

You literally have to weed through all this stuff. That's how it is. There is a TON of good info to glean, just try not to let it overwhelm you. They put the info up there for all of our benefit, free of charge. No one has the time to go through and do all the editing you are suggesting. You need to condense it for yourself.

Grouchy Old Curmudgeon

Well....it's like this.....the topics were started as discussions. Then with a site this big and various people experimenting and getting at times different results they can become quite long. They are pretty much opinion polls with what works for who. Yes there could be a "Readers Digest condensed" version but generally the people reading the topics glean what they wanted to know along the way and the topic ends. That is what makes it hard on newer people coming or just getting interested in a topic....it can be a long read. Your idea is a sound one and you are more than welcome I'm sure to take on the task for the ones that interest you. As Ric said....no one is paid here....so it would simply be a gift to the site and most people here simply do not have the time....or in my case the skill to take on that much work. And the old sticky would still have to remain.

I nominate riathon to do the editing sense it was his idea and seems to think he has a good idea as to what should be in there. Do I hear a second and or a third?
    CD
    When you find you are in deep trouble, look straight ahead,keep your mouth shut, and say nothing.

A man who is good enough to shed his blood for the country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards

Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I'm curious as to how you determined what was bad and what was good info? Is this your expert opinion and if so, then perhaps you should volunteer to handle all the stickies?

I'll agree that some are extremely long but there is a lot to be learned also from the things posted . . . some may be wrong and some may be right . . . but on this site, members usually post what they've tried. It's up to the reader to sort through it and then determine what they want to take away from it and try for themselves. I'm not trying be be argumentative . . but no one gets paid on this site and it is a free site . . . if a person is looking for "expert" information . . . then go buy a book on the subject and read what the "expert" author has to say . . . but just remember that the author may not have all the answers as well. We all learn from each other but in life, there are no "short-cuts". All a person can do is gather information, make an "informed" decision as to how to do something and then try it . . . but not everything is going to turn out perfect the first time. If it had, my ancestors would have been reading by the light of a light bulb way before Edison perfected it.

You mention powder coating . . . I have never done it. But if you feel that reading the stickies and information here is to lengthy and "cluttered" with un-necessary information that may or may not be good or bad . . . perhaps you should write up the concise way to do it along with photographs and have the moderators put it up as your "sticky"? But I can guarantee that when you do, others who do powder coat and who may be have more experience, will read it and make comments according to their experiences.

Sorry . . . but you post sort of reminds me of some of my students I had in years past and who are part of the "computer generation". When given a research assignment, they never wanted to do any digging and reading to come up with the information nor did they consider that there were many, many references out there that were available that often contained conflicting information . . . instead, they wanted to have "instant results". And while you refer to recipes and recipe books as being concise . . . . I am from the generation where cakes were baked without recipes and there were many, many ways to make a chocolate cake or an apple pie . . . but the results were always the same . . . a good cake or a delicious pie.

Do you know of another site that you can get the same information from?? NOTHING is perfect for everyone, can't be, cause we're ALL different. Take what is here for free and use it to your best advantage. Or leave. Pretty simple. JW

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by leeggen View Post
    I nominate riathon to do the editing sense it was his idea and seems to think he has a good idea as to what should be in there. Do I hear a second and or a third?
    CD
    2nd....call for vote
    Pro Patria-Ne Desit Virtus

Banned

I was very fortunate to have grown up the son of a very avid shooter, reloader and caster, so I had some know how from jump street. Losyt interest in most of the reloading and casting stuff through teen age years and then became interested in my early 20s again (pre-internet). Bottom line I learned from hangnging out at gun shops and gun shows, reading whatever I could find (love my old Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook) and many pestering phone calls to dad. Oh, and some trial and error there too.

All this said, when I became internet savvy and started joining forums, I learned an awful lot quick, it started trying to learn about an old motorcycle I was messing with, but it was obviously natural I'd gravitate to handloading sites. I thought myself to be a mighty knowlegeable guy with regards to casting and reloading, but have gained knowlege exponentially since joining a few forums, this one in particular.

So, after learning a lot the hard way over the years, forgive me me if I don't just fall all over myself when someone comes on here shrieking and griping that instant gratification doesn't come right to him and he might (gasp!) actually have to read a little bit (heaven forbid you might learn something you hadn't intended along the way). Most of the conservations in those stickies are pretty entertaining, at least to me they are.

Sorry if I come across as being nasty, but there are plenty of other forums, if you don't like the way it is, find another one or propose a suggestion for making this one better. Senseless whinning tends to irritate me and when you open a thread with "this sucks" it gets under my skin fast.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    I was very fortunate to have grown up the son of a very avid shooter, reloader and caster, so I had some know how from jump street. Losyt interest in most of the reloading and casting stuff through teen age years and then became interested in my early 20s again (pre-internet). Bottom line I learned from hangnging out at gun shops and gun shows, reading whatever I could find (love my old Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook) and many pestering phone calls to dad. Oh, and some trial and error there too.

All this said, when I became internet savvy and started joining forums, I learned an awful lot quick, it started trying to learn about an old motorcycle I was messing with, but it was obviously natural I'd gravitate to handloading sites. I thought myself to be a mighty knowlegeable guy with regards to casting and reloading, but have gained knowlege exponentially since joining a few forums, this one in particular.

So, after learning a lot the hard way over the years, forgive me me if I don't just fall all over myself when someone comes on here shrieking and griping that instant gratification doesn't come right to him and he might (gasp!) actually have to read a little bit (heaven forbid you might learn something you hadn't intended along the way). Most of the conservations in those stickies are pretty entertaining, at least to me they are.

Sorry if I come across as being nasty, but there are plenty of other forums, if you don't like the way it is, find another one or propose a suggestion for making this one better. Senseless whinning tends to irritate me and when you open a thread with "this sucks" it gets under my skin fast.

I did propose a suggestion.

And yes, I will write a little primer coating...

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    2nd....call for vote
    Aye ermm I mean third

I'll freely admit I've gotten lost in some threads that are now stikki's , I'll also admit it wasn't always this way ,you see once upon a time there were no such critters,nope not all are good but one couldn't tell what was good if they've never had the bad ... Worse what's good for you may not be good for me or vice versa but together and overall they do make the whole [shrugz]
    Je suis Charlie

" To sit in judgment of those things which you perceive to be wrong or imperfect is to be one more person who is part of judgment, evil or imperfection."
    Wayne Dyer
    if it was easy would it be as worthy ? or as long of lasting impression ? the hardest of lessons are the best of teachers [shrugz]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLzFhOslZPM

Banned

I think we need to make this a sticky.

Quote Originally Posted by Blammer View Post
    I think we need to make this a sticky.
    I second that. I kind like to read all of the extempores stuff as it makes me realize that I'm perfect.

Really this is how we learn what works and why.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bedbugbilly View Post
    I'm curious as to how you determined what was bad and what was good info? Is this your expert opinion and if so, then perhaps you should volunteer to handle all the stickies?

I'll agree that some are extremely long but there is a lot to be learned also from the things posted . . . some may be wrong and some may be right . . . but on this site, members usually post what they've tried. It's up to the reader to sort through it and then determine what they want to take away from it and try for themselves. I'm not trying be be argumentative . . but no one gets paid on this site and it is a free site . . . if a person is looking for "expert" information . . . then go buy a book on the subject and read what the "expert" author has to say . . . but just remember that the author may not have all the answers as well. We all learn from each other but in life, there are no "short-cuts". All a person can do is gather information, make an "informed" decision as to how to do something and then try it . . . but not everything is going to turn out perfect the first time. If it had, my ancestors would have been reading by the light of a light bulb way before Edison perfected it.

You mention powder coating . . . I have never done it. But if you feel that reading the stickies and information here is to lengthy and "cluttered" with un-necessary information that may or may not be good or bad . . . perhaps you should write up the concise way to do it along with photographs and have the moderators put it up as your "sticky"? But I can guarantee that when you do, others who do powder coat and who may be have more experience, will read it and make comments according to their experiences.

Sorry . . . but you post sort of reminds me of some of my students I had in years past and who are part of the "computer generation". When given a research assignment, they never wanted to do any digging and reading to come up with the information nor did they consider that there were many, many references out there that were available that often contained conflicting information . . . instead, they wanted to have "instant results". And while you refer to recipes and recipe books as being concise . . . . I am from the generation where cakes were baked without recipes and there were many, many ways to make a chocolate cake or an apple pie . . . but the results were always the same . . . a good cake or a delicious pie.
    Oh, I just love this subject!

Are some of the posts hoaxes? I think not!
    It must be a hoax if I can't duplicate the results. Nope, his rifle is different than mine.

I get the same group size with cast as I get with jacketed at any practical range. I have read this or similar a number of times. What a wheel barrow load of horse dropped fertilizer!
    I see people shoot scoped hunting rifles at fifty feet or less. Is it a joke he thinks this is a practical range?
    We have all seen abysmal shooters. Are they bragging about the same group size?

So why the varying results?
    I see three general reasons: Different shooters, different resources, and different rifles.
    Different shooters have different skill levels and different testing methodologies.
    Different shooters have different tooling and supplies available. Different moulds, too!
    Dimensions differ a lot in different rifles, especially surplus military rifles.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast