Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersReloading Everything
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationRepackboxLoad Data
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: licence to sell dies??

If you're not on a list by now..... :-p

Boolit Buddy
    Along the ITAR theme, the red tape must be taken seriously. I considered becoming a small time gun show dealer when I retired. The changes in law and regulation as it pertains to FFLs over my working career made abandoning this idea an easy decision to make. The latest change in regulation with ITAR would make me uneasy as a die maker too. Whether you need to pay the ITAR fee or not, use your own judgement but I would guess the ATF and State Department would say it is required. Either way, I would not want to take the chance because there is no way I could finance the legal fees to defend myself. It is all a shame. This is such a great hobby but one that is becoming very difficult to justify.

Components to reload have dramatically increased in cost, have become scarce (a bit better now) and the prices of reloading equipment is through the roof. So much that I have sold my presses and have been reducing many of my weapons.

I look at vendors who make the dies and can only guess at the time they have in the manufacturing of the die and not counting at any R&D time. Let's say you can charge $1250 for a set of dies and have a 100% markup on your time and materials. You would need to sell 4 sets just to pay the ITAR fee and are still underwater on your net counting tax owed. It will be interesting to see how this plays out in the coming months and I hope these interpretations can be changed. But as of now, my heart goes out to the Gunsmiths and Die Makers.

Boolit Buddy
    But I still love visiting this forum and bet I always will.

Quote Originally Posted by dtknowles View Post
    Yes, tell your representative that ITAR needs to be reformed. Many ITAR restrictions could be lifted without harm to national security and it would help U.S. businesses and our economy. ITAR is out of control and now is being used as a tool for gun control and political fights.

Tim
    Tim couldn't agree with you more.
    BTW sorry that I did not ask sooner how is the aftermath in your neighbourhood hopefully you and your loved ones are not affected much.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Regulator. View Post
    Tim couldn't agree with you more.
    BTW sorry that I did not ask sooner how is the aftermath in your neighbourhood hopefully you and your loved ones are not affected much.
    If you are talking about the Louisiana Flooding, yes I am fine and so are my friends and family. The flooding in our area was only a little worse the typical. The extreme flooding is/was well west of here, over in the Baton Rouge and Lafayette areas. We keep getting rain almost every day and a Tropical Wave is moving this way. My yard has not been dry in more than a month but no flooding. I am on high ground 15 ft above sea level

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Prospector Howard View Post
    Judging by your posts it looks like you're in the process of making your first set of dies. After you've accomplished this little feat and added up the time it takes, figure out how much money you'd make per hour to make dies and sell them. That's why there's only a hand full of individuals that have been successfull in the endeavor, just sayin.
    Thats the spirit……..crush the mans dream before he even gets started. Your living on the wrong continent. Oppression is NOT a way of life here. Small business is needed and encouraged in this country. Its the fabric of how we got here. If all the small business men (which I am for 35 years) tried to be compensated for our time, a shirt would cost $100 a loaf of bread $20. Its enough for small business owners, well me at least to make enough to pay bills, save a little each month and not have to work for guys like you. You clearly do not understand the concept of small business in America.

Go get em' Vinny! Keep us posted!

Hey bucko, don't be jumpin on my case for explaining the realities of this swaging stuff. I've been around this for a long time and I've been one of the ones that encourages people to make their own dies. Making your own dies and making them to sell are two different worlds. The number of die makers that have made it work can be counted practically on one hand. I've watched about 15 people jump on here and say they're going to make dies to sell, and once they realize the amount of work it takes to even make one set, they are never heard from again. And then there are the ones that have taken peoples money and ripped people off that sent them a deposit. I'd love to see many, many, skilled machinists making swaging dies and selling them here. It's just one of those niches that has proven to be extremely difficult to make work. I've made a number of sets for myself and family and friends and unless you've done it yourself, and can speak from experience; it might be a good idea to watch the way you talk about others around here. Also, I'm a small business owner for almost 40 years and there are things that work and things that don't. You're the one that doesn't understand the concept of small business. Time is money.
    Never in history has there been a situation so bad that the government couldn't make it worse.
    A foolish faith in authority is the enemy of the truth.

Banned

Seems to me like you opened the door for any criticism with your comments to vinny. Your comments were less than encouraging to him. I've never been one to over look a bully.

btw- The point you missed is there are some professions that it's impossible to charge fully for the time put into a finished product.
    "Thats all I have to say about that."

bucko?.............

And you completely missed his original posts where he was asking very basic questions on metal working. It was quite evident that he just got started and within a week he's already talking about possibly selling dies. My comment was not bullying in the least, it was just hey; see if you can make your first set; do some math and see if it makes sense. Taking a comment from Feb out of context and playing internet social justice warrior/cheerleader is something best left to the liberal left types---especially when you can easily see that he came on here made a little splash and hasn't been back in a long time.
    Never in history has there been a situation so bad that the government couldn't make it worse.
    A foolish faith in authority is the enemy of the truth.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Prospector Howard View Post
    And you completely missed his original posts where he was asking very basic questions on metal working. It was quite evident that he just got started and within a week he's already talking about possibly selling dies. My comment was not bullying in the least, it was just hey; see if you can make your first set; do some math and see if it makes sense. Taking a comment from Feb out of context and playing internet social justice warrior/cheerleader is something best left to the liberal left types---especially when you can easily see that he came on here made a little splash and hasn't been back in a long time.
    Get em Vinny but also be weary of losing money. NO small business owner has lasted for 30 plus years let alone 5 years taking huge cuts every year. No I am not a small business owner nor do I intend to be. When ones revenue is diluted by their liabilities then you cannot be successful.

Prospector was just saying in order to have a car do what it needs you need a wheel first. I have been here a while and do not see Prospector as a negative person. You clearly have misunderstood what he was saying ncbear.

I must admit I too once thought I could make money in this business off a simple design and was shot down by a lot of folk here on the site. I packed my proverbial bags and that was it.

The real lesson here to me is supply and demand. Frankly there is not a big enough demand vs the supply. Unless someone can sell something dynamite at a low cost it may not be a wise decision. So newbies to the art will have a hell of a time succeeding. Warn them now and that is what Prospector was doing.

I already know your rebuttal nc but lets help this guy decide before he invests his hard earned money to something he may not know what he is getting into. That is what Prospector was trying to tell him.
    "Consequently we move away from other shooters to remain focused on our passion, as our ideas are quickly dismissed or misunderstood by others. Sharing does not come easily for swagers, not because they are necessarily selfish, but because they have been whittling away in their only little world for so long, that being able to relate to others what they understand is no simple task."

​Mentor

Itar

You do not need to register to export of file for export permits for Swaging dies.
    If you have any doubt to this, contact https://www.pmddtc.state.gov/