Load DataWidenersInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Reloading Everything Repackbox
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ill have a beer instead

Moderator Emeritus

Friends over tonight to help work on the brew shed, served up 4 pitchers as we worked! Best part of home brew is 2+ cases of beer cost me a whopping $12 or so! And I can brew a wide variety of beers and usually have 3 kinds on tap. My house ale that is most popular I brew 11 gallons at a time, IPA's and stouts 5 gallons at a time. With 10 kegs I can have some backup carbonating outside the fridge, and dark beers like stouts benefit from a 4 month aging in the keg at room temp. Right now I have 4 kegs that are aging, Barleywine, Chocolate Milk Oatmeal Stout that tastes like red velvet cake, a regular stout, and an experimental Morat which is a mulberry mead. The mead takes a year to be good, 2 years is better! Stout at least 4 months and 6 is better. Barleywine can vary but I am guessing 12 months plus for this batch. These are all high abv beer/mead that are 10% alcohol minimum... the last batch of Morat I tapped at 6 months and it was very good but needed more time, nobody complained at Christmas at Mom's house where it was gone in a day(45 people... yes I have a big family). I brought 2 kegs, my house ale and the mead and both were gone by the end of the 3 day get together.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Driver man View Post
    Diabetics can drink beer or spirits in moderation with no ill effects (a bottle of beer or a couple of nips)as there is no carbs (sugars) in it.
    Last time I looked (a long time ago) there was carbs and alcohol both in there. I can eat birthday cake in very small pieces without the icing, but shortly thereafter they show up in my blood tests.
    Some folks can exercise enough to burn up the carbs, but my age doesn't allow it.
    Dr told me if it tasted good, walk to the bathroom and spit it out.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Whew, Its about 80deg at the moment. I started to mow my lawns yesterday but the heat beat me and I just did a small part of the back. Now when I mow my lawns it requires me to first find the lawn mower and then fix it. Usually minor repairs but in this instance the carburetor had disintegrated and posed a challenge. The mower is an Australian made Victor two stroke which I picked up used at a good price a few years back and had done good service . Parts were missing and I reasoned that that had happened when I last used it without noticing and it must had kept running until I turned it off ,that being the case it might just start. After the usual round of cleaning the plug and spinning it a few times to get things circulating I gave the pull start a few hard pulls and no result. I have a can of "Start You Bastard" (that's its true brand name) and gave it a squirt which produced good results with the engine firing into life and revving its guts out for a few seconds then stopping. A quick look at all the plumbing of the carby showed a crankcase breather feeding into an area that used to be part of the throttle control . The needle valve and float section was intact and in the remaining part of the carb so I plugged the CC hose into the vacuume line which feeds somewhere into the engine. Gave the primer about a dozen pumps and pulled the starter rope. Instant success with a good running engine but with limited throttle control. Anyway the lawns had been ignored for sometime so I attacked them with vigor for a short time. As my vigor flagged my thirst increased so I stopped for a beer having done just a small part of the back. The beer was so good I decided that I would have another and then being very responsible decided that using machinery after having a beer was setting a bad example to anyone and thought I would have another beer so I did. I have planted a small selection of Maori potato (purple), butter beans (DwarfCherokee) and green beans (Dwarf French Harvester) about 3 weeks ago and as this is in an area where the deer got to them last year I covered them with chicken coop wire. The seed potato really took off and are starting to flower and about half the beans poked their stalks out of the ground and everything looked good. Until today, I went out to finish the lawns and checked on the garden and couldn't see the beans. The wire netting was there but the beans were gone ! The potato plants were untouched. Closer investigation showed the wire netting was no longer fastened to the post in one corner and the staple had been pulled out. No tracks at all altho there are deer droppings around various parts of the section. I have refixed the netting and strengthened everything . Ill replant the beans tomorrow. In the meantime the lawnmower started easily and I went over the lawn at a half cut and then lowered the catcher and did them again. I noticed a clunk thump from the catcher that sounded out of the norm so inspected the catcher contents. I am going to leave the mower carburetor as is as I have found the missing pieces, they are no longer serviceable. As its unseasonably hot I have decided its time for a beer
    The Bird of Time has but a little way
    To fly-and Lo! the bird is on the wing

Cool

If you're in the Baltimore/Wash. D.C. area and like beer, I have a brewery and one of its brews to recommend: Union Craft Brewing, particularly their Old Pro, a sour beer that's wonderfully refreshing in hot weather and great with spicy food!

Banned

20 degrees and snow here today.

60s and sunny.....but cooling off tonight. Probably have to switch from beer to bourbon.
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Well another year has gone by, I've cut the lawns a few more times and invested in a new mower. I've shifted the garden to another area to try and avoid the deer and possum invading the plots. The summer has started with temperatures sitting in the mid seventies and low humidity and everything is so green. The dawn chorus of birds starts around 5.30am and leads into bright warm golden days in my valley. Its 10 in the morning and I'm sitting on my deck with a cup of coffee contemplating the day , listening to the chirp of birds and the babble of the stream running through the bush and alongside the house. I might have a beer later.
    The Bird of Time has but a little way
    To fly-and Lo! the bird is on the wing

Well good for you, I might as well join you in a cold one myself. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year from Texas.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Boolit Bub
    I have one mic ultra in the frig, think I'll drink it.

Boolit Master
    Had four bottles of Broon (Newcastle Brown Ale) yesterday evening. Still my favorite; even though it is no longer brewed in Newcastle.

Boolit Grand Master

At the end of most days I can be found sitting in the open shop door enjoying a beer. Most of my friends know this and pretty often a few of them will stop by.

Boolit Master
    I have a screen porch at the back of my office. Back in the day it became so much of a gathering point, that I had to put up a dark screen on the side facing the street. Gathering would start about 4:30 pm and go on for a spell. Beer was in good supply. Thank goodness for a wet county!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123