WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
RepackboxTitan ReloadingLoad DataInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cheap gravy

Cheap gravy

Three level TBS of flour, one tsp of bullion, your favorite, chicken/beef, and pepper to your taste
    1 cup of cold water, add the flour and bullion, pepper in a small jar with lid, shake till flour dissolves.
    Cook on low/medium heat and STIR till consistency liked. I usually do 1 cup per person.
    You can also add ground sausage/beef over a Grand's biscuit or toast for that SOS look.
    Also works for nuked or mashed potato's, or anywhere you would use gravy.

Pan drippings if any. If I am cooking a roast I always add enough water to make sure I have drippings for gravy.

Also I like to add a splash of milk if I have it. Makes it less transparent and adds body.

What I was trying to point out is that all you need is flour, bullion, and pepper, the bullion puts a fair body, and it is definitely not clear.
    Something to keep at the deer lease or around the house in case you don't have milk. And, it doesn't taste like just flour. LOL Try it

Moderator Emeritus

Instead of powdered bullion use Better than Bullion base paste. Less salt and much better flavor.

What is "Better than Bullion base paste" where do I find it?

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master Boaz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    Instead of powdered bullion use Better than Bullion base paste. Less salt and much better flavor.

I have seen this but didn't know the 'nature' of it , less salt interests me . I also figured the shelf life would be short because it's a paste ?

I leave powdered bullion at the deer camp year round, does this turn? Shelf life makes a big difference to me.

I believe it does have an expiration date on it. It also (by my understanding) has to be kept refrigerated after opening.

Good stuff though

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Boaz View Post
    I have seen this but didn't know the 'nature' of it , less salt interests me . I also figured the shelf life would be short because it's a paste ?
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/10323480?w...401026&veh=sem

I keep it in the refrigerator...I suspect it'll last a year or so in the frig.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Moderator Emeritus

Yes it will last a year or more in the fridge. But once you taste it and start using it you won't have it around that long! I toss a little in my beef gravy, it makes a good quick soup... if you local Walmart doesn't have it Amazon grocery carries it but it is higher in price. It tastes like beef instead of salty fat! The chicken isn't quite as good but it works, the turkey version isn't bad at all, and the ham base is super for redeye gravy!

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master Boaz's Avatar
    Well heck ! Now I have to get some !

Boolit Master

I'm buying some today, having soup after ice fishing, fish tomorrow if I'm lucky enough.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    McCormick Brown GRavy Mix. Best I have ever found! Powder comes in a 21oz plastsic bottle from Costco. Perfect lump-less gravy evertime....in the microwave! No shelf life.

Also excellent for seasoning Quinoa (the latest health craze) when makin it. I use Quinoa in place of rice, potatoes, almost anything in soups and other dishes. Makes a good side. Uber-healthy stuff. You can even eat it as a breakfast food (without the gravy mix of course!).

bangerjim

Boolit Master

I like just plain milk gravy/sawmill gravy over home made biscuits and if we want more body just let the flour brown before you add the milk making my self hungry.
    Are my kids/grandkids more important than "o"'s kids, to me they are,darn tooting they are!!! They deserve the same armed protection afforded "o"'s kids.
    I have been hoodwinked but not by"o"
    In God we trust,in "o" never trust
    Support those that support the Constitution and the 2nd Amendant

Boolit Master
    Down here, If you are going to make a gravy( or many other dishes ), First you make a roux. But the Better than Bouillon sounds good to add to my roux. I will give it a try.

Boolit Master
    For all of you using the better than bullion, I've got a better alternative that we use. It's still no substitute for real stock but it's a close second. We get it at our local Meijer but check Wal Mart or your local grocer to see if they carry it.

http://www.soupsonline.com/m-85-lb-jamisons.aspx
    You can read all the stuff online, in the magazines and in books and buy into the hypothesis but if you don't actually load up and test them then you know nothing until you do.

Moderator Emeritus

I will stick to BTB after reading that label! Where is the BEEF? BTB ingredients

Ingredients

Roasted Beef with Concentrated Beef Stock, Salt, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Sugar, Corn Syrup Solids, Flavoring (Dried Onion, Dried Garlic and Spice Extractives), Autolyzed Yeast Extract, Dried Whey (Milk), Potato Flour, Caramel Color, Corn Oil, Xanthan Gum. Contains: Milk, Soybean.

The Jamisons...

Salt, beef fat (BHA, propyl gallate and citric acid added to protect flavor), dextrose, hydrolyzed soy protein, corn gluten and wheat protein (contains salt, caramel color), food starch-modified, monosodium glutamate, onion powder, caramel color, beef extract, lactic acid, disodium inosinate, disodium guanylate, natural flavoring, oleoresin paprika.

Banned

about anything simmered in a can of cream of mushroom soup gets my vote

Boolit Master

They gravy we make you can add sauage,ground meat,real bacon chips,or what ever you want.I pefer just plan gravy.
    Are my kids/grandkids more important than "o"'s kids, to me they are,darn tooting they are!!! They deserve the same armed protection afforded "o"'s kids.
    I have been hoodwinked but not by"o"
    In God we trust,in "o" never trust
    Support those that support the Constitution and the 2nd Amendant

Moderator Emeritus

Great tips on gravies. My dad was one of the few I've ever known who insisted on Mom's making gravy with fish, using the fish grease. He absolutely doted on it, as he did on a good plate of fried fish, grits and biscuits. Watching him eat that was like watching devout people praying! Seriously! That tough ol' Marine just melted around a good meal like that!

One other good use for boullion my wife utilizes it for, is in cooking things like green beans, peas and other stuff. She'll put in about half a boullion cube and a little olive oil in the water when she's cooking them, and it REALLY perks up the taste considerably. Give it a try and see what you think. I've been in the mood for a good mess of lima beans with all the fixin's, like onion, some mushrooms, a little hot sauce, salt & pepper, garlic, and whatever looks like it might go good in there! A neighbor who used to own a popular seafood restaurant down south of us once, taught me that if you let these concoctions simmer several hours, it enhances the taste and reduces the gas they'll produce considerably! I've come now to only fix them when I have that much time to simmer them. Awfully good eatin'!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast