Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRepackbox
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Inline Fabrication Wideners

Thread: found cheap lapping compound

Boolit Man

found cheap lapping compound

If anyone is interested in making their own lapping compound i found this site that carries silicon carbide and aluminum oxide powder. The prices you cant beat anywhere check it out. http://www.gotgrit.com/

Boolit Grand Master

Find an old Machinists Handbook and it has a section on lapping that tells how long to let grinder "ash" ( the broken down wheel thats covering the gaurds and bench) sit in what weight oil to seperate diffrent grits to use for lapping. Alot of good information in those books. I have one here that dosnt show v belts in it even pre dates them

Boolit Man
    I was thinking of using Vaseline as a binding agent and mixing in the grit i need with it it should work.

Boolit Mold
    Novel idea, diamond compound is insanely expensive. I can find better things to spend $16 and $20 on and diamond compound is not one of them especially since it comes in syringe applicators as CC/mL measurement.

Boolit Grand Master

Theres always clover brand available both mixed and dry grits. Vaseline should work as will oils and water even. a thick gear oil 80-90 wieght might be betteras it will allow flow and even out of coating easier.

Boolit Master

Couldn't you use valve grinding compound? It's cheap and available at almost any auto parts store.
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

Boolit Man
    if u can find a 1/4 pound of lapping grit cheaper on another sight let me know.