Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Load Data
RepackboxLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWideners
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: 30-40 krag screws

Banned

30-40 krag screws

i've finally gotten around to putting my redfield peep sight on the krag.

i still have the rear sight on my rifle....

but i would like to take it off. i tried to use the screws on the rear sight but i don't like them, they stick up too far and likely to snag on my clothes(i really mean it!!! ) or break off inside of the rifle(what i don't want).

does anyone know of a "blind" type of screw i could get?

knowing me, if i would leave them open, the screw threads would be $!#@ up.
    thanks sharpsshooter for your post image.

Boolit Master

I did this the other day. I put the screws in a vice, protecting the threads. Just cut the screwdriver slot past the head a bit more, then filed off the heads. Ended up with set screws with a slot.
    Be well
    When you read the fine print you get an education
    when you ignore the fine print you get experience

Let me see if I understand the problem correctly. You removed the rear sight, and then tried using the rear sight screws to plug the holes and they stick up too far? If that is so, then I'd hesitate to file down or cut off the original sight screws because they are very difficult to find replacements for if you want to re-install the rear sight. The last pair of original screws I saw on e-bay were $45. What many people have done is to fill the holes with black iron wire, just by putting in a short length of it that is of approx. the correct diameter, and tapping it down to spread out and fill the hole. That can be blued, but if you ever want to take it back out it can be tricky--although not impossible. Another option would be to fill the holes with black stained/dyed epoxy. That's a lot easier to drill back out. If you believe that you'll never want to reverse it then go with the self-made set screws or the black iron. Another idea is to drill the holes out to a slightly larger size and tap them with a more common thread for which ready made set screws are available. You could also fill the holes with solder, which would melt out if you wanted to reverse it. Some solders can be blackened. Just some more ideas for you.

Boolit Master
    Cheap easy fix. Get a candle and drop a few drops of melted wax in the holes. Then just rub with fingers till the drops are smooth with the surface of the barrel. No need to chop up the old screws and if you decide to put the old issue rear sight on just toothpick the wax out of the holes and screw in the screws. Those old krag rear sights and screws can cost some bucks if you need them. And I don't think the rear sight screws are a common thread size. Frank

Banned
    frank46,
    thats a really great idea!!! i would hate to ruin anything more on the old krag. it used to have a bishops stock(1950-60's) but i was fortunate enough to find the original stock that my grandpap left. i did spend a week with fine steel wool and then i did some of johnson paste wax. i also bought a lower band with a sling swivel. the only thing that i don't have( handguard ) i can do without. except the 30" barrel that has been cut down to 21 5/8". mine has been bubbasized.

using a drop of wax from a candle....i'd have never thought about it

Boolit Master
    Do you still have the old bishops stock? I've been looking to sporterize my Krag.

Kevin
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank46 View Post
    Cheap easy fix. Get a candle and drop a few drops of melted wax in the holes. Then just rub with fingers till the drops are smooth with the surface of the barrel. No need to chop up the old screws and if you decide to put the old issue rear sight on just toothpick the wax out of the holes and screw in the screws. Those old krag rear sights and screws can cost some bucks if you need them. And I don't think the rear sight screws are a common thread size. Frank
    Yes, the way to go. Krag screws are some odd ball French thread. If you need to chase the threads on those holes, you will never find the correct tap.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by StrawHat View Post
    Do you still have the old bishops stock? I've been looking to sporterize my Krag.

Kevin
    yes, but my dad wants it. sorry.

Boolit Master

Forgive me I should of known about the ***** threads, I to have used the wax fix, found a bit off putty or playdoe works good too just use a black marker to make it look better. I have yet to find a lathe that will cut those oldschool fractional metric threads.
    Be well.
    When you read the fine print you get an education
    when you ignore the fine print you get experience

Boolit Master
    The thread is .156x30tpi I believe. It is not metric, but an oddball nonetheless.