RepackboxTitan ReloadingWidenersReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load Data
Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bullet Traps Almost completed

Boolit Grand Master
    When it comes right down to it, fine sand is probably superior (if you can confine and berm it) to mulch. Tunneling is much less of a problem and it can be sifted more easily for spent bullets than mulch. It is also more easily reshaped and placed back where it was and minor shaping to replace worn areas is easily done.
    Last edited by 35remington; 02-05-2016 at 02:06 PM.

If you can't find conveyor belts, try looking for front door mats, not the cheap ones but I've seen ones that look pretty durable. Granger sells mats for comfort for standing in place long periods. The feed stores sell stall mats, I use one in my pick-up to cushion loads and protect the metal of the bed, those dang things are extremely tough, a bit expensive too.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Banned

I always refer to GROOVE because many confuse BORE with it and use pin gauges to measure WHAT?
    My pin gauge went through so I need such and such boolit diameter but what about GROOVE?
    Bore is the first cut to make the hole. It would be easier to just say measure the bore but that is still wrong. It can be interchangeable as long as the reader understands but many do not. Why would you measure with a pin gauge?

Boolit Bub
    Good tips....

Boolit Bub
    I got the steel into the back of both traps today and got one filled up. Just to see how they would do, I couldn't resist putting a few rounds into it, emptying and seeing how it worked. I shot about 17 9mm at it from 10 yards. Probably 13 of them were in a 2" group. The rubber did not come out the hole in the cardboard, but some will I'm sure. I actually filled it in sections with cardboard in between so I could get an idea on penetration. The 3/8" steel has 30" of rubber in front of it and I did not have a single bullet go more than 15". The recovered bullets were in great shape (not that it really matters). I think one of them hit another one and that is what the dent is from in it. This looks like it is going to meet my needs for pistol shooting very well. It will be a major PIA to empty and fill back up, but I won't do it but maybe once per year so that won't be bad. I tried to pack it down about 3 times when filling it and marked the top when finished. Picked it up with the forks on my skidsteer and bounced it a few times and the level went down about 2", so I think that will be a good way to get rid of the tunnelling effect. Anyway I said I would give an update when finished. Here is a pic of the bullets I recovered today. I will get some pics sometime this week of the finished product in use.

Attachment 161446We tested a new .45ACP carbine yesterday and spent 96 rounds into this cheap little trash can target/mulch interior. Our groups were all less than 3 or 4 inches. Each magazine full we shot at a different spot which was at least 6 inches away from the previous target center (spot). I figured that the new spot alignment would cause the last/previous tunneling effect to collapse as a new one tried to form. It worked, no escapees from either side or rear of trash can. This method worked fine just rotating spot center alignment in front of only 4 different locations. I have targets that have 5 different small bulls on the same paper (aprox. 20" tall X 14" wide, or so) those target papers should do the same.
    That white corrugated piece of plastic target backer is stapled onto the replaceable wood front just to back the paper target and provide us with clean cut target holes, behind it the wood is all shot out. The bags that the mulch came in are all stacked on top of the mulch and just behind the shot out wood, they keep the mulch inside.

You'll have to adapt as you go, all said thus far, these are pretty effective cheap lead traps.

OS OK
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Buddy
    Truck mud flaps from local auto parts store for front cover/mulch retainer. Tough and cheap.
    Lost in Penn's Woods.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12